Towing & Hauling

Newbie to the forum.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 02:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie to the forum.....

Looking for info about an F150 longbed pickup. Typed in yahoo search, "Ford forums", got this forum. Searched, and found valueable info.

I'm in the process of purchasing a 1986 F150 longbed with 5.0 motor, auto, but it has over 190K. I don't know all the details, maintainance, etc, etc. Police impound vehicle. Looks ok, but I need get under the hood and check it out.

Anyway, I will be starting a Hauling business in Jan 2006 and using the above truck. And I need help . First, I need to know how much can they vehicle can tow? Second, what kind of hitch should I purchase? (u-haul, drawtite,etc.) Class 1,2,3,4,or 5?
Third, If I buy a class 4 or 5 hitch, can I transfer the hitch to another F-150? I will be getting a trans flush if I purchase it. Fourth, Should a put a trans cooler on this truck? That depends on how much weight I will be towing.

I plan on pulling a small utility trailer 5'x10' for now. But within a year I will be replacing the above truck with newer F-250, maybe a diesel. And pulling a dump trailer. But, that's in the future. Your advise will be welcomed.

Old 01-01-2006, 10:17 AM
Questions...questions......let's see.....

"...1986 F150 longbed with 5.0 motor, auto, but it has over 190K."
That's a pretty tired motor and trans using it for exclusive towing. I would think about replacing the engine and trans before trying to tow much or it might strand you.

"...First, I need to know how much can they vehicle can tow?"
A class 3 hitch will limit tongue weight to 500#'s meaning the trailer could be 5000# if loaded correctly. I don't recommend a class 4 or 5 in the 1986 year because the rear spring are pretty soft. Those were years where the big manufacturer's were a little light in the payload capacity.

"...Second, what kind of hitch should I purchase?"
Any quality hitch should do, I personally like one piece units from Draw-tite. I try and stay away from universal fit kits like Putnum. That also means that the hitch will probably not work on another truck.

"...I will be getting a trans flush if I purchase it. Fourth, Should a put a trans cooler on this truck? That depends on how much weight I will be towing."
Changing the trans fluid if the previous owner never did is probably the fastest way to junk the trans. Don't get me wrong, never changing the fluid is a bad idea, but some owners never change it and once changed they will slip and some don't ever move again. I won't flush a trans in my shop if the vehicle has over 70k miles and it has never been changed. I have been burned having to buy a new trans before. Trans coolers are always a good idea, but if the truck had a tow package, it might already have a small auxillery cooler. It could do with a larger one if you plan to tow exclusively.

That 5x10 trailer is a good size for a 1/2 ton as long as you load it correctly and don't try hauling rock or concrete. A little 5x5 with rock is 4000#'s, so I'm guessing the 5x10 would be closer to 12k#'s. I'm also guessing that the 5x10 is a single axle and the trailer tires would blow with that load.

Anyway....I hope this helps..............

Old 01-01-2006, 12:01 PM
Thanks for your response.

Quick Reply: Newbie to the forum.....