Towing & Hauling

Help on installing a trans oil cooler on a 03 Screw

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 05:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help on installing a trans oil cooler on a 03 Screw

I bought a TorqFlow Heavy Duty trans oil cooler to install on my 03 Screw that does not have the factory tow pkg. There is however a small trans oil cooler mounted under the radiator that has thrown me for a loop. What steps to I need to take to properly disconnect and remove the small cooler and install the new one? Specifically how do I disconnect the tubing running into the stock cooler, and then attach them to the hoses that will run to the new one. Thanks in advance for the help.

Old 10-09-2007, 05:19 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That small tranny cooler you're looking at is NOT a tranny cooler. It is a power steering cooler and leave it alone!!!! Not to sound like a jerk, but did you follow the lines off of said cooler to see where they go??? To the power steering pump! If your truck had a tranny cooler, it would be about 7"X8" and mounted in the front right hand corner of the front end, right in front of the air inlet on the lower plastic part of the bumper.

You need to trace the lines that run from the tranny on the right hand side that go to the radiator. The one that runs from the bottom of the radiator is the return line back to the tranny and the one you need to tap into. Since this is an aftermarket cooler, you'll have to figure mounting it from scratch and cut a section out of that line to plumb the new lines into.

What you should have done is gone with a Ford SD cooler like this one...

and then your installation worries are over in about 30 minutes. (that's how long it took me to install mine. This is not a photo of my truck but it's the same cooler and this is our body style truck with the grille removed) Then you only have to worry about tapping in the lines you need to run....Hey look...there's your power steering cooler too!!

Also, not familiar with the cooler you have but if it's one of those with the big round tubes and fins on it (looks kinda like your power steering cooler [kinda like anything you'd get from Perma-Cool ]) those are usually frowned upon for trannies because there is a big pressure drop through the cooler that has been known to have an effect on these computer controlled trannies. This Ford one is what's called a stacked plate cooler that doesn't experience this pressure driop. Just FYI in case.

Last edited by Galaxy; 10-09-2007 at 05:21 PM.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:11 PM
Thanks for the input

Galaxy,

Thanks for the heads up. If I had hooked it up like I was going to I would have had some well cooled power steering fluid. BTW, the one that I bought is a stacked plate cooler.

Just off hand, what did the ford cooler cost you?

Old 10-09-2007, 07:32 PM
$99.99. It's huge...like 7 1/2 X 22 X 1 1/2 (or there abouts). A little bit over double the surface are of the stock cooler. Yes, those brackets come already attached to the cooler making it a complete breeze to install. No riggin parts or mounting brackets, no modifications at all. Plus it's now up in the air flow, and gets air flow from the fans in traffic. The stocker got nada! At least you got the right design.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:02 PM
Originally Posted by Galaxy
$99.99. It's huge...like 7 1/2 X 22 X 1 1/2 (or there abouts). A little bit over double the surface are of the stock cooler. Yes, those brackets come already attached to the cooler making it a complete breeze to install. No riggin parts or mounting brackets, no modifications at all. Plus it's now up in the air flow, and gets air flow from the fans in traffic. The stocker got nada! At least you got the right design.
Your kidding? Where from??

Old 10-11-2007, 12:07 PM
www.getfordparts.com

This place is not shady...good prices, good service!

Old 10-11-2007, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by Galaxy
www.getfordparts.com

This place is not shady...good prices, good service!
Can you post the part number for that cooler?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Trending Topics

Old 10-11-2007, 12:19 PM
XC3Z7A095CA

Remember though...this cooler is for the heritage body style truck...i.e. '97-'03. This cooler specifically is from a '99-'00 F-250 Heritage (F-150 type) body style. I think it was also on the F-150's with the 7,700 lb payload option.

Here's all the info you can swallow on this cooler!!

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=291296

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=303740

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=302758

Quick Reply: Help on installing a trans oil cooler on a 03 Screw