Towing & Hauling

Trailer lighting/Wiring question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 07:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trailer lighting/Wiring question.

Hi all,

I have been lurking around here for a few months, and I think this is my first post! I have learned SO much from each of you and taken what I have learned and purchased a used 2001 Shadowmaster 7x16 V-Nose from a really nice guy in NC.

Now onto the question....Everything on the trailer works fine (electric brakes, brake lights, running lights etc..) except for the interior dome light. My question is, is what powers that light? If all other lighting is working, but the dome light isn't, is it on a different circuit? The only thing I can see that I don't have is the Towing Battery Charge relay in my 05 FX4. Could this be causing a problem with the dome light? I put a light tester on the battery for the break away brakes, and the battery is dead (the seller didn't even know it had a battery, so I doubt it has ever been charged properly).

Any ideas?

Thanks!!

NCC

Old 09-29-2007, 09:50 PM
Have you tried turning on the marker lights and then switching on the dome light? Most of the trailers I have been around that had a dome light this was the circuit that it was running off of. Of course these were 4 wire trailers too so that may be why. You could always connect a battery directly to the 12v pin on the trailer and try the dome light. If that works then you need the charging relay. But for simplicity I would try switching on the parking lights on the truck and trying the dome light first.

Old 09-29-2007, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by F.L.U.F.
Have you tried turning on the marker lights and then switching on the dome light? Most of the trailers I have been around that had a dome light this was the circuit that it was running off of. Of course these were 4 wire trailers too so that may be why. You could always connect a battery directly to the 12v pin on the trailer and try the dome light. If that works then you need the charging relay. But for simplicity I would try switching on the parking lights on the truck and trying the dome light first.

Hi!

Thanks for the response. Yes, I have tried that with no luck. I have the 7-pin (flat pin) connector. Where would the 12v pin be located on the plug?

Thanks!

NCC

Old 09-29-2007, 10:35 PM
Actually it is marked on the connector on the truck, but it is the pin that is at 11 o'clock if your looking at the front of the connector with the retaining lug at the top.

Old 09-29-2007, 10:50 PM
..........[]
----> /....\
........|..0.|
.........\.../

That one, man do I suck at drawing or what?

Old 09-29-2007, 11:06 PM
..........[]
----> /....\
........|..0.|
.........\.../

That one, man do I suck at drawing or what?
Nah...good drawing!! I appreciate your help!!

NCC

Old 09-30-2007, 01:59 PM
Dumb thought but you did verify the bulb was good didn't you?

Trending Topics

Old 09-30-2007, 02:11 PM
Dumb thought but you did verify the bulb was good didn't you?
Yeah, I looked at the bulb and the filament looks to be OK. I can't figure out how to take the cover off to actually check the socket or put another bulb in though...

NCC

Old 09-30-2007, 02:15 PM
A hammer, works every time.

Old 09-30-2007, 02:42 PM
A hammer, works every time.
Hahaha....I thought about that!! But I was able to figure out how to take it off, without the hammer

Bulb is fine.....

NCC

Old 09-30-2007, 08:57 PM
I'm guessing that all the wiring inside the trailer is covered by paneling and you can't trace it to see where it connects can you?

Old 09-30-2007, 09:35 PM
I'm guessing that all the wiring inside the trailer is covered by paneling and you can't trace it to see where it connects can you?

Wow..it is like you are right here!! Yes, it is a finished custom trailer, so the interior is covered, so tracing is difficult. I am going to try to get my hands on a tone generator and try to trace the wires to the connector that way..

NCC

Old 09-30-2007, 09:46 PM
Be careful with the tone generator and clip both leads to the wire and disconnect the breakaway battery if you haven't done so. The reason I state to clip both of the wires of the tone generator to the light wire is that the tone generator is powerful enough to bleed the signal over to other wires that run closely to that wire. Thinking about it you could skip the tone generator and connect a 9-volt to the wire feeding the light and ground then test the pins on the trailer connector for one with 9 volts, hopefully the 12v pin, or the wire for the light has become disconnected somewhere and you will end up taking the interior panels off to find where it is disconnected.

Old 09-30-2007, 10:25 PM
Be careful with the tone generator and clip both leads to the wire and disconnect the breakaway battery if you haven't done so. The reason I state to clip both of the wires of the tone generator to the light wire is that the tone generator is powerful enough to bleed the signal over to other wires that run closely to that wire. Thinking about it you could skip the tone generator and connect a 9-volt to the wire feeding the light and ground then test the pins on the trailer connector for one with 9 volts, hopefully the 12v pin, or the wire for the light has become disconnected somewhere and you will end up taking the interior panels off to find where it is disconnected.
Thanks for the advice!!! I hope I don't have to take the panels off because I will have to recaulk everything..... I haven't worked on it today, other than figuring out how to take off the lamp cover.....You know how it is..Sunday...Football..Beer.. CHIEFS 30- Chargers 16!!!!

NCC

Old 10-02-2007, 03:59 PM
Fixed it!!

Needed the charging relay. Went to the dealership and told the GM there that the relay was missing and was supposed to be in the truck in the glove box when purchased....he promptly went to a brand new truck, pulled out the wiring kit w/relay and handed it to me! Plugged it in..I have interior dome lighting!!

Thanks for all the replies!

NCC

Quick Reply: Trailer lighting/Wiring question.