Towing & Hauling

Finally got a trailer...

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 12:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally got a trailer...

So I shopped around for a while and weighed my options. I looked at used, new, beat up, home-made, and everything in between.

I ended up with a 5x8 open landscape trailer with the 2,000 pound axle. Yeah, it's a bit small, and the F150 makes it look pretty small lol...but it does what I need it to do.

Anyway, I'm thinking of adding some either plywood or plastic boards to the sides (it currently just has railings with about a foot of open space between the trailer floor and the rail). I'm gonna add it to the front also, then get a nice piece of plastic or wood for the rear drop down gate...I haven't decided if I want to paint them yet black or leave them as is.

Anyone have some pics of their trailers with the sides added?

Old 06-28-2007, 12:57 AM
Oh yeah, I started with a 2" drop receiver, then I tried a 3" drop...then I swapped that out for the 5 1/4 drop, and that one was much better. I was surprised. In case anyone is buying a 5x8 and doesn't know what receiver to get. My truck is an 07 with FX4, towing option, and 18" wheels.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:47 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4x4 F-150's need a lot of drop for just about any trailer. I have an adjustable ball mount and have it set pretty low.

My dad had a 5x8 utility trailer that I used for a few years until I bought my own trailer. I have a 6.5x12' single axle landscape trailer now that I bought new and haven't added any sides. I would skip adding anything to the mesh ramp/gate. It only adds to the aerodynamic drag on the highway. I think planks of wood are better for sides with some gap between them so that you can still tie/strap/bungee things down. More places to anchor

Old 06-28-2007, 09:12 AM
Good call... I'm only hauling about 500 pounds of stuff now, but that could get heavier. Feels like I need a good bit more weight on there, so the wood will help. I hit a bump and think it went airborn a little bit.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:17 AM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
I looked a long time and then settled on a 6 by 14 double axel with the dropdown mesh ramp. Don't know what I did without it. My only complaint is it is too heavt\y and having double axels, hard to manuver around easily by hand.

Old 06-28-2007, 11:09 PM
Originally Posted by bluejay432000
I looked a long time and then settled on a 6 by 14 double axel with the dropdown mesh ramp. Don't know what I did without it. My only complaint is it is too heavt\y and having double axels, hard to manuver around easily by hand.
You're in texas...I'm in PA. I'll make you a deal. I'll drive to you, and you can have mine

Quick Reply: Finally got a trailer...