Towing & Hauling

My first big load...

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 01:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy My first big load...

So I am PCS'ing from here in Florida back to Oregon in two days.

The military pays for the move but you have to go get ur truck weighed when it is empty and again when it is full.

I went to the scales with an empty truck, (3/4 tank of gas) and she weighed in at 5600 lbs...

So I was like okay i got a lot of stuff but I figured it weighed 800lbs at most.
So i spent 4.5 hours last night loading her up to the teeth with boxes and such and drove back to the scales today.

I went inside expecting to only see 6400 lbs on it, but to my surprise it said 7470 lbs!!!

I was like holy cow, and thats without my fat 275 lb a$$ inside of it.

Should I be okay for my trip home? Its over 3000 miles, and the sticker on my door says that My max weight should only be 1600 lbs, but i have 2000+

Any ideas or stories to reassure would be great guys and gals, thanx!

Old 10-08-2007, 01:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I helped my brother move to South Florida from Maryland last winter. I towed one of those tandem axle U-Haul trailers loaded from front to back, top to bottom, etc, etc. I also had my truck bed pretty well loaded front to back and up to the top of the cab with a tarp over it. I had two 200lb passsengers (including myself) plus my 90lb Labrador in the extended cab. I never did actually weigh my total load but I can tell you I had no problems what so ever. I just took my time, was not in any hurry, and tried to make the best out of getting 11 - 12 mpg on a 1000K (one way) trip. I'm sure I was well over my factory recommended weight but had no issues stopping or starting. The truck handled the load very smoothly. My trucks description and mods are listed below. Good luck man.

Old 10-08-2007, 02:04 PM
glc
Received 774 Likes on 715 Posts
What is your GVWR? If you are significantly over that, I'd consider renting a small trailer instead of packing everything in the bed.

Old 10-08-2007, 02:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
What is your GVWR? If you are significantly over that, I'd consider renting a small trailer instead of packing everything in the bed.
At 7470, he is over by about 270lbs, not including himself. Far better to tow a small trailer, rather than overload the truck, especially for a 3000mile plus drive.

Quick Reply: My first big load...