Towing & Hauling

Front mount hitch?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 12:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front mount hitch?

Anyone know where I can buy a front mount hitch for my 05 4.6 xl? I think it would be super esy for me to launch my boat and trailer.

Old 08-27-2007, 12:12 AM
You are correct, one can easily launch even around a tight corner with a front mounted hitch.
I just take a piece of 2" and attach it accross the front frame members and then bolt a cheap 2" reciever to that. Doesn't have to be super strong as your not going to pull anything down the road so my grandpa even used a bumper mounted hitch.

Old 08-27-2007, 12:16 AM
I have a boat that weighs 1 ton and I want to be able to stop it so it doesn't mess my frame or anything up. I am not a cheap person I would spend the extra money to have a complete bolt on system if they make one. Any help would be nice. I want to just be able to slap it in 4 wheel drive and back up and pull my boat outa the water with no problems and launch it. I am horrible with backing a trailer up.

Old 08-27-2007, 12:17 AM
I have seen one before but I thought it was not functional till i saw it on a chevy at the dock and I was like damn that is hella kool.

Old 08-27-2007, 02:55 PM
I wouldn't publicly admit to needing a front mount hitch to launch my boat!

Old 08-27-2007, 03:10 PM
Well if your that bad at backing up a trailer, do you even need to be pulling trailer?

Old 08-27-2007, 03:44 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
Hey, if it makes it easier and quicker for you, do it - the people waiting in line at the ramp will appreciate it.

Trending Topics

Old 08-27-2007, 07:27 PM
You can see my Draw-Tite front hitch in my gallery, and can search old threads of mine for discussions. I use it mainly for a cargo carrier, to carry three bicycles when I have a bed full of gear and a camper on the back.

Four bolts is all it takes . . . .

Old 08-27-2007, 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by fangsnu
Anyone know where I can buy a front mount hitch for my 05 4.6 xl?

Etrailer has them.

http://www.etrailer.com/fitguidefmr.htm

Old 08-27-2007, 10:42 PM
well it is not really for me Im 18 and my dad 59 has a horrible time backing the damn boat in the water so if I put one on my truck and maybe it won't take 10-15 minutes to launch a boat and reduces some of the mothafers we say to each other.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:35 AM
Instead of spending the money on a front hitch might want to try gassing up the truck, hitching up the boat and heading to your nearest parking lot. Spend 27 gallons of gas backing up a trailer and you won't ever have a problem again. To get my Pop-Up into it's spot I have to back thru a gate with no more than 3" on each side, while dodging a school bus stop sign, and maple tree from the street with a 90 degree turn and do it all at least 5-10 MPH so the trailer tires will ride up over all the tree roots and the lip of the concrete pad with out my truck tires breaking traction on the slick grass. It always makes for an eventful return from camping. Seriously if you can get good enough to back a trailer into a parking space you'll not ever have to worry about the front hitch and it's a skill that will stay with you for life.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:41 AM
I find the front hitch very helpful putting things away on tight quarters (my barn). For launching... bit of a hassle unhooking and rehooking, but if it saves time and embarassment at the launch, why not?

Drawtight, hidden hitch, there's a bunch of them. My issue was where they come out (under the front valance), so I cut it did some re-engineering. Now it comes out through the top of the license plate. Works great for moving trailers and the winch.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:49 AM
People can say what they want, who cares. Bottom line I've used the front hitch to help my friend launch his 38' house boat. He has to back the boat up over a blind hill and around the corner then the ramp drops off at a steep angle. Mind you, yes it can be done with a rear mounted hitch but more than one bloke has backed their houseboat into the side of the hill or off the the edge of the ramp. With the front mounted hitch and 4lo it's a breeze. Skill well he is a truck driver so it's not like he has no practice. As for strength, well like I said this is a 38' houseboat. My frame mounted hitch had absolutely no problem with it. On my last truck we had it fixed so that you flip up the front lic mount to access the hitch. Thus when not in use you don't even see it.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:20 PM
That is exactly what I want. So I can have it but when Im not using it you dont see it. I also want to use it to put a winch on it there in the front. We did do the backing up thing with my dad. I can do it no problem but he never wants me to do it. He busted one tire and broke the brake line by falling off the side of the ramp and what the hell it take 2 minutes to hook and un hook. It is no big deal at all plus it would look hella kool putting it in like that. Also do you have any problem backing it back out of the water when your are loading it back up like spining. We both have 4wd so it is no biggie I am just wondering?

Old 08-28-2007, 11:24 PM
Well, this is a very steep grade and loose stone to boot. Thus the use of 4lo. Going down the slope no slippage just slow and easy. Coming out we would use the rear mounted hitch not too bad when it was dry. When the ramp is wet it sometimes takes two trucks to get up the hill. Again though, this is a 38' houseboat. BTW- I used a lic plate frame from an older model Plymouth to rig up the door for the hitch.

Quick Reply: Front mount hitch?