Towing & Hauling

Opinions on Actual Weights

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 01:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinions on Actual Weights

I finally got a chance to run my truck and 8.5x16 enclosed trailer over the scales at a truck stop fully loaded. The loaded weight was with a load distribution hitch.

Empty Truck:
Front: 2,900 lbs
Rear: 2,240 lbs
Total: 5140 lbs

Empty Trailer
Tongue: 360 lbs
Axle: 2,980 lbs
Total: 3,340 lbs

Loaded Truck and Trailer
Front: 2,720 lbs
Rear: 3,080 lbs
Trailer: 5,120 lbs
Total: 10,920 lbs

The loaded arrangement works out to be a tongue weight of around 660 lbs with a total trailer weight of 5,780 lbs. Overall these seems to be about right. Any of you towing guru's see any issues with the numbers?

Old 08-16-2007, 01:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, at that weight you should have a WD hitch. The hitch is rated at 500/5000 for a non-WD hitch. You are over that by 25%, which is why loaded you took weight off the front.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by kingfish51
Yes, at that weight you should have a WD hitch. The hitch is rated at 500/5000 for a non-WD hitch. You are over that by 25%, which is why loaded you took weight off the front.
Those numbers were with a weight distribution hitch. Please read the first line again!

I am at the limit of the chains on the weight distribution hitch. Do I need to take the whole thing apart to increase the angle of the hitch and then try again? I really didn't think loosing 180 lbs on the front axle would be a big deal. For grins I also weighed it without the weight distribution hooked up.

WITHOUT WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION

Front Axle: 2,520 lbs
Rear Axle: 3,380 lbs
Trailer: 5,020 lbs

The weight distribution hitch transfered 200 lbs to the front axle, decreased the rear axle load by 300 lbs, and increased the trailer axle by 100 lbs.

Old 08-16-2007, 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by Cross
Those numbers were with a weight distribution hitch. Please read the first line again!

I am at the limit of the chains on the weight distribution hitch. Do I need to take the whole thing apart to increase the angle of the hitch and then try again? I really didn't think loosing 180 lbs on the front axle would be a big deal. For grins I also weighed it without the weight distribution hooked up.

WITHOUT WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION

Front Axle: 2,520 lbs
Rear Axle: 3,380 lbs
Trailer: 5,020 lbs

The weight distribution hitch transfered 200 lbs to the front axle, decreased the rear axle load by 300 lbs, and increased the trailer axle by 100 lbs.
Sorry, I missed that part. I would think with a WD hitch, it would add weight to the front as it is meant to distribute the weight to front and rear.

Old 08-16-2007, 03:25 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The idea of the WD setup is to transfer weight back to the front after you plop the tongue on the hitch. In his last case, when he weighed without the WD setup, you can see that his WD setup puts back a good share of weight that was lost after plopping the tongue on the hitch. Because it's a little lighter then empty should not be an issue IMO....

I think you are doing pretty good there Cross. Even though I have a TT, your weights are a little heavier then me, buy my trailer it a tad longer (22' total). I have my EAZ-Lift hitch head tilted as far down as it will go. This allows me to put a good amount of tension on bars, yet they are still parallel. I have it so that 6 links of chain are under tension. I have #1000 bars and with the additional load I have in the bed, this levels out my rig pretty good.

I've never taken any axle weights on my rig. Only an initial GCW when I first got the trailer and had it loaded up for a weekend camping trip. It did have a full tank of water too! I was at around #10300 on GCW. I'm probably a bit heavier now, as we have added more stuff to the trailer over time... I'm sure it's at it's #5000 GVWR for sure.

Mitch

Old 08-16-2007, 03:56 PM
I have mine at the 5-link minimum, but I had a dealer install the hitch so I don't know if it is maxed out on the angle or not. The installation directions strictly go by measuring height at the wheel wells and don't mention how this should affect axle weights. It does tow very well. I don't have sway control yet, but I have passed and been passed by 18 wheelers with no noticeable sway. A friend of mine who tows a 20' enclosed race trailer says I really should add sway control. I'll see how this trip to Colorado goes and decide then. It is going to be a long haul (1750 miles one way) from Charlotte, NC to Aspen, CO and back for the Lotus Owners Gathering. I added a tranny temp guage so I can keep and eye on things in the mountains.

Last edited by Cross; 08-16-2007 at 04:00 PM.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by MitchF150
The idea of the WD setup is to transfer weight back to the front after you plop the tongue on the hitch. In his last case, when he weighed without the WD setup, you can see that his WD setup puts back a good share of weight that was lost after plopping the tongue on the hitch. Because it's a little lighter then empty should not be an issue IMO....

I think you are doing pretty good there Cross. Even though I have a TT, your weights are a little heavier then me, buy my trailer it a tad longer (22' total). I have my EAZ-Lift hitch head tilted as far down as it will go. This allows me to put a good amount of tension on bars, yet they are still parallel. I have it so that 6 links of chain are under tension. I have #1000 bars and with the additional load I have in the bed, this levels out my rig pretty good.

I've never taken any axle weights on my rig. Only an initial GCW when I first got the trailer and had it loaded up for a weekend camping trip. It did have a full tank of water too! I was at around #10300 on GCW. I'm probably a bit heavier now, as we have added more stuff to the trailer over time... I'm sure it's at it's #5000 GVWR for sure.

Mitch
I would agree, except 250lbs is not a little weight when you consider that the short end of the lever is only +600lbs and the long end is -250lbs. There is only about 3-4 feet behind the fulcrum (rear axle), while there is 12-14 in front of it.

Quick Reply: Opinions on Actual Weights