Towing & Hauling

Big Tex Trailers: Anyone ever own One?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 11:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Big Tex Trailers: Anyone ever own One?

I'm interested in getting some opinions on Big Tex trailers.
They look like there made pretty damn good.

Old 10-15-2007, 01:40 PM
They are. Get one.

Old 10-15-2007, 03:09 PM
I don't own one but living in Dallas you see them ALL the time. I bet 8 of every 10 construction type trailer in Dallas is a Big Tex. I'm talking about the type of trailer that carries a back hoe tractor or similar heavy equipment. I've only ever heard good things about them.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:19 PM
I have a 16 foot and have hauled alot of stuff with it,plus a small pickup. Some of the trailers they sell out there are from Mexico,Big Tex is US made.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:04 PM
I sure see a million of them here in Tejas....I had to borrow one once, it was impressive. Well build Could drive a bike or a ATV on the rear deck with no problems.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:45 PM
Thumbs up

Thanks guys,

I appreciate it.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:14 AM
Dealing in the service end of the industry I would put Big Tex on par with most of the industry. There are better made trailers available, and definately other brand trailers that I wouldn't use except to haul a futon.

Big Tex are Ok. They are made in Texas which makes them very popular in that area as it keeps trailer costs down as they are not shipped in. In Colorado most of the Big Tex are over priced as they need to add $300-400 to cover shipping here.

A better made trailer for the same price is Eagle out of Laurence KS. They are a smaller manufacturer that is making a better trailer for the same money to compete with the big boys in this industry. Also made in the USA. One nice innovative feature is no-tool-needed removable fenders so you don't munch them loading, or if you are loading a car you can still open and close the door after driving it on.
http://www.usatrailers.com/

Last edited by Colorado Osprey; 10-16-2007 at 04:33 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 10-17-2007, 04:03 PM
I've owned a Big Tex for about 6 years now. It has been a good trailer except for the wiring. My wiring got real brittle, and built up a lot of resistance. One the same hand the trailer is a ranch trailer and has spent a lot of time in dirt. I would recommend one.

Old 10-18-2007, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by OVER_KILL
I'm interested in getting some opinions on Big Tex trailers.
They look like there made pretty damn good.
I almost bought one, but after seeing PJ and Load Trail (brothers), I'd throw stones at Big Tex. PJ has removble sides on thir landscape trailers, and I've had a 10, 12, and two 14 footers. The 14's use the same heavywall 5" channel that most car carrier trailers use along with heavywall angle cross braces on 16" centers. Do a search - you won't be sorry. Even if it's a drive to get one you won't regret it.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by Smokewagun
I almost bought one, but after seeing PJ and Load Trail (brothers)...
Estranged...hence why there is 2 different companies... they don't get along.. or at least they didn't. lately, Load Trail has been very difficult to get for dealers and a lot of dealer quit carrying them. I know of 6 locally. Structurally they are very similar without copying each other.

PJ in their lightest version uses 5" channel frame (most use 6") with 24" on center c-channel cross members.

Kinda makes a Big Tex look like a futon hauler underneath with 4" channel standard and angle iron cross members. Some of the cross members are as far apart as 36" depending on trailer size over the axles.

Again, don't get me wrong, Big Tex are ok. There are some manufacturers that use 2"x3" 1/8"wall tubing for their frame with 2" cross members on 36" centers.

There are better trailers than Big Tex and their certainly are worse.

Again, Eagle uses 6" or 7" c-channel frame and cross members on 18" for the same price as a Big Tex. Kinda even makes a PJ look weak.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:59 AM
Yes, from what I was told, PJ and Load Trail are brothers, but each had different ideas – although you’d never know it by looking at their trailers. PJ probably utilizes heavier frame material from the start because of their removable sides.

I just bought a Load Trail. PJ had a fire last year at their factory, and had a hard time keeping up with orders. PJ was out over 8 weeks on orders. Load Trail could deliver my custom trailer in about 2-3 weeks. It still took over 8 from them, too. I love the weight and the quality. It could easily handle much more than it’s spec’d for. Mine is a 14 foot landscape trailer with full car ramps that store under the trailer and can be locked away. The side rails in the front remove and make ramps as well to drive my ATV’s up crossways. I had screw-type jacks installed on the rear sides to hold the trailer steady when uncoupled from the truck in my barn. Now, I can store m ATV or tractor on the trailer in my barn without losing valuable floor space from an empty trailer, or having the trailer tip when I drive off when it’s unhitched. They also put heavy welded D-rings where I wanted them. Back when I looked at Big Tex, they would not custom build anything. After three PJ’s (upgraded to bigger one each time, and now a Load Trail just the way I want it (for now), I can say I have nothing bad to say about either. Their wiring is very good, sealed terminations, and run in conduit. PJ now powdercoats their trailers, which is another reason I went with Load Trail… too hard to touch-up powdercoatings (although it’s more durable they say).

I'll have to look at Eagle - they sound great. Thanks for the information!

Quick Reply: Big Tex Trailers: Anyone ever own One?