Towing & Hauling

Toy Hauler?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 04:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Toy Hauler?

Does anyone know of any ultra-light toy haulers out there?

So far, the toy hauler I'm most interested in is the Hobbi 220.

It has a dry weight of 4580 and Carrying Capacity 2685, so if fully loaded it would be 7265lbs. Now, I doubt I would ever travel with it fully loaded. At most, I would have gear, full tanks and a couple of dual sports - say 800lbs. of motorcycle.

Would my F150 handle this? What kind of mpg could I expect?

I have a 2007 Screw FX4, 3.73 gears, 20" rims - GCWR is 14,500.

Is there a better option in a toy hauler?

Also would consider a standard Travel Trailer, if I could find a super light one that would be easy on the gas mileage....

Thanks in advance!

Old 08-20-2007, 06:05 PM
Forgot to add that I have the factory towing package with tranny cooler.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:27 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My standard response to that toy haulers are designed for 3/4 ton trucks. Lots of people pull them with F-150's, but their designed with heavier frames to hold the weight of the toys. They also generally have heavier tounge weight so that adding toys to the rear evens it out.

That said, I would consider a hybrid TT with a deck for the toys. That keeps it light and keeps the toys away from the living space. Something like the Rockwood Roo 232 allows for 1 ATV in the trailer and one in the bed of your truck for example. Starcraft also has some hybrids with exterior storage for the toys. I like the 21SSD because it has a slide-out that makes it huge inside.

Old 08-21-2007, 03:15 PM
Thanks, APT, that's what I was expecting to hear. I had not seen these two hybrids... had only seen the popup's that had an external deck for toys. Either one of these would be perfect. Thanks!

Old 08-21-2007, 07:01 PM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Hobbi would work as well and probably keep you close to the limits of 1/2 ton territory. I looked at them last summer, but I didn't care for them. The true toy haulers like Hobbi, Warrior, etc are designed for mostly toy camping vs. what I prefer as more traditional RV ammenities with room for toys. Things like the larger fresh water tank, air compressor, fuel tank/pump, etc are nice for the true toy haulers that regular RV's do not have. I'd like to take the toys I have along, but not every trip. Some people only camp with their toys. Preferences.

I don't know where you live, but you should be able to find a nice discount on the Rockwood Roo @ RV Wholesalers.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:19 PM
If you're just carrying the two dual sports, have you thought of just getting a standard trailer and carrying the bikes? It's a little heavier on your truck, but lighter on your wallet as standard campers are generally cheaper/nicer.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:38 AM
Originally Posted by OperationOrange
Does anyone know of any ultra-light toy haulers out there?

So far, the toy hauler I'm most interested in is the Hobbi 220.

It has a dry weight of 4580 and Carrying Capacity 2685, so if fully loaded it would be 7265lbs. Now, I doubt I would ever travel with it fully loaded. At most, I would have gear, full tanks and a couple of dual sports - say 800lbs. of motorcycle.

Would my F150 handle this? What kind of mpg could I expect?

I have a 2007 Screw FX4, 3.73 gears, 20" rims - GCWR is 14,500.

Is there a better option in a toy hauler?

Also would consider a standard Travel Trailer, if I could find a super light one that would be easy on the gas mileage....

Thanks in advance!
I purchased a new toy hauler at the end of June, it is made by Cruiser RV and is called the Fun Finder Xtra, XT-200 model. Dry it weights a little over 4,200 but this little trailer pulls like a dream, very well balanced. What I liked about it was all of the standard things like fiberglass siding, and others that are options on others of the same length. Plus the price is very reasonable, not outrageous like many light weight toy haulers on the market. The skeleton of the trailer is made out of aluminum as to help in the weight dept. Here is a link to there web site http://www.cruiserrv.com/funfinderXtra/index.html

If you would like more info let me know and I can take pics or I can answer any questions. This weekend its off to the mountains!!!

PS Gas mileage for me was 9.5 on our last excursion. And that was maintaining a 70 MPH average speed. Some of the longer pulls I dropped down to 55 but they were very long and steep grades.

Last edited by ColoFX4; 08-23-2007 at 10:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Toy Hauler?