Towing & Hauling

Help me optimize my F150 Tow Vehicle !!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 04:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by APT
A degree in anything means little.

A 10k boat is not a 10k RV. Different weight distributions and different aerodynamics. Regardless, I'd like to see the weigh station slip proving you were under all Ford's specs on that one. So, what were the weights of your loaded RV from the scale?

I'm still wondering how you have OEM 20" wheels when every 2004 F-150 Lariat came with the same 18" wheel? I think Ford brought them out for 2006 models. So, you could still buy them from Ford or another owner, but it takes away from your credibility.
About the degree, all i was meaning was that I can add and understand mechanical limits and failures.

About assumptions - your apparently is that you know more than everyone else asking questions. that just might be the case many times but your presentation of it is quite lacking.

Since you (and apparently only you) are so concerned. Here is what i noted in my PDA from the scales. And where did i say the scale numbers were below the specs?
Truck-6575
Trailer-8620 (mildly accessorized due to weight limits - OH did I just say that. Yes we are aware of it)

The 20" wheel thing (how funny - man that really bugs you doesnt it) my neighbor has an 06 that he bought aftermarket wheels with "street" type tires. he traded me my 18" wheels/tires and $200 for his 20" wheels/tires. That way he has something more aggressive than the OEM and aftermarket stuff for the winter and his hunting trips into the woods.

Your right - big difference between a 10k# boat and my trailer.

Originally Posted by APT
Anyway, all of these ideas you originally posted are great. Each one will improve your towing experience and even everyday driving. I suggest a 4.56 gear swap instead of tuner/intake/exhast for better value. however, I don't recommend any of them, especially if you are planning to upgrade your truck in as little as 3 months. Anything aftermarket gets very little return on your investment. So, spend $2-4k on this truck today, you'll be lucky to get $500 more for your truck @ trade tomorrow. Sometimes a private sale will help with the right person, but not on average. Save that aftermarket money for the next tow vehicle, that I, admittedly, rudely suggested earlier.

When you get ready for the next TV, do more research on the V10 vs. PSD (assuming sticking with Ford). The 6.0l isn't getting nearly as good fuel economy as the old 7.3L and the issues the 6.0L has had has tainted resale value somewhat. The V10 does not get as poor fuel economy as some people think. Not great, but I've read about 14-15mpg highway unloaded. The ULSD is making it worse. I haven't heard much about the 6.4L real world fuel economy yet. The diesel vs. gas debate will go on forever. There are clear advantages for each and everyone has theire preferences. I don't know what is right for you, but using your own words, don't make assumptions. The deals right now on on the 2007 model since the 2008 models came in February of 2007, IIRC. Selection is dropping quickly.

Yes, I'm a bit cynical. I've been reading and commeting in this towing and hauling forum for years. Look at recent thread titles:

"2000 LBS of Tile in Bed of Truck? "
"Towing Overloaded?"
"whats the most you've pulled in your f-150?"

Everyone wants to push the limits of their vehicles because obviously it's cheaper than upgrading. i've done it. you've doen it, lots of people exceed Ford's limits. My personal opinion with my own experiences is that the F-150 can handle more than Ford's ratings. Occasionaly doing that for most people is fine. But purposly making a long term commitment (like buying a new RV) to regularily overload it is not wise.
These are some good recommendations. I can understand that there may be a lot of people constantly asking to push the limits. I know my comfort level and as I stated before, anticipate a TV change due to the limits i face. so to say that I purposely made a long term commitment purchassing my RV to tow over its limits is a stretch.

You have some good points and suggestions ones that people should take note of. Just be aware, your "audience" is not always stupid as you have implied. If money was a major concern maybe id talk to you more about some mechanical changes you listed and weight reduction ideas to make this work but like I said earlier, it may be temporary. your suggestion of not wasting it right now may be the best. Ill put it towards the 250.

Zaairman, good luck in your studies towards an ME degree. Its hard work but its worth it in the end.

Again, i hope i have not offended anyone. Im not much of a forum addict so i cant speak of the masses and how they act, lie, or are perceived credibility-wise. nor do i care. I was just looking for some ideas. didnt expect to be accused of all sorts of things in the process.

DT

Old 07-31-2007, 07:26 PM
dpthomasjr, Its just this has been posted about a 1000 times. If you really want to pull that much of a TT with your F150, then it is simple. More HP and better brakes. Don't really matter how you do it.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:44 PM
Originally Posted by APT
A degree in anything means little. My wife has a BSME, but that doesn't mean she knows what our truck limits are for towing. I've yet to see a BSME degree specializing in trailer towing. Who says I don't have a degree or what it is in. How does that affect you towing an RV that puts you over Ford's specs? How do you know any of my own experiences? This is the internet. Everyone lies. If you chose to to believe or ignore me, I really don't care.
Wasn't saying it as a *hey look at me* type of deal...

I've tried the F-150 thing and I'm done with it.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:34 PM
This is actually good that it came up. For all of you engineering gurus, I have a question. It is a valid question and it deserves a valid answer. I hope I can get a straight one. My buddy just bought an 07 FX4. THe 07's are rated to tow 11,000 # now! Ford has not changed ANYTHING! Same motor, same trans, same rear, same axles, same brakes. All they did was offer a nice set of extendable towing mirrors. Does this mean that if I purchase a $500 set of Shaefenacker tow mirrors from Ford that I can also tow 11,000#? I don't get it.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:46 PM
Absolutely, it has been proven, the bigger mirrors can increase your tow capacity!! I read it on the internet.....

Im not quite sure of the specs on the 2007. If there is indeed no changes, an explaination of why they changed would be nice. If that is the case, can you believe there is only 1500 lb tow difference between the F150 and an F250 Diesel? WOW. Maybe ill get an 07 F150. wait, their the same.....hmm.

Old 07-31-2007, 10:10 PM
Originally Posted by dpthomasjr
Absolutely, it has been proven, the bigger mirrors can increase your tow capacity!! I read it on the internet.....

Im not quite sure of the specs on the 2007. If there is indeed no changes, an explaination of why they changed would be nice. If that is the case, can you believe there is only 1500 lb tow difference between the F150 and an F250 Diesel? WOW. Maybe ill get an 07 F150. wait, their the same.....hmm.
I looked all over that 07 to find something different than my 04. I could find nothing. The weak link in our trucks is the transmission. The 5.4 makes great low end power but the trans needs another gear or 2. I am completely thrilled with the performance gains from my Edge Evo. It has a fantastic gauge pkg that helps tremendously when towing. The factory gauges are, IMHO, just glorified idiot lights. My coolant temp changed 25 deg. the gauge never flinched. Voltage changes constantly, the gauge doesn't. I don't trust any factory gauges. If Ford does offer a diesel option with a 5 or 6 speed trans I am all over it! A nice 350 HP diesel that gets about 20 MPG would be great. I get 19 on the highway with my 5.4. That is outstanding for a 6000# brick. I don't complain about gas one bit. If I wanted 30 MPG plus, I would have purchased a Honda.

Old 07-31-2007, 11:03 PM
glc
Received 774 Likes on 715 Posts
The reason I recommended the V10 (or a used 7.3 PSD), by the way, are the known issues with the PSD 6.0 and the 6.4 PSD is too new to have a decent track record yet - plus I seem to have read here that the first ones had a problem with exhaust fires. The gas V10 and the 7.3 PSD are proven workhorses. If I HAD to buy a brand new diesel pickup right NOW I'm afraid I'd have to go with a Dodge and deal with a crappy truck.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:44 AM
Your right about the newness of the 6.4. They say its going to be the best but so have all the others. time will tell.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:53 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by the4by4freek
My buddy just bought an 07 FX4. THe 07's are rated to tow 11,000 # now! Ford has not changed ANYTHING! Same motor, same trans, same rear, same axles, same brakes. All they did was offer a nice set of extendable towing mirrors.] Does this mean that if I purchase a $500 set of Shaefenacker tow mirrors from Ford that I can also tow 11,000#? I don't get it.
Not exactly. Not every 2007 F-150 can tow 11k pounds. All 2004-2007 F-150 Supercrew 5.4L 4x4 with 18 or 20" wheels are 8700 pounds. Take a look at the Ford Towing Specs. The only configuration that can tow 11k pounds is a 2wd regular cab 8' bed with the heavy duty payload package. Here's what it included for 2004. I don't have the exact specs for 2007 models, but should be similar:

HEAVY DUTY PAYLOAD PACKAGE (627)
Usage: Increases GVWR to 8200 lbs. for improved
payload and towing
Availability:
• Regular Cab Styleside 8.0’ box (145” WB) or
SuperCab 8.0’ box (163” WB)
• XL and XLT
• Requires 5.4L V8 Engine
• SuperCab 4x4 requires 35 gallon fuel tank (655)
Includes:
• LT245/70x17D BSW A/S (T74)
• High capacity 17” 7-lug steel wheels (64K)
• Heavy Duty shock absorbers, frame and 72 amp
battery
• Spring and auxiliary transmission oil cooler upgrades
• 10.25" gear set with 4.10 axle
• Standard 4.10 axle (Optional 4.10 Limited Slip – XB5)

• Optional Snow Plow Prep (4x4 only) – (63A)

The bolded items are very important mechanical difference between most F-150's and this package.

An important note. The 2004 F-150 with this package was rated to tow 9500 pounds. Ford has been changing the max trailer weight almost every year since, for marketing reasons as the Titan and Tundra have come to market. I don't know what changes have been done to that package since 2004.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:12 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dpthomasjr
Since you (and apparently only you) are so concerned. Here is what i noted in my PDA from the scales. And where did i say the scale numbers were below the specs?
Truck-6575
Trailer-8620 (mildly accessorized due to weight limits - OH did I just say that. Yes we are aware of it)
my limits are at or just below my capabilities
I assumed below Ford's ratings for your truck, not your personaly capabilities. That's over the GCRW Ford gave for your truck. It's more than I recommend for 1/2 ton pickup. Can I still know what cities to avoid while you are traveling?

The 20" wheel thing (how funny - man that really bugs you doesnt it) my neighbor has an 06 that he bought aftermarket wheels with "street" type tires. he traded me my 18" wheels/tires and $200 for his 20" wheels/tires. That way he has something more aggressive than the OEM and aftermarket stuff for the winter and his hunting trips into the woods.
Lots of people buy and sell the OEM 20's on this site or ask about them. It doesn't surpirse me that you swapped too, but that's not how you disclosed the info in the OP, thus questioning credibility.

Just be aware, your "audience" is not always stupid as you have implied.
Which is why I keep trying to earn the respect of the (few) that can/care to discuss, such as yourself. Most people would have left F-150online.com in offense after my first couple posts in this thread. You probably still think I'm an ***, but hopefully a reasonably knowledgable one.

Last edited by APT; 01-28-2009 at 12:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Help me optimize my F150 Tow Vehicle !!!