Towing & Hauling

Towing Help for a Newbie? 1999 Ext Cab V6

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 04:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing Help for a Newbie? 1999 Ext Cab V6

I've not only never towed before... I'm also NOT what you might call "truck-smart"

That being said, I love my 1999 F150 XLT Extended Cab. I got the V6 thinking I'd get better gas mileage (not enough to make a difference, as it turns out), and thinking I'd never tow anything.

Now, I'm looking at buying a camper trailer to take to the lake. Chances are, it would be to haul it to an RV site, leave it, and rarely haul it again. Maybe a couple hauls a year of about 120 miles at a time, and it's in Texas where we have no hills, so there would be no tough spots to climb.

My problem is that I cannot for the life of me figure out the towing capacity. I assume it does NOT have any additional tow package. If that is the case, how many lbs can I safely tow? I saw one site that said 2000 lbs Standard to either 6000 or 8000 Maximum, but I don't understand that. Does that mean with the right additional equipment I can tow 6-8K, or that with NO towing package I can tow up to 6 or 8K max, but for a limited time? I found a trailer that weighs 4500 lbs, but have no idea if I can safely pull that or not?

Help??!!
Mark

Old 07-19-2006, 06:25 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Look at the top of this forum for the sticky note regarding the 'trailer weight chart'.

Depending on what transmission you have and rear end gears you should be able to find what the 'tow rating' is.

It's somewhere between #2100-#5600 depending on drivetrain config.

Give us your trans type, if you have 4x4 or not and rear end gear ratio and we can tell you what you can 'really' tow....

There are still pages and pages of more stuff you'll need to know and get and prepare for, so lets just start off with this and see where it goes!

Mitch

Old 07-19-2006, 09:13 PM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with Mitch. Give the trany (auot ot stick), rear gear ratio, 2wd or 4wd and we'll give you a better estimate. You can find the axle code on the driver's door sticker that we can look up if you don't know what you have.

Old 07-19-2006, 11:33 PM
Thanks guys! It is a 2WD Automatic. I'm not sure where to locate the rear gear ratio?

For the Axel Code, looks like "19".

If that's not enough, it looks to be "R 9", "AXEL 19", "TR U", "SPR PF", and the letters "UTC" underneath all that.

Originally Posted by APT
I agree with Mitch. Give the trany (auot ot stick), rear gear ratio, 2wd or 4wd and we'll give you a better estimate. You can find the axle code on the driver's door sticker that we can look up if you don't know what you have.

Old 07-20-2006, 10:29 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool... Axel 19 equates to a 3.55 non limited slip rear end. Combined with the rest of your specs, that puts you at the highest 'tow rating' for your drivetran combo or #5600.

Now, that does not mean you can go out and get a #5600 trailer and be happy!

That figure is based off of your trucks 'curb weight' and that's a stripped down version of your truck with only a driver on board. So, for every pound your truck is over it's 'curb weight', you will have to subtract a pound from that 'tow rating'...

Since you have the XLT package, that means you have a bunch of options that weigh more, so lets say you are now down to around #5400. Add any passengers, stuff in the bed, etc... Now you are down to around #5000.

I tow a #5000 travel trailer and it's maxed my trucks GVWR out. I've got a lot more 'stuff', as I'm a 4x4 with a 5.4 V8.

I know I've got a #5000 TT behind me, let me tell you! With a V6, you would want to stay somewhere around #4000 to have any performance left over and not be over any of your other trucks weight limits. That would be GVWR and GAWR. You might get away with #5000, which will max you out IMO and you'll be asking a lot out of that V6. Even for short hauls and not too many of them, that 2-3 hours of hauling will take it's toll, even just once!

Now, don't start looking for trailers that have "dry" weights in this range! Most trailers will be around #1000 heavier then the "dry" weight by the time you get your stuff in it. My trailers "dry" weight was #3800, but it weighs #5000 now!

Get some trailer specs next like make and models you are interested in and we can proceed. Remember to look for trailers that have GVWR of between #4000-#5000 max and see what you think!

Mitch

Old 08-03-2006, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by MitchF150

Get some trailer specs next like make and models you are interested in and we can proceed. Remember to look for trailers that have GVWR of between #4000-#5000 max and see what you think!

Mitch
Well, I intended to start trailer shopping this week, but came home to a broken AC unit. After replacing that, my trailer fund is down to less than $0

Hopefully I can start saving again and eventually get back on here with specifics on trailers I'm looking at.

Thanks so much for the time and help thus far - I already know way more than I did before!

Mark

Old 03-02-2007, 11:32 PM
Towing Calculations for Boat

Greetings!

I have a 2001 Supercrew, 4.6L, 4sp O/D with a type 19 axle. From reading above I gather I have the 3.55 rear axle ratio?
On the vehicle description sheet, it says: 6350# GVWH Package.
The trailer towing chart in my manual claims for 4.6L with 3.55 rear axle ratio = 6900# or 6600# trailer weight. Which is it?

I am currently boat shopping but want to be sure I stay within the ability of my truck. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Steve

Trending Topics

Old 03-03-2007, 01:44 AM
Towing - Temperatures

All the specs/ratings you have to sift through for towing can be kind of confusing, but you should take the time to understand them. The factory specs are a very valuable baseline. The information posted above by Mitch is excellent.

I think one big issue with the V6 is that you just might not be happy with the power. See if you can take a camper trailer out for a "test-tow." Even slight hills can slow you way down if you don't have enough power. Then again, how often you tow, how far you tow, and how patient you are are other factors. And, the more hours you tow and the greater distance, the more stress on your equipment.

Regarding stress on your equipment, a really important factor is temperature. I always install a transmission temperature gauge and a monster transmission cooler. The factory "tow packages" are much better than they use to be, but a larger cooler might be a good addition. That's why you want a high-quality temp gauge. I have also upgraded my radiator (sometimes substantially) when I have been pushing a vehicle beyond or close to its maximum ratings. If you keep your engine and transmission cool, they will last a long time. When I sold my last tow vehicle, it ran like NEW, even though it had 225k on it... the trans never ran over 180 degrees; and it was still solid. Some people say 200 degrees is okay... I like 180 better. I have never blown a transmission towing.

Finally, a rational driver with an under-rated vehicle will be safer on the road than some hotdog in a monster truck towing a 28 ft. boat at 80 MPH. There is a huge common sense component to towing, but training and knowledge are also of extreme value. If you're going to be towing a boat for the first time, spend some afternoons at boat launches... bring some beverages... the performers will supply the entertainment. Then, just do a bunch of reading. There is a lot of good information out there. One magazine I like is "Trailer Boats." There are others that deal with towing and are even better.

Good luck! And, just be careful!

Old 03-03-2007, 12:02 PM
Rocket Science Towing

Thank you BEdmondson. Maybe I should have started a new thread but it seemed comparable.

It's my desire to purchase a 17-18' fiberglass bass boat. First I want to make sure my F150 Supercrew can handle the load. The vehicle description sheet does not mention a towing package. It's confusing to know what the towing specification is.
My truck is a 4.6L V8 with a 6350# GVWR package.
"type 19" axle - which translates to a 3.55 rear axle ratio? That's the best available for this engine type.

variable definitions:
RAR = rear axle ratio
GCWR = Gross combined weight rating (truck + trailer)
MTW = max trailer weight
GVWR = Gross vehicle weight rating
constants:
4.6L V8
6350# GVWR package - I think that means I can load the truck (only) to a total weight of 6350lbs. This doesn't seem helpful for determining what size of boat that I can pull.

4.6L(V8)+3.55RAR=11500lbs GCWR which allows either 6900lbs or 6600lbs MTW. It's listed as 6900/6600 in the manual. Which one is it? 6900 or 6600?

Maybe I'm making this more difficult than it really is?

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Last edited by reddrooster; 03-03-2007 at 04:45 PM.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:46 PM
Once you get everything figured out (weight-wise) and make the purchase, I would seriously advise you to take some practice runs with the trailer. See how the truck feels, take it to a large parking lot and practice backing up and turning. Drive down some side streets or side roads and gradually get a feel for how everything handles at certain speeds.

I have never towed a house trailer with mine, but I have towed a great deal of firewood and power tools. I think that a few runs in a variety of conditions---and learning how to adjust the mirrors etc.---would be very beneficial.

Tim C.

Old 03-03-2007, 10:26 PM
Test Runs

Thank you, I do plan on many test drives and runs!
Steve
Originally Posted by referee54
Once you get everything figured out (weight-wise) and make the purchase, I would seriously advise you to take some practice runs with the trailer. See how the truck feels, take it to a large parking lot and practice backing up and turning. Drive down some side streets or side roads and gradually get a feel for how everything handles at certain speeds.

I have never towed a house trailer with mine, but I have towed a great deal of firewood and power tools. I think that a few runs in a variety of conditions---and learning how to adjust the mirrors etc.---would be very beneficial.

Tim C.

Old 03-03-2007, 10:45 PM
Originally Posted by reddrooster
Thank you BEdmondson. Maybe I should have started a new thread but it seemed comparable.

It's my desire to purchase a 17-18' fiberglass bass boat. First I want to make sure my F150 Supercrew can handle the load. The vehicle description sheet does not mention a towing package. It's confusing to know what the towing specification is.
My truck is a 4.6L V8 with a 6350# GVWR package.
"type 19" axle - which translates to a 3.55 rear axle ratio? That's the best available for this engine type.

variable definitions:
RAR = rear axle ratio
GCWR = Gross combined weight rating (truck + trailer)
MTW = max trailer weight
GVWR = Gross vehicle weight rating
constants:
4.6L V8
6350# GVWR package - I think that means I can load the truck (only) to a total weight of 6350lbs. This doesn't seem helpful for determining what size of boat that I can pull.

4.6L(V8)+3.55RAR=11500lbs GCWR which allows either 6900lbs or 6600lbs MTW. It's listed as 6900/6600 in the manual. Which one is it? 6900 or 6600?

Maybe I'm making this more difficult than it really is?

Thanks in advance,
Steve
Just stay under 5k and you'll be fine. I had a 2002 F150 w/a 4.6 3.55ls 4x4 supercab w/17inch wheels. I towed my 21 ft cuddy cabin boat (Regal 2150) with no problem at all. The boat weighed 3400lbs dry It held 45 gals. of fuel plus the tandem trailer and gear, It had to be right around 5K lbs. I have a family of 4 and I never had any problems. When I tried to tow my new boat I realized it wasn't up to the challenge. It's only about 1500lbs more but the 4.6 struggled to climb hills. On flat roads it was fine but those hills was to much for it. So I bought a new truck with the 5.4 and it handles it fine. If all your looking at it a 17-18ft bass boat You shouldn't have anything to worry about. That should be a lot lighter than what my load was.

Old 03-04-2007, 01:38 PM
I think that the most I have towed is 2700-3300 lbs---trailer and firewood. These guys here freally do know more about it than anyone else---they have great advice. Best of luck to you.

Tim C.

Old 03-10-2007, 01:16 PM
Towing 17-18ft Bass Boat (STEVE) and New to Towing (MARK)

STEVE,

The problem with towing a 17ft - 18ft Bass boat with your F150 is that you are NOT going to be able to tell if the boat falls off the trailer Your F150 isn't even going to know it's back there.

I had a similar experience towing my sister's 26' Airstream (VERY light) across Texas with her Ford Expedition. The Expedition is a respectable tow vehicle, especially my sister's 2WD, but the F150 is MUCH better (IMHO) because of the longer wheelbase. But, that Expedition didn't even know that Airstream was back there!

It only gets hairy when you get into heavier trailers. Bass Boats are nothing. My kid brother (who is crazy) was towing his Bass Boat with a Geo Tracker! He said it towed just fine... I can't verify that, because I wouldn't ride with him.

There are cars that will tow that Bass Boat.

MARK,

When it comes time to tow that camper with your V6, just make sure the camper isn't heavier than your vehicle's towing ratings. The Ford guidelines are a great reference. And, under the right circumstances/setup, you can even push that a little bit, but you have to know what your'e doing. But, don't get me wrong; it's always best to have a vehicle that can handle a much heavier trailer than what you are towing... I LIKE it when my truck "doesn't know" there's a trailer back there.

Towing a trailer 120 miles once a year is nothing... Make sure that your engine and transmission are running cool, and you won't hurt the vehicle. You might not get there very fast with the V6, but you'll be fine.... go slow - don't push the vehicle real hard. Find the engine RPM that the V6 likes best and stay there... Note: this is somewhere to the left of "redline" on your tachometer

One of my other war-stories is a friend of mine who would tow his 22 ft. runabout (~4,000 lbs.) to his lake once a year with his AWD Toyota Previa! AMAZING! He did this for YEARS. But again, I never rode with him

Brian

Last edited by BEdmondson; 03-10-2007 at 01:26 PM.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Stay within the limits of your truck and you should have no problem and take it easy the first time you do any towing until you get the feel of everything.

Quick Reply: Towing Help for a Newbie? 1999 Ext Cab V6