Towing & Hauling

Questions about Install

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 01:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions about Install

I just bought a Prodigy 2.6 brake controller along with the Ford specific harness. My truck does have the factory tow package. I will be towing a 8.5x16 enclosed with my Lotus Elise in it. Best I can figure I will come in under 5000 lbs, but it will be close. I'm going to weigh the trailer once I pick it up. Do I need to do anything else other than just plug in the brake controller? Currently the trailer does not have a brake away kit, but that will be coming soon. I will also use the trailer battery for powering a small electric winch for help loading the car.

Also looking for some photos of anyone who has installed a weight distributing hitch (preferably with sway control) on a v-nose trailer. I've heard that you can do it, but will probably have to weld to the trailer.

Old 07-14-2007, 09:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since nobady has touched this one...I'll give it a go

Originally Posted by Cross
I just bought a Prodigy 2.6 brake controller along with the Ford specific harness. My truck does have the factory tow package. I will be towing a 8.5x16 enclosed with my Lotus Elise in it. Best I can figure I will come in under 5000 lbs, but it will be close. I'm going to weigh the trailer once I pick it up. Do I need to do anything else other than just plug in the brake controller?
You might have to install a few fuses and relays.

Originally Posted by Cross
.... anyone who has installed a weight distributing hitch (preferably with sway control) on a v-nose trailer. I've heard that you can do it, but will probably have to weld to the trailer.
It is not different if you have a v-nose or not. The only real problem usually becomes if the trailer tongue is enclosed or covered...which creates a slight problem for mounting the WD and Sway bars. Aluminum frames sometimes create a slight problem in mounting usually solved by a different mount.

Quick Reply: Questions about Install