Towing & Hauling

Anothert Toy Hauler Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 08:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anothert Toy Hauler Question

I have a 2006 F-150 screw 4x4 fx4 w/ 5.4. It came stock with 18" rims. I just upgraded to KMC 20's w/ BFG all terrains. I also have the K&N air filter system upgrade. Ok that is what I have now here is what I'm planning.

I'd like to buy a Toy Hauler. Probably a Fleetwood Nitrous. More than likely I will get the 19' 23' overall lenghth.
GVWR (lbs) 7,700
Cargo Carrying Capacity (lbs) 3,570
Gross Dry Weight (lbs) 4,130
Hitch Dry Weight (lbs) 488

I was told that this will work ok with my truck. I have a Rhino and a couple of Dirtbikes. Probably no more than 2000lbs to put in it.

I will get the brake controller and I was considering air bags. I would obviously have to get a weight distributing hitch. How will this work. What is the most that my particular model can tow there are a lot of myths out there and I know you guys can help.

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:47 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My problem with smaller toy haulers is the toys in the living space. Dirt/mud gets everywhere inside to clean and you have to park the toys outside to sleep anyway. Would you consider a hybrid RV with exterior storage for the toys? Travelstar has several options and the Rockwod Roo 232 has space for one ATV in front.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:21 AM
The 20s will hurt your towing capacity slightly. Add that to the loaded weight of the trailer (it's not just the toys, but all the other gear and tools and fuel and water and, and, and...), most likely, for a weekend out, you'll be looking at least 3,000#, probably (if you travel like most people) 3,500#.

If the trailer runs true to form, when you scale it, it will be 1,000# heavier than the published numbers.

Having towed an 18' enclosed car trailer with a 5,000# truck in it (8,000#), I would say the load is 1,800 to 2,000# more than you can comfortably tow with your truck.

There are going to be a bunch of guys say "you're golden, inside the trucks limits", but... realistically, you're in F250 land on that trailer, no matter what the salesman tells you.

Old 08-21-2007, 02:36 PM
Toy Hauler Cont...

Ok. I really don't mind the setup w/ my stuff in the living quarters. Thats how most are and my friends are all really happy with theirs.

I will only probably tow it a couple weekends a month and only take it on long trips up significant grades once ever couple of months.

I understand that I am at or near its real limit, but I cant really find a concrete limit. If I got the air bags and the brake controller I don't really see it being a problem. Obviously you are more knowledgable than I am in these circumstances but I'm not ready to step up to an 250/350. I probably will later.

I would like some sort of concrete number of towing capacity w/ these mods. I know it is tough to say but I want to get the largest trailer possible w/out significantly harming my truck.

Thanks

Old 08-21-2007, 02:49 PM
All the mods in the world don't really increase your truck's capacity in the eyes of the law.

In my opinion, the trans and engine are the weak links - engine is low on power and the trans (IMHO) doesn't seem to like heavy loads. Realistically, 6,000# on a S'crew is about the limit, especially with the amount of towing you do (couple weekends a month is a lot). On the flat, 8,000# is hard to get up to speed (and maintain it). In the mountains, plan on first gear and a screaming engine, if it will stay there at all.

I would seriously check the real weights on everything, rarely does anyone overestimate their loaded weights - usually, they way underestimate.

If you scale it loaded and you're around that 6,000# limit, you are probably good to go - but you are the only one that knows what you are going to take with you. If you have one, make sure you get the wife's input on what she plans to take... I'll leave it at that, but be aware that they can add a lot of extra weight you weren't planning on.

Old 08-21-2007, 02:50 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, I'm going to be one of those guys to tell you that you're fine with your set up. I've got an '01, so I'm down on power and tranny quality on you already and I pull a 23' Forrest River. My "estimated" fully loaded for the weekend races weight is probably slightly under 8k lbs. That's really pushing it for my truck. Legally, I'm safe with a book rating of 8,300 lbs. Performance...the funny thing is, my truck doesn't seem to drive that differently with it full up or completely empty. My problem has been temperatures. Specifically water and tranny. Tranny does great and completely normal on the highway, but gets hot, and hot fast, in traffic. Water temps about the same but still runs higher than I'd like it all the time. I have a two core radiator and a tranny cooler off a '01 F-250 on the way and will be installed before the next pull. The power is not great, but it's not to the point where it's miserable to pull the trailer. Biggest thing...learn your truck and what it wants, and how to drive it. Get a real tranny temp gauge and water temp gauge. I also have a real oil temp gauge but no problems there. Runs hotter towing, but nothing abnormal or unsafe for the engine/oil. WDH is mandatory!!! I am also considering something else for the rear...air bags or a new spring pack all together as I don't want to ruin the non-towing ride with add-a-leafs or helper springs. Overall, I am not dissapointed in getting a trailer to use with my 150 and the trailer is not 'too much' for the truck, nor have I ever felt unsafe or pushed around by the trailer.

Oh yea...like APT said...you mentioned the toys being in the living space not being a big deal?? Give it a couple of trips. That's my numero uno biggest complaint about my trailer. The toys must come out every time to set up home!! PITA!! I hate that. But, life's about compromise and a trailer with the capacity to avoid this is just plain and simply not an option with something you can pull with a 150.

Just to add one more thing...my temperature problems are only on 90+ degree days. As soon as the temps drop down below 90, my tranny and water temps are completely fine. But, I'm still gonna address the issue.

Last edited by Galaxy; 08-21-2007 at 04:56 PM.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:05 PM
I am going to agree with Galaxy. Your newer truck is going to be way better to handle the LBS. I too am down on power 260hp plus a lift, big tires and a box that is 21feet and 4900lbs empty and I would say 7k full. I pull it fine on flat ground but any little hill and I can't keep my TQ locked in 3rd to save my life. And it does pull much better with nothing in it but at 65 that is it. The wind is my biggest enemy.

Trending Topics

Old 08-23-2007, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by acanswers
I have a 2006 F-150 screw 4x4 fx4 w/ 5.4. It came stock with 18" rims. I just upgraded to KMC 20's w/ BFG all terrains. I also have the K&N air filter system upgrade. Ok that is what I have now here is what I'm planning.

I'd like to buy a Toy Hauler. Probably a Fleetwood Nitrous. More than likely I will get the 19' 23' overall lenghth.
GVWR (lbs) 7,700
Cargo Carrying Capacity (lbs) 3,570
Gross Dry Weight (lbs) 4,130
Hitch Dry Weight (lbs) 488

I was told that this will work ok with my truck. I have a Rhino and a couple of Dirtbikes. Probably no more than 2000lbs to put in it.

I will get the brake controller and I was considering air bags. I would obviously have to get a weight distributing hitch. How will this work. What is the most that my particular model can tow there are a lot of myths out there and I know you guys can help.

Thanks in advance.

You are good to go I have a toy hauler with the similar weights and it pulls very nice. I live in Colorado and I can pull the mountains just fine, 50-55 on the steep grades otherwise its the speed limit every where else.

You should not need air bags unless you have a leveling kit, but if you don't it will be fine. But a weight distributing hitch is a must, I have a leveling kit on my truck and with the WDH it sits within an inch of the front. Without the WDH its hello to draggin the bumper on the ground (its not that bad but it does squat ). The model of toy hauler I have has 715 lbs of hitch weight, so you will be better in that department. BTW my toy hauler is a Fun Finder Xtra XT-200. Good luck shopping it took me 2 years before I decided on this model.

Old 08-24-2007, 11:01 AM
It's fairly simple you are not in 3/4 ton territory in my opinion. Take it to a scale, set up like your going to haul it, water bikes etc and weight it, make sure you are under you GCWR and under Gross Weight on all axles. Move weight around as needed but I can tell you that trailer won't be over weight. Also, to those who say "the trailers weight about 1000 lbs more then published" your correct. If you actually read the paperwork that is DRY weight, you have to add water, generator, fuel, propane, etc.

If the trailer GVW is 7700 then you are fine as the truck is rated to carry well over 8500 lbs (3.73 gears). If you trailer weights more then 7700 lbs your over the GVW of the trailer not the vehicle.

Old 08-24-2007, 12:22 PM
I'm not saying you are overweight based on the ratings, I'm saying with practical towing experience, 7700# is overwieght for an F150. Again, on the flat it's not bad, in the hills it's not good, in the mountains it sucks.

I love my truck, but the 5.4 is not the strongest pulling motor I have ever owned in a half ton. It's a good solid motor, but lower on power than a 7700# trailer really wants.

Old 08-24-2007, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by MonteCarlo31
It's fairly simple you are not in 3/4 ton territory in my opinion. Take it to a scale, set up like your going to haul it, water bikes etc and weight it, make sure you are under you GCWR and under Gross Weight on all axles. Move weight around as needed but I can tell you that trailer won't be over weight. Also, to those who say "the trailers weight about 1000 lbs more then published" your correct. If you actually read the paperwork that is DRY weight, you have to add water, generator, fuel, propane, etc.

If the trailer GVW is 7700 then you are fine as the truck is rated to carry well over 8500 lbs (3.73 gears). If you trailer weights more then 7700 lbs your over the GVW of the trailer not the vehicle.

Ask around outside your dealerhship on this as every manufacturer has their own rules for weighing a trailer. Also, a generator is included in the dry weight if it's part of the trailer. I know Forrest River's dry weights include accessories...supposedly

I will also bet you good, hard earned money, you will alwasy exceed the GVWR of the truck before you exceed the max trailer weight of the truck. My numbers are 13,000 GVWR and 8,300 max trailer weight. BUT, the truck weighs 5,500 lbs. Now I'm no math major, but that only leaves 7,500 lbs for a trailer no matter how you shift, stack, or what ever you want to do with the weight.

If you are honest about what you are shopping for since you have a 150, you shouldn't end up in a bad or dangerous situation.

It is also my recommendation that you don't weigh your set up at the scales. I bought a trailer with a dry weight of 5,600 lbs and I knew I would never have more than 800 lbs of toys in it. I've already bought the dang thing, so what good does it do to weigh it now??? I just rather not know

Old 08-24-2007, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by Galaxy
I just rather not know
X2 on that one!! The place where I dump my tanks has a scale, I look at it every time I am there

Old 08-27-2007, 11:59 PM
Smile Towing with a 5.4 F-150

I had a 05 F-150 Screw with 5.4L and 3.73 RE. I pull a Jayco Qwest w/ 5680 dry wight and probably around 7000 loaded. On trips from WA to AZ twice, I was "ok" especially on the level. But, the engine and tranny really felt the hills. In the mountains, lots of down shifting and high rpms. Structurally the truck felt safe but I felt that it wouldn't be many more trips before something had to give. So, I am now driving an 06 F250 6.0 PSD. The difference in pulling power is tremendous. I really liked the 150 for daily driving, but for pulling there is no comparison with the diesel. BTW, I had Troyer tuning, Magnaflow catback exhaust and Airraid intake on the 150 but I don't plan on changing anything on the 6.0. Don't need to.

Old 08-29-2007, 01:03 PM
You will not like it. So people say "it's not that bad" and I was one of them.

I pull a 25ft Thor Transport with 100 gallon water 3 quads and full gear, food, gen, tv, etc. I was pulling at or a little over my 8200# rating. I thought, "this isn't so bad".

Then I traded it in on a 3/4 dodge CTD 4x4. Holysh*t what a difference.

If a new truck isn't an option take her easy. I disliked how I got pushed around more than anything else.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:42 AM
I think why some of us (F-150 tow-ers) say it's not that bad is because unlike your description, with my 7k lb + payload, I have never ever felt "pushed around" by my trailer. Is the power nice?? No, but it does work. Would a big diesel be better?? Ummmm, ya think!! I don't care what you pull, nothing is going to compare to a 250/350 diesel, no matter how much they advertise these trailers being made for 1/2 tons, and I don't think anyone in their right mind would even attempt to argue that.

Everyone's experience is different and everything a compromise...unless you've just flat out got the cash and don't have to compromise. Me...compromise. I can't own my toyhauler, keep my toys and my current lifestyle, and upgrade to a big truck. A choice I have to make.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not flaming at all...I'm just saying I personally have learned that when most guys with 1/2 tons say "it really ain't that bad", they mean it. I have pulled other loads with other trucks and I can honestly say the only improvement from upgrading to a big truck would be the power. The handling department and everything else is A-OK. The big thing with a 1/2 ton is you truely do have to be realistic about what you're doing.

Quick Reply: Anothert Toy Hauler Question