Towing & Hauling

First heavy tow

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 12:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First heavy tow

Towed the enclosed trailer with the car in it for the first time this weekend. Its a 24ft enclosed and with the car its at least 7500 lbs. Plus another 500lbs in occupants and gear in the truck. I was a little concerned that the truck wouldn't have the umph to get the job done but much to my surprise it performed great.

I was seriously considering having to go to 4.10 rear end but I see no need for it now. The truck pulled great going up hills, maintained 70mph no problem (although I went 60ish most of the way) and really didn't seem to be straining that much at all.

I have an equalizer installed and P3 brake control. Combined they made for a very uneventful tow. Only mods on the truck are AF1 intake and Magnaflow SIDO exhaust. (still waiting to get my xcal to work).

So overall, quite pleased. Gas mileage sucks but I knew that would be the case. I can't be happier with the performance of the truck.

Old 10-01-2007, 02:46 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Congratulations , but don't let an early success make you overconfident. 70mph is risky with that much weight, no matter how your truck is set up, so take it easy. I had towed that much with my Bronco many times, but one moment of carelessness resulted in an interstate roll at 45mph.

Old 10-01-2007, 06:24 PM
great to hear your truck can tow... but what do you have in your truck? the 4.6 or the 5.4?

Old 10-01-2007, 09:09 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
With that weight he sure isn't towing with a 4.6, you must be kiddin...

Old 10-02-2007, 08:02 AM
Originally Posted by MercedesTech
great to hear your truck can tow... but what do you have in your truck? the 4.6 or the 5.4?

5.4 3v.

Old 10-02-2007, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by risupercrewman
With that weight he sure isn't towing with a 4.6, you must be kiddin...
This is why I would be impressed. I think the 4.6 is rated at about 7,000 or so (stock!) ... and isn't the 5.4 3v rated at 9,500 ? So whats the big deal if a 5.4 towed 7,500 (rated at 9,500 + 2,900 payload!!) ? My 4.6 could do that with no problem, all you need is a tranny cooler, Mag-hytech tranny pan, a mag-hytech dif cover and a temp guage for both. You probably don't even need those, it's just nice insurance.

RobertmIII: either way, I am glad to see you use your truck as a truck. these things have the best tow rating in its class, so heres to you!
Just wondering: what gears are you running? the 3.73? Limited Slip?

Last edited by MercedesTech; 10-02-2007 at 03:02 PM.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:13 AM
I'm running 3.55 LS. That's why I was concerned. The tow rating on my truck is 8k because of the diff and the 18" wheel/tire combo. So, I am actually really close to factory limit.

I'll be towing to Savanna in Dec so that will be a better test. The hills get pretty good going through the appellations. I'm still not convinced I won’t need a shorter rear end to ease getting up the bigger hills. 2k miles there and back will be a pretty good work out for her!

Last edited by robertmII; 10-03-2007 at 01:33 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 10-03-2007, 01:51 PM
2k miles!? now thats a test and a half. And ya that 3.55 will hurt just a bit but the LS should help. You running your truck completely stock? Stock tow package tranny cooler? Either way its an impressive tow and the up-coming 2k will be a mighty test . Might want to think about trany temp guage? (just a thought) And are you doing the gear swap before? or are you going to wait til after?

Old 10-04-2007, 01:09 PM
Originally Posted by MercedesTech
...that 3.55 will hurt just a bit but the LS should help...
How does LS help towing? I'm not very savvy with the towing and performance aspect of trucks but as I am reading more info about replacing my open diff with a limited slip diff I have read the opposite. I have read IF you are on the street and IF traction is not an issue an open diff gets the most power to the ground. Again I'm not one who knows much about this but I only ask because I am curious to know about this as I am planning on replacing my diff and going to LS. Thanks!

Old 10-05-2007, 12:14 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
L/S isn't helpful on dry pavement. Read this post.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:44 PM
Global Moderator &
Administrator
Contributor
Super Moderator
Received 136 Likes on 113 Posts
I pulled roughly 6000-6500 pounds no problem with my supercrew 4.6

Last edited by Patman; 10-05-2007 at 12:46 PM.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:47 PM
If I didn't have 4wd I would have been stuck in the parking lot at a tractor pull thanks to my open diffs. Went to pull out of the pits (dry grass lot) with my 5000lb tractor in tow and just spun helplessly, it didn't even try to move. I pulled the magic lever and never looked back, but if I didn't have that option I would have been looking for a tug or unloading my tractor. A limited slip would have helped alot, and a Detroit TruTrack is on my wish list for my truck. It would also be less likely to break loose from a start up a hill as well, if you are always out on the open road it isn't much of an issue, if you manuver trailers around at slow speeds they can help depending what your terrain is.

Old 10-05-2007, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by 02XLT4X4
If I didn't have 4wd I would have been stuck in the parking lot at a tractor pull thanks to my open diffs. Went to pull out of the pits (dry grass lot) with my 5000lb tractor in tow and just spun helplessly, it didn't even try to move. I pulled the magic lever and never looked back, but if I didn't have that option I would have been looking for a tug or unloading my tractor. A limited slip would have helped alot, and a Detroit TruTrack is on my wish list for my truck. It would also be less likely to break loose from a start up a hill as well, if you are always out on the open road it isn't much of an issue, if you manuver trailers around at slow speeds they can help depending what your terrain is.
Well put. LS WILL help you in those situation where you are trying to pull and traction is not at it's prime. This does not have to be off-road, this can be you coming up to a steep grade, at a stop light, in the rain. With open dif you will most like start spinning a tire and looking foolish, where as the LS will help give you (some) traction so you can start your tow. Sure if you tow on flat grounds, never in rain or snow, you really don't NEED a LS (but I would still want one). When i tow I am towing my suzuki samurai on a 2 axle trailer, and usually am towing in some pretty awful situations that requires 4wd and a LS dif (so i may be a bit bias). LS does NOT hurt your towing performance and can only help (it limits wheel spin but will still allow a tire to spin faster than the other for turning purposes). Its nice to have it there if you need it vs. needing a tug from someone else who does have it!! My buddy has an incredibly steep, long driveway up to his house. he runs open difs and needs to engage 4wd to stop spinning a tire where I just tow right on up to his front door in 2wd! and if your replacing your dif soon, might as well slap a LS in while you have it taken apart! (IMO!)

Last edited by MercedesTech; 10-05-2007 at 01:30 PM.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:36 PM
P.S. Look at ANY truck comercial. They give you MAX tow capacity... then if you read small print it says must be equiped with tow package 4x2 and have LIMITED SLIP. Also look around, almost every truck dealer sells a tow package and almsot all tow packages have LIMITED SLIP. There may be something to this... Limited slip can help bring your max tow rating up a bit!

Quick Reply: First heavy tow