Towing & Hauling

Brake controller

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 03:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake controller

I just traded in a 1995 Grand Cherokee with 200,043 mi on it for a 2wd '07 SCrew 5.4 w/3.55 lsd.

I had a Uhaul 'whatever' brake controller on the Jeep and took it off before trading in(was about 3 yr old unit). I was planning on going up to uhaul and having them install in the new truck until I read some other threads on here where people were talking about the Prodigy Break Controller and how good it is.

I always thought all brake controllers were about the same but maybe they're not. I do a fair amount of recreational towing and now will be the time to chose a dif. BC if I am going to do so.

Can someone tell me why Prodigy or some other would be any better/different whatever than the one I had on the Jeep?

Also, is there a better place to go than Uhaul? Every time I get something done there I have to go back (I’m in Dallas)

Old 06-08-2007, 08:15 PM
You can put the prodigy in yourself, I did, it's pretty easy. You just plug it into the socket that is under your steering wheel (but not the OBD port it's a smaller jack).

Go to www.rvwholesalers.com they have it for $95.

It's got inertial sensors that can vary the brake signal they send to your electric brakes on the trailer.

It's super easy and works great.

Old 06-08-2007, 09:08 PM
I picked up the prodigy as recommended by many here.
I too had a cheap brake controller before and this one is much easier to adjust and works much better.
I got it on etrailer.com for $98 and paid like $15 for the ford cable.
Don’t pay anyone to install it for you. With the right cable you just plug it in under the steering wheel as mentioned to the gray plug and mount it and your done. 15 minutes tops.

Old 06-08-2007, 09:27 PM
New Prodigy P3

The new Tekonsha P3 is great! All the features of the Tekonsha Prodigy 2.6 plus a much better / easier display that is color adjustable to match your dash.

Old 06-08-2007, 11:07 PM
I installed the Prodigy by myself (for me, that is saying something!) It was easy, and it is much, much better than the POS I used to use.

Tim C.

Old 06-08-2007, 11:33 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Once the Prodigy has been adjusted for your trailer, you can't tell the trailer is back there. It works THAT good.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:24 AM
Thanks to all for the advice. I got on the Tekonsha website and read a lot about their product. It def. does a lot more than my current unit. I'll probably go ahead and get one of these. If it out brakes my current unit even once then it just paid for itself!

I like the fact that it changes boost levels based on conditions too. The unit I have now had to constantly be adjusted or quickly 'turned up' if a strong braking situation happened. Always sucked feeling under the steering wheel for the increase boost **** as I'm getting closer and closer to the bumper of the car in front of me.

Old 06-16-2007, 11:40 PM
I just got the Prodigy , could not have been easier to install and setup. I had some other "junk" before. Glad I went with this unit... RECOMMENDED

Old 06-19-2007, 10:27 AM
Prodigy installation by RV Shop

Just bought a 2007 F150 and asked my local daeler what he wanted to install the Prodigy. $140.00 for the unit and $100.00-$150.00 for 1-1.5 hrs labor.

I think I will try this myself.......just hate the idea of drilling holes in my week old truck!

Old 06-19-2007, 10:38 AM
I hear ya. Looking at the literature though it should take more like 10 minutes assuming you already have the factory tow package. There is a wiring loom you can buy for about $15. It goes from the Prodigy to a factory connector under the dash. I haven't done it yet but it looks pretty straightforward.

I got a set of factory shop manuals off ebay. When they come in I'll look and see exactly where the connector is. I'm sure someone else on here could illuminate us though.

Old 06-19-2007, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by 45Eclipse
Just bought a 2007 F150 and asked my local daeler what he wanted to install the Prodigy. $140.00 for the unit and $100.00-$150.00 for 1-1.5 hrs labor.

I think I will try this myself.......just hate the idea of drilling holes in my week old truck!
Two small holes for two screws and just plug it in. The dealer is crazy... if you purchased your truck from them they should do it for free. It would be like charging to install floor mats.

Old 06-19-2007, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by robertmII
I hear ya. Looking at the literature though it should take more like 10 minutes assuming you already have the factory tow package. There is a wiring loom you can buy for about $15. It goes from the Prodigy to a factory connector under the dash. I haven't done it yet but it looks pretty straightforward.

I got a set of factory shop manuals off ebay. When they come in I'll look and see exactly where the connector is. I'm sure someone else on here could illuminate us though.
Connector is next to the OBDII port under the dash on the driver side. Almost directly under the steering wheel.

http://www.brakecontroller.com/
They had the best price when when I purchased mine when you consider free 2nd day air shipping, free direct wire loom and the $20 rebate.

Last edited by Ken07Harley; 06-29-2007 at 05:20 AM.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:43 PM
Originally Posted by 45Eclipse
OMG!!!

That is because there is no labor guide for trailer repair and services.

We charge 1/2 hour ($37.50) for a brake controller install.
We charge 1 hour ($75) for a vehicle that needs to be wired from scratch that wasn't designed for a brake controller, including running fused brake and charge lines to the rear....plus materials....usually $10-20

It sounds like your RV dealer charging $100/hr is taking advantage of people as well as over-charging them for time on top of that!

Old 06-26-2007, 09:37 PM
I just bought a travel trailer and the dealer installed a Envoy brake controller, I had them install it in the useless cubby hole under the ashtray/drink holder...it is a step down (or two or three or more) from the Prodigy, I am thinking of ordering the Prodigy because I really don't like the idea of trying to level this damn thing myself (new to this). I really wish I would have convinced the RV dealer to install the Prodigy since I have read a lot of good things about it...I probably could have gotten it for the same price...they also installed a massive hitch with weight distro and sway control ( all for a price of course!) basically all this rambling is my way of asking if it would be worth it to get the Prodigy over the Envoy ( same company) the Envoy need to be leveled and set up with a series of runs at approx 25 MPH...

Old 06-26-2007, 10:37 PM
Originally Posted by Ken07Harley
Connector is next to the ODBII port under the dash on the driver side. Almost directly under the steering wheel.

http://www.brakecontroller.com/
They had the best price when when I purchased mine when you consider free 2nd day air shipping, free direct wire loom and the $20 rebate.
What the hell is a ODBII port?
I'm hooking mine up this weekend......Took a quick look but nothing looked like the obvious connection.

Quick Reply: Brake controller