Towing & Hauling

Replacing the floor on my utility trailer

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 11:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing the floor on my utility trailer

Wondered if you guys had heard about using "used" oil as a preservative? I am gonna use treated wood and on my old 4x8 that I had before I used Thompson's Water Seal and it was slick when wet. Someone told me later I should have sprinkled some sand on it.

This is a 16 foot trailer so I will be walking it a lot. Big as I am it will hurt bad if I fall. I try not to do it at all. Last time I did it took me about 3 minutes to start breathing. Dog loved it though. Thought it was a new game.

Old 08-13-2007, 11:15 PM
used oil is about the same as the old creosote we used on a retaining wall. If you're looking for an inexpensive way out, this will work to preserve the wood, but won't be a non-slip surface. Best way is to have some fine sand handy and sprinkle it over a fresh coat of varnish or laquer. You can use it with the Thompsons water seal and it will do the same. If you have the money, they also make a non-slip coating paint, or you can put some stick on trads that will do the same. Many alternatives are available. The issue with the old oil is it won't dry, and you'll have the same issues as the water seal when it's wet.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:14 AM
To prevent board rot you do not want to seal both sides of the wood. It will need to breath as well as dry out. The least expensive way to seal a trailer deck is to use a gallon of oil based stain. Use a disposable paint roller and it will only take about 10 minutes to seal the deck. Cost $10-20. Do this once a year your deck will last 15-20 years. You can also cheap out and use non-treated wood with this oil based stain method....with a deck life about 10-15 years.

Last edited by Colorado Osprey; 08-14-2007 at 09:23 AM.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:56 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thompson's doesn't ever really dry like a varnish - it just soaks in, and then soaks OUT over time. Use a spar polyurethane w/sand, or an oil-base stain.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:42 PM
Ever think about using "composite" boards? A little pricey, but will eliminate the rot factor.

Old 08-17-2007, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by F151
Ever think about using "composite" boards? A little pricey, but will eliminate the rot factor.
Finally got back here. Been a busy week. I had not thought about the composite boards. I have seen pictures of home decks done with them though. Might be a bit overboard for a trailer though.

I put 8 PT 2x10's in the bed. There is about 1 3/4 inch left. I had got a 2x4 to rip to fill, but am gonna just let it set till the 2x10's shrink. It should all fit in then. Looks pretty good. While I had the deck out I rewired it also.

Quick Reply: Replacing the floor on my utility trailer