Towing & Hauling

Towing Help for a Newbie? 1999 Ext Cab V6

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 06:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Braking! Wghile I admittedly do not tow more than 3300 lbs, accelerating with mine wasn't a big problem (I have a 5.4) but braking did need to be planned out further in advance. That was the biggest thing that I have learned...

Tim C.

Old 03-13-2007, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by referee54
Braking! Wghile I admittedly do not tow more than 3300 lbs, accelerating with mine wasn't a big problem (I have a 5.4) but braking did need to be planned out further in advance. That was the biggest thing that I have learned...

Tim C.
Did you have brakes on the trailer?

With my new Carson car hauler's 10" brakes, I can make the thing stop faster than it does without the trailer if I set things right and it's dry (wet is a different story).

Old 03-13-2007, 09:58 PM
I use two different trailers at times. The 14-foot trailer has no brakes. The 18 foot does. Either way, it still took some forethought to stopping distance.

Tim C.

Old 03-22-2007, 11:41 PM
Hi I tow a 16' Bayliner with my f-150 with no problems at all, a LS diff would be a plus when pulling out of a slippery ramp though. A picture of my rig is in my gallery.

Old 10-07-2007, 07:59 PM
Boat Search - UPDATE

Originally Posted by BEdmondson
STEVE,

The problem with towing a 17ft - 18ft Bass boat with your F150 is that you are NOT going to be able to tell if the boat falls off the trailer Your F150 isn't even going to know it's back there.

I had a similar experience towing my sister's 26' Airstream (VERY light) across Texas with her Ford Expedition. The Expedition is a respectable tow vehicle, especially my sister's 2WD, but the F150 is MUCH better (IMHO) because of the longer wheelbase. But, that Expedition didn't even know that Airstream was back there!

It only gets hairy when you get into heavier trailers. Bass Boats are nothing. My kid brother (who is crazy) was towing his Bass Boat with a Geo Tracker! He said it towed just fine... I can't verify that, because I wouldn't ride with him.

There are cars that will tow that Bass Boat.

MARK,

When it comes time to tow that camper with your V6, just make sure the camper isn't heavier than your vehicle's towing ratings. The Ford guidelines are a great reference. And, under the right circumstances/setup, you can even push that a little bit, but you have to know what your'e doing. But, don't get me wrong; it's always best to have a vehicle that can handle a much heavier trailer than what you are towing... I LIKE it when my truck "doesn't know" there's a trailer back there.

Towing a trailer 120 miles once a year is nothing... Make sure that your engine and transmission are running cool, and you won't hurt the vehicle. You might not get there very fast with the V6, but you'll be fine.... go slow - don't push the vehicle real hard. Find the engine RPM that the V6 likes best and stay there... Note: this is somewhere to the left of "redline" on your tachometer

One of my other war-stories is a friend of mine who would tow his 22 ft. runabout (~4,000 lbs.) to his lake once a year with his AWD Toyota Previa! AMAZING! He did this for YEARS. But again, I never rode with him

Brian
I thought I'd update you guys on my quest. I was looking for a 17-18ft boat. Well...I got a great deal on a 21ft Skeeter, tandem wheels, and I have been pulling it around Texas for a couple of months. The gas mileage SUCKS(about 10), but I expected that. I did have a transmission cooler installed when they installed the hitch. The only time I have trouble is on a steep wet ramp. I have to keep rotating the tires after a couple burn outs on the ramp!

Steve

Old 10-18-2007, 09:25 PM
axle ratio?

Steve, what gear ratio are you running in the rear axle? I noticed a big improvement in towing mileage after switching to 4.30 gears.

Old 10-20-2007, 05:51 AM
Originally Posted by Scott D
Steve, what gear ratio are you running in the rear axle? I noticed a big improvement in towing mileage after switching to 4.30 gears.
Scott, I have no idea. Where would i find that information?

Old 10-20-2007, 09:24 AM
glc
Received 774 Likes on 715 Posts
Axle code on the door jamb sticker. Check threads in the other powertrain forum to decode it. Mine is H9 which is 3.55 limited slip.

Old 10-20-2007, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by referee54

Tim C.
Braking! I can tell you all about braking while towing...

Old 10-26-2014, 07:27 PM
looking at post and do not see the sticky note. I am looking at doing the same, but need to learn how to calculate out trailor loads.

Old 10-26-2014, 07:48 PM
glc
Received 774 Likes on 715 Posts

Quick Reply: Towing Help for a Newbie? 1999 Ext Cab V6