Towing & Hauling

Whats the best WD Hitch & anti sway?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 10:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats the best WD Hitch & anti sway?

I have 2005 F-150 4 X 4, HD tow Package, 4-10 Rear end, 5.4 Triton, 9300# towing. Just purchased a 29' TT-GVWR 7,910, Dry wt 6240, Hitch wt 910.

I know I need to install wd hitch and am sure anti sway would be smart as well. I would like some objective thoughts as to what is the best way to go.

I have looked into "Equa-l-izer", Reese, draw-tite, etc. The equal-i-zer looks like the best solution to me. But what do I know. I will appreciate your replies.

I would also like some info as to best place to buy.

Old 12-01-2006, 03:13 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Any of those should work fine for you. I'd personally stay away from those bolt on 'friction' style of sway control for the size trailer you have. They work fine for smaller rigs, but become pretty ineffective the bigger and heavier the trailer is.

I've used the "Equa-l-izer" before and it works great and has been around for ever. The Reese "Dual Cam" is a newer design for sway control and while I've never towed with one, I've heard lots of good things about them.

If money is no object, then there is also the Hensley or the Pull Right. The Hensley uses your standard truck hitch, and it's design is all in the head and how it attaches to the trailer. It also costs some $3,000!

The Pull Right is a completely different truck hitch that swings from a piviot point closer to the rear axle and mimicks how a fifth wheel hitch works. These cost some $2,500...

Right now, all I'm using is a standard 'Eaz-Lift' WD hitch setup with no additional 'sway control' (friction or otherwise). My trailer is only 22' long, so it tows very well, even in emergency situations.....

If it was me, I'd go with the Dual Cam myself with your setup.

Good luck!

Mitch

Old 12-03-2006, 12:52 PM
All of the weight distributer + sway bar hitches that you are looking at will do a good job for you.

I think you will be disappointed with your truck's performance towing that trailer, however. You will do fine on the flat land but if that engine even sees a steep grade up ahead it will start screaming. It will work for you but I don't think you'll be happy.

Old 12-04-2006, 04:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mitch offered some very sound advise. Definately stay away from friction-type of sway control. I've used both the Reese Dual Cam type, and now I use the Equa-l-izer. Both work very well. I switch to the Equa-l-izer because I was having some fitment issues with the reese on my new trailer.

Old 12-04-2006, 07:01 PM
To BAmorris

Originally Posted by bamorris2
Mitch offered some very sound advise. Definately stay away from friction-type of sway control. I've used both the Reese Dual Cam type, and now I use the Equa-l-izer. Both work very well. I switch to the Equa-l-izer because I was having some fitment issues with the reese on my new trailer.
I looked up the specs on your trailer. It weighs almost exactly the same as mine and only a 2' longer. What kind of milage do you get? Also, I'm leaning toward the Equa-l-izer but thought it was a friction type sway control. You are th first to suggest that it's a cam type. If that's true it will make my decision in favor of it that much easier. Does it handle as good with the equal-i-zer as the manufacture states. Thanks

Old 12-04-2006, 09:44 PM
Do yourself a favor and get the Equal-i-zer. The Reese DC make a racket while turning. The Equalizer makes noise but it is just a creaking. The DC pops and bangs. The Equal-i-zer also does a better job. I tow a Trail Bay 31BH with my truck. It weighs more than your trailer does, 6800 dry. About 8400 loaded ready to go. I currently have an EZ lift and it will be getting changed out in the spring to an Equal-i-zer. A friend of mine has one and it is great. No sway at all and easy to hook up. I have had experience with the DC, there was a couple pulling into a CG in Myrtle beach. While backing, the bar that ride on the cam popped off! IT hit the ground and he got out. He said that it has happened more than once and he was fed up with the DC. He had to drop his jack, crank up the trailer, hook up the bar again and put the jack back up before he could get into the site! This pretty much made up my mind right there.

Old 12-05-2006, 12:00 AM
It Depends

A lot depends on how you will use the new trailer and where you will use it.
If you are going on many long trips where you will will be mixing it up with the 18 wheelers on the interstate, a premium hitch (Hensley, or PullRite) is going to save a lot of white knuckles. If you are going to tow in areas that are windy the same is true. If your rig has been passed by an 18 wheeler on the up wind side with a 25 mph side wind, you know what I'm saying. If you are towing short trips, not wanting to pull 75 mph, you may very well be satisfied with a Equi-lizer, Reese Dual Cam or even one of the trunnion hitches such as EZ-Lift. (Check J C Whitney or eBay) Although the consensus of this thread seems to be against the friction sway control, a big percentage of bumper pull RVs over 20 ft at any campground will have friction sway controls on WD hitches. Trailers over 26 ft will ocasionally have two. At $30 - $35 they are not that expensive and they DO help dampen sway. A definate drawback is that under poor traction conditions they must be loosened or removed. (Poor traction usually means park it any way) A 1/2 ton pulling a 29 ft travel trailer is going to need attention to a lot of details. However, it can be done and done safely.

Old 12-05-2006, 12:24 AM
TT's are only rated to 65 MPH tops. The frame components and tires will limit this. We usually travel at 63-65 MPH. Any speed higher than that is not advisable. It takes too long to stop all that weight in case of an emergency and at 70-75 MPH things can go bad wrong really fast. The Equal-i-zer on my buddies trailer does a great job. No sway at all even with cross winds. The EZ lift that I currently have does sway a bit but not much. Yes the Hensley Arrow or the Pull-Right are better hitches but at a substancial cost difference also. I got hit with a 40+MPH cross wind coming back from the beach and it put the right side trailer wheels off the road. It immediately came right back behind the truck. If I had the Equalizer I probably wouldn't have had even that much happen. My buddy went through the same area with the same conditions and had zero problems. He is also pulling with the older body style F-150. He tows a Jayco 29BHS. Tractor trailer trucks don't bother me at all. I get a slight push when they come up on my left and thats about it. No sway at all. My buddy doesn't even feel that much with his Equalizer.

Old 12-19-2006, 08:40 AM
We have an Equalizer for towing our Rockwood Roo 23SS and love it. It is simple and effective when set up correctly and is being used by a gazillion people out there. My father-in-law is pulling a 32' Crossroads travel trailer that is well over 10,000 lbs. with his F250 and uses a Hensley. It would have been overkill for our trailer but it makes his life much easier on the long trips they take with the big trailer.

Old 12-19-2006, 10:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Yugidog
I looked up the specs on your trailer. It weighs almost exactly the same as mine and only a 2' longer. What kind of milage do you get? Also, I'm leaning toward the Equa-l-izer but thought it was a friction type sway control. You are th first to suggest that it's a cam type. If that's true it will make my decision in favor of it that much easier. Does it handle as good with the equal-i-zer as the manufacture states. Thanks

Sorry for taking so long to respond... Anyway, mileage is pretty poor, 8-9mpg... As far as the Equa-l-izer, it is NOT a cam-type of device. It is a friction device, but is much more effective than the standard friction bars that alot of people have. The Equa-l-izer is a 4-point friction system. And I agree with the other poster that the DC setup is quite noisey. Overall, I'm happier with the Equa-l-izer.

Old 12-19-2006, 11:33 PM
I tow a 28' TT loaded up nearing 7000 lbs. I use the reese dual cam set up and it works really well for me - very stable. I've used sway bars before and even with smaller trailers they pretty much suck when compared to the dual cam. For a trailer that size I would definately recommend the dual cam or the Equilizer would probably work well also although I've never used one. As far as noise go I don't have the issues the others talk about. The first time I used it I did have some popping and creeking then I just added a small amount of vaseline to the cam (which they say is OK in the manual) and no more noise. Now even if the vaseline has worn away I don't have any noise.

Old 01-08-2007, 01:29 PM
How much are all you paying for the Equal-i-zer?

Old 01-08-2007, 03:54 PM
rv wholesaler 399

Old 01-08-2007, 11:19 PM
Reasonable Price: Equalizer or Reese Dual Cam. They work much better than standard friction type.

Hensley Arrow or Pull-Rite is the best there is. It is worth every penny if you start full timing it or pushing the limits of your tow vehicle. If you want to see something amazing ask Hensley to send you their Demo Tape. Tiny little car pulling a huge trailer through a high-speed handling course. However for most of us they are hard to justify. It can however save having to upgrade your tow vehicle when you are not satisfied with its current stability.

Old 01-09-2007, 12:24 AM
I am completely satisfied with the stability. The Equal-i-zer will make it better without a doubt. I do however somtimes wish that the F-150 had more oomph to it on some hills. I still am very impressed on how well it tows though. Keep in mind, I am way into the upper limits of this truck.(probably a bit over) The next truck will definately have a diesel!

Quick Reply: Whats the best WD Hitch & anti sway?