Towing & Hauling

Anothert Toy Hauler Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 05:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think why some of us (F-150 tow-ers) say it's not that bad is because unlike your description, with my 7k lb + payload, I have never ever felt "pushed around" by my trailer. Is the power nice?? No, but it does work. Would a big diesel be better?? Ummmm, ya think!! I don't care what you pull, nothing is going to compare to a 250/350 diesel, no matter how much they advertise these trailers being made for 1/2 tons, and I don't think anyone in their right mind would even attempt to argue that.

Everyone's experience is different and everything a compromise...unless you've just flat out got the cash and don't have to compromise. Me...compromise. I can't own my toyhauler, keep my toys and my current lifestyle, and upgrade to a big truck. A choice I have to make.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not flaming at all...I'm just saying I personally have learned that when most guys with 1/2 tons say "it really ain't that bad", they mean it. I have pulled other loads with other trucks and I can honestly say the only improvement from upgrading to a big truck would be the power. The handling department and everything else is A-OK. The big thing with a 1/2 ton is you truely do have to be realistic about what you're doing.

Old 10-28-2007, 11:32 PM
Great post

You have to chuckle when people give the old "just get the diesel" answer during these discussions. Like Galaxy said, I'm not flaming anyone who said that, but there are those of us (I have 19 month twin boys) who are only going to use our F-150's to tow 10 times per year and don't (or can't) want to spend $40K on a diesel tow vehicle. I'm purchasing an F-150 tomorrow and we plan on buying a lightweight TT (6,500lbs GVWR). I fully expect it to struggle up hills and mountains, but that's the way it's going to have to be. I'm older and I'd like to think I'm mellow enough now to drive in the right lane and let people pass comfortably.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:35 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've always said that 6000 pounds is the comfortable limit for most 1/2 tons. While not everyone over that should get a diesel, a V10 is $6k cheaper than a diesel and tows 12k pounds.

Old 10-29-2007, 02:15 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
HA!!! funny you bring that up APT...Just last week my truck blew a plug and left me stranded. (well, not really. I just preferred not to drive it 30 miles like that when getting it home was easy) So, I borrowed my buddys F-250 V10, went and got a trailer, and went to get my truck.

I have never ever been soo dissapointed in a vehicle since I can't remember when. Most of this dissapointment stems from recently driving a new 6.4L, but still. 65 miles round trip (half of that with an empty trailer) and used almost 3/4 of a tank of gas. On flat freeway, I swear I could see the gas needle move Power...what ever!!! Pulling the load was better than towing with my truck, yea. It was by no means what I'd call an overwhelming experience. Would it be better for the job in the long run?? I'd have to say yes. Would it be worth the upgrade to trade my truck for a V-10??? Nope! If I can't go all the way up, I'll stay where I'm at. Heck, the fuel cost alone would never justify the upgrade! Driving the truck without a load was very misleading also becasue it felt no where near stronger than my 5.4.

Last edited by Galaxy; 10-29-2007 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:35 PM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very interesting experience! I haven't heard anyone complain about Ford's V10 for power or fuel economy (10-14mpg unloaded). You do have some decent mods to your truck that help, so maybe that's why there didn't seem like much improvement. What year was your buddy's truck?

Old 11-07-2007, 01:04 AM
Hey Galaxy?

What kind of gas mileage are you seeing when you tow 8,000lbs with your F150? Like I said earlier, I just purchased my new 5.4L XLT last week and we'll be looking to get our first TT in a year or so. I live in WA State and will face a mountain pass while towing a few times each year. My plan is to keep the GCVW of the trailer to 7K or less fully loaded.

Also, what kink of RPM's will I be looking at when on the flats?

Old 11-10-2007, 11:37 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
With my trailer loaded up, I get anything between 7 to 9. 9's about the best I've seen. But, I don't get much better than 13 unloaded anyways, so to me that's not all that drastic.

Quick Reply: Anothert Toy Hauler Question