Towing & Hauling

Yes, another Towing Question, sorry :)

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 03:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, another Towing Question, sorry :)

I've done some extensive searching in this forum to first try to answer my question, before bothering you all on it. (i hate it when, on other forums, people ask the same questions that others had 1000's of times)

Here's what I have. I bought a 2005 F-150, (15,000 miles used) 5.4L 4x4, with tow package. 145" wheelbase. Now supposedly, with 3:55 gears i have a tow capacity of 8,300 lb, and if i have 3.73 gears i can tow 9,300. This is all per the manual, but I don't have much confidence in the ratings in that book, once reading thru the archives of this forum.

I recently purchased a 2006 K-Z Sportsmen Sportster toy hauler, 26P. The unloaded weight is 6724 lb., 27' long. I put between 600-1000 extra pounds in equipment, coolers, etc.. ( I don't use the toy hauler for ATV's or anything like that)

When towing, it seems fine. I'm usually around 2,800 RPM @ 65 MPH on the flat highway. going up hills, she has a harder time with it, kicks it into lower gear and i'm at 3,200 rpm at about 45-50 mph.

Now in my search thru this forum, I've been getting mixed feelings.. seems that i don't have enough truck for my needs, while i've seen a few others post that they tow even more than that with no problems. What do you all think ? I don't want to tear up my truck and end up buying another one in another 20,000 miles.

Am I ok with the truck i have ? what other options can i look at to modify my truck to handle this load better if i need to ?

Thanks in advance for your help !

Old 10-14-2007, 04:25 PM
glc
Received 774 Likes on 715 Posts
As long as you are under the limits and you have a proper tranny cooler, hitch (you need a weight distribution setup), tires, etc., you will be fine. If you want better performance, put 4.10 gears in it, but that's going to be expensive doing both axles.

Of course, you would have a much better tow vehicle with a Super Duty and a bigger engine/stronger tranny.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:05 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are happy with performance and youi're under all the weight ratings, i have no problems. Check that GVWR and rear axle, I bet you're over both. Are you using a WD hitch at least?

Out of curiosity, why did you purchase a toy hualer if not for toys? You can usually get a better made RV with nicer materials, better floorplan, and less weight for less money if you get a regular trailer.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:15 AM
Out of curiosity, why did you purchase a toy hualer if not for toys? You can usually get a better made RV with nicer materials, better floorplan, and less weight for less money if you get a regular trailer.[/QUOTE]

I use it for BBQ competitions. the 10 'garage' in the back is prime space to haul my smoker (300#) and various stuff. I'm going to be in the Jack Daniel's World Championship Invitational next weekend, and just a bit concearned about the hills there.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:16 AM
yes, and i have a WD hitch

Old 10-15-2007, 10:51 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That's pretty cool about the BBQ competitions! Sounds like that Toy Hauler is perfect for that. I've seen several on TV and enjoyed watching them. I'm just a basic backyard griller myself..

The only way to know if you are really overloaded on anything is to drag it over some scales.. Try to find a Flying J as they will have scales that weigh each axle, including the trailers.

Sounds like a heavy load to me. Those rpms seem correct and about the same as mine when I'm towing my trailer...

Don't be afraid to let your 5.4 rev.. Your 5.4's peak power is in the upper rpm range anyway, so that's where you need to be anyway.

4.10's would probably be a good investment I'd think... With that heavy load, you might still be in third gear on the hwy and second on the hills, but the trans will like it better.. Think about riding an old 10 speed bike and how the gear you pick makes a difference when you get on a hill..

Keep up on the maintenance of the fluids, especially the trans fluid and you should be ok for the most part and that's really all you can do and just hope for the best!

Good luck with the towing and BBQ comps!

Mitch

Old 10-15-2007, 11:50 AM
thanks... that's what i'll do, I
l'll go to a flying J. there's one on the way. but i guess if i am over my limit, ain't too much i can do about it then.. but will have a winter project to think about.

Trending Topics

Old 10-15-2007, 11:37 PM
I currently have a similar truck and pull a 6000lb camper. It will downshift in the hills. Just make sure you have the OD off and keep your maintenance up to date (tranny, diffs, coolant, and oil). But don't expect much for fuel mileage. On a recent trip I averaged 7.5mpg with a bit of a head wind on the way home. I got a little over 200 miles on that tank. Never lacked on power though. Just got up there in the RPMs. One reason I am looking at a F250 with a PSD.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:10 AM
speaking of fuel milage, on a flat trip from north to south indiana i averaged 10 mpg. going thru a hilly part of s. indiana i was 8 mpg.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:43 AM
glc
Received 774 Likes on 715 Posts
That is a problem with towing with a 5.4 up near the limits - it WILL suck gas. A diesel will do much better here and I'd bet a V10 wouldn't be any worse.

Old 10-16-2007, 03:19 PM
I used to tow a 6'x12' cargo trailer, with about 1000lbs. in it for a total weight of 3000.. it got 10 mpg towing this "parachute".. i was pleasantly surprised tto see hat more than twice as much weight was close to the same mpg.

Quick Reply: Yes, another Towing Question, sorry :)