Towing & Hauling

setup for towing

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 07:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
setup for towing

I just bought a 2005 F150 supercrew XLT 4x4 does not have the tow package, and I need to get it set up for towing my trailer. The weight of the trailer is around 5000lbs, plus I load up the bed with 600lbs of motorcycles. I am towing up Colorado mountain hills. The owners manual claims the truck is good for 6500lbs.

I need a receiver, what brand should I get?

I need trailer brake wiring, do I just need a relay kit from the dealer, and does that kit come with the 7 pin adapter?

I have a brake controller from my old truck that does not have an adapter on it.

Do I need a transmission cooler?

Is there anything else I am missing?

Thanks!

Old 08-19-2007, 09:32 AM
Originally Posted by pombie
I just bought a 2005 F150 supercrew XLT 4x4 does not have the tow package, and I need to get it set up for towing my trailer. The weight of the trailer is around 5000lbs, plus I load up the bed with 600lbs of motorcycles. I am towing up Colorado mountain hills. The owners manual claims the truck is good for 6500lbs.
Where in Colorado are you...I might be able to point you to the right locations for the stuff you need. For example Med-Ved in Castle Rock is far cheaper than any other dealer in the state for genuine Ford parts. As cheap or cheaper minus shipping that even the discount online places.

I need a receiver, what brand should I get?
I favor 1 piece hitches but Draw-Tire, Putnum etc., just about any will do.
I need trailer brake wiring, do I just need a relay kit from the dealer, and does that kit come with the 7 pin adapter?
You will need 2 relays and some fuses as well as a 7-way plug for the rear and a brake controller harness for in the cab. The in cab wiring harness for the brake controller from the factory will have the relays included but not the rear wiring 7 way harness. These items are also available through most trailer repair as well as truck supply stores and some auto parts places.
Do I need a transmission cooler?
You have a factory cooler in your radiator, but I recommend getting an auxillery cooler installed. Heat is what destroys transmissions...and they are not cheap to fix or replace.

Old 08-19-2007, 09:59 AM
Setup for towing

Originally Posted by Colorado Osprey
Where in Colorado are you...I might be able to point you to the right locations for the stuff you need. For example Med-Ved in Castle Rock is far cheaper than any other dealer in the state for genuine Ford parts. As cheap or cheaper minus shipping that even the discount online places.

I favor 1 piece hitches but Draw-Tire, Putnum etc., just about any will do.

You will need 2 relays and some fuses as well as a 7-way plug for the rear and a brake controller harness for in the cab. The in cab wiring harness for the brake controller from the factory will have the relays included but not the rear wiring 7 way harness. These items are also available through most trailer repair as well as truck supply stores and some auto parts places.

You have a factory cooler in your radiator, but I recommend getting an auxillery cooler installed. Heat is what destroys transmissions...and they are not cheap to fix or replace.
I am in Englewood, so the drive to Castle Rock is not bad at all. That is great to know. I called Burt yesterday about a simple question, they refused to answer it (they wanted me to bring it in so they could get the $50 diagnostic fee), so I will not give them my money.

What local aftermarket shops do you recommend? I will do the work myself.

I do not have the factory cooler. Do you recommend a particular brand? I was thinking I should get a temp guage for the tranny too.

Is there a recommended place for mounting the brake controller?

It looks like I need to go with a class IV receiver.

On my T-100, I needed to add air springs to level the truck when loaded. It looks like most people opt for the WD hitch when towing with the 150. I am hoping it will handle fine without the extra expense.

Thanks!

Old 08-19-2007, 10:16 AM
I am not a real fan of WD but I am a fan of air bags. I install quite a few of them.

Frontier Truck wil have decent prices and either has or can get you everything you'll need.

As far as a tranny cooler, I would go ask your local auto shop who they are using to get radiators from and go to them dirrectly for a trans cooler. They will give you the most options as far as what you can get and at the best prices....no middle man. I can give you names in the Colorado Springs area, butr those won't help you or pay for the drive.

If you get a large enough trans cooler there is no need for a trans temp guage.

In '04 and newer F150 I mount the brake controller on the dash half-way between the bottom edge and the column key switch so that you can see it between the spokes in your steering wheel as well as it is easy to reach. Is your old controller digital with a numeric display? If not I highly recommend upgrading it to this centuries technology. They are much easier to adjust for a trouble free braking than the old red light---green light deals. The new ones can even be mounted up-side down for lefties.

You will have a pretty good load considering you'll already have 600#'s in the bed...I'd again recommend air bags. They are easy to install.

Good luck witrh your hauling......

Old 08-19-2007, 10:24 AM
I have an old style controller which I was going to transfer to my new truck, but I will try out the digital type.

Thanks for the good advice!

Quick Reply: setup for towing