Towing & Hauling

Double Axle Enclosed Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 11:41 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Contributor
Received 260 Likes on 251 Posts
Double Axle Enclosed Trailer

I am in the market for a midsize double axle trailer... Not really looking for something out of this world... but I want something that will last.

I will be hauling my networking/telecommunication equipment in it... along with boxes of wire for the job (ethernet, phone, fiber, etc). I need something with a lot of space, as my cargo weight probably won't ever exceed 2k lbs ever. But it's gotta be double axle because it is way easier to manuever.

I've got a single axle trailer and a double axle dump trailer and the double axle is a breeze. But I need something enclosed.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:54 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why is a double axle easier to maneuver?

My FIL got his 7x14 enclosed cargo trailer through [url=http://www.cardinal-sales.com]. Their web site sucks, so call them. They'll deal with several manufacturers and can tell you what the best deals are. They are cheap if you can pick up @ a factory.

Old 08-15-2007, 12:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The least expensive place I've found in the country for trailers is Pro-line. They are up in VA. They have a pick up place in Indiana too though. See them here:

http://www.pro-lineperformance.com/

Old 08-16-2007, 09:04 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you plan to do a lot of highway driving, get the V-nose.

Single vs. double:

Single will weigh about 750 pounds lighter for the same size empty, but most use a spring axle vs. torsion axle that most doubles use.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:30 PM
Enclosed Trailer

Go and look at a Pace and a Wells Cargo. I have a 6' X 10' single axel Pace that I have pulled about 20,000 miles over the years. I used a 4.0 Liter Explorer to pull it for several years, then up graded to a 5.4 Liter Expedition, then to a 5.4 Liter FX4 Super Crew. The Explorer new it was back there, but the Expedition and F 150 never new it was there. One advantage of a tandem axel trailer by Pace or Wells Cargo, is that you don't have to carry a spare tire. If you have a flat, just take the flat tire off and drive slowly to the closest replacement. The Toroflex Axel is the way to go. If you look around, you might find a deal on a used one. I have had mine for about 10 years, and could probably make $300 or more on it if I decided to sell. With the 5 speed and 4.2 Liter V6, you should probably limit yourself to a 6 X 12 or 6 X 14.

Old 08-23-2007, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by Steve Corley
One advantage of a tandem axel trailer by Pace or Wells Cargo, is that you don't have to carry a spare tire. If you have a flat, just take the flat tire off and drive slowly to the closest replacement. The Toroflex Axel is the way to go.
If you are loaded, be extremely careful with this - you will be way overweight on the remaining tire! And the axle - I have seen Troflex axles with their guts torn up because someone did just this. Carry a spare on any trailer, it is considerably safer and convenient - you rarely have a flat 100 yards from a new tire.

Quick Reply: Double Axle Enclosed Trailer