Towing & Hauling

Towing set-up question - Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 10:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing set-up question - Newbie

First off, I want to apologize if this has been covered in another thread. I have ran multiple searches but have not found anything addressing my specific question.

I own a 2004 F150 screw lariat (no factory tow package) and I am planning to pull two motorcycles. The total weight with trailer and bikes will probably run between 3,000 and 5,000 lbs (depending on choice of trailer). I would like to get my truck set-up for this load but have very little idea what all I will need. Based on what I've read it seems like I will need a receiver hitch along with the proper wiring and a transmission cooling system. Can someone help me with advice on what I will need, what the best options are where I can get them (I live in Massachusetts and willing to buy online)? At this time I was thinking about taking it to the Ford dealership and having them add what it is needed but wanted to get some advice before taking this step (knowing the dealership will charge me an arm and a leg).

Thanks in advance for your help!

Old 08-07-2007, 11:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It all depends on how good you are with tools. Installing a hitch and tranny cooler are not that hard and could easily be done in the driveway on a Saturday morning. If you are not comfortable turning wrenches, a cheaper route would be to check a local RV shop. They could install a comparable hitch and cooler for much less money.

The other thing that you might need to explore is trailer brakes. Some states require them once the trailer tops 3500lb. You could get by legally with surge brakes but the electric brakes are much safer. I know on the trucks with the factory tow package all that is required is to add an aftermarket brake controller and a relay. The pigtail and relay even come with the truck. I do not know how much of the wiring harness your truck will have. Look for a empty electrical connector under the dash near where the steering column goes into the dash. You will also need to add the 7 pin connector to the rear of the truck. Again, I am not sure how much of the wiring your truck will have. I will assume that there might be a empty connector near the bumper where the factory tow harness would connect.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:59 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Every 5.4L has a tranny cooler. The Tow package replaces it with a larger one.For under 5k, you should be fine with the smaller one.

If you are considering an enclosed trailer, get a V-nose for about 2mpg improvement over flat front on the highway. Make sure it has electric brakes and get a Prodigy brake controller.

I'd install the recevier myself as they come with bolts that bolt up to the frame in the OEM holes. Try Uhaul or an RV dealer/service.

You'll need the 7-pin wiring harness. I thought it was resonably priced from a Ford dealer, but I'm not certain.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:43 PM
Thank you!

Wookie and APT, thanks for your advice. Based on your thoughts, I will take a closer look at my truck to see what I am missing and what I will need.

I will tackle the receiver hitch myself but will need to spend some time to better understand the wiring harness and what will need to go into that before deciding if I do it myself or if I get help from someone that isn't going to screw it up as badly as I might.

Thanks again for your time and advice!

Old 08-09-2007, 07:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The wiring harness you get from Ford is basically plug and play. It has connectors that just plug into the connectors already on the truck. A few bolts in existing holes and the mounting bracket is on the truck. Although things have changed a bit I am sure, when did this on my previous 01, it took all of 10 mins.

Old 08-10-2007, 09:11 AM
Hitch and wiring are really easy, matching colors on the wiring couldn't get much easier!

On brakes, get electric. Anytime you are on interstate highways, you fall under federal DOT requirements - the tow vehicle MUST have control over the trailer brakes, surge brakes do not meet the standard. They let it go on boat trailers because electric brakes and water are not the best mix, but on other trailers you have the opportunity for a ticket (never known anyone not hauling commercially to get one, but...).

Quick Reply: Towing set-up question - Newbie