Towing & Hauling

Motorcycle sidcare racing, toyhauler, and towing

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 06:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Motorcycle sidcare racing, toyhauler, and towing

Guys,

To start with a general question .........
I can't afford to buy a new truck, have just had my 03 F150 (4.6L V eight) 4x4 chipped, had upgraded brakes installed, big transmission cooler and had the suspension stiffened up with an extra leaf spring & monroe shocks ........

I'm looking at getting either a 6200lb dry KZ Sportster 26P Travel Trailer or a 7200lb dry KZ Sportster 29P Fifth Wheel. I already have an "equalizer" hitch for my current trailer.

I realise that these are heavy for the standard truck but generally which will be better for my truck a TT or a 5th wheel?

I should also add that the rear of the toyhauler will have around 1000lbs of weight which will counterbalance the tongue weight.

Any help would be appreciated as I would like to make this work.

Mick

Old 10-24-2007, 06:35 PM
Motorcycle SIDECAR racing not sidcare

F2 class specifically.

Time for a Beer

Old 10-30-2007, 02:07 PM
glc
Received 774 Likes on 715 Posts
No matter what mods you do, loading and/or towing over the listed factory limits is not advisable and CAN get you a ticket if you get stopped by a cop with portable scales.

Old 10-30-2007, 04:00 PM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hahaha!

29P has 1680 pounds of hitch weight, plus a 200 pound receiver, at least yourself. You're over GVWR and rear GAWR. Don't do it.

26P has 1160 dry tounge weight, that will still probably put you over GVWR and GAWR.

You need to look at GVWR of the RV's while shopping as that's what you'll be closer to than dry ratings. Add any trailer options, water, fuel, etc and you'll be 10-15% over trailer "dry rating" before you add your toys.

Your truck brakes don't matter as the trailer should stop itself (with a properly adjusted good brake controller). What axle ratio you do you have? Check driver's door sticker for axle code if you don't know. A 4x4 4.6L is rated between 5500 and 6800, depending on axle, wheel size, cab configuration. The most GCWR you can have is 11.5k, minus about 5k for your truck. So, you'll be over that with a base trailer.

Take a look at your budget again, because if spending $20-25k on a new RV means you cannot aford the appropriate truck, then you really cannot aford that trailer either. Have you considered a hybrid toy hauler? Lots of living space with the tent end beds, front outside cargo area for the toys, a lot lighter, and cheaper. Something like this Rockwood Roo would work, but there are other brands/floorplans as well.

Last edited by APT; 11-02-2007 at 02:18 PM.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:50 AM
glc
Received 774 Likes on 715 Posts
In all honesty, if you are looking at towing things like that you are in Superduty territory. That's the bottom line. The only way I'd tow one of those with your truck is on a VERY occasional basis, for short distances, and not in hilly country. Not saying that you can't do it, but it will be hard on your truck and your pucker factor.

A friend of mine is a roofing contractor - and has a 2000 F-550 with a 12 foot dump bed and a 7.3 PSD. He loads it up and hooks up a trailer frequently - and the whole rig weighs out at around 25 to 28k. He's been through 8 transmissions in the thing.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:20 AM
Originally Posted by mickboyle
Guys,

To start with a general question .........
I can't afford to buy a new truck, have just had my 03 F150 (4.6L V eight) 4x4 chipped, had upgraded brakes installed, big transmission cooler and had the suspension stiffened up with an extra leaf spring & monroe shocks ........

I'm looking at getting either a 6200lb dry KZ Sportster 26P Travel Trailer or a 7200lb dry KZ Sportster 29P Fifth Wheel. I already have an "equalizer" hitch for my current trailer.

I realise that these are heavy for the standard truck but generally which will be better for my truck a TT or a 5th wheel?

I should also add that the rear of the toyhauler will have around 1000lbs of weight which will counterbalance the tongue weight.

Any help would be appreciated as I would like to make this work.

Mick
If you are over the limits or close, IMO, not a good idea..

BTW, I race with WERA & CCS, and at Summit Point Main, (WV) about a month ago, they included a sidecar race. In fact, one of the monkeys (I think that is what you call the rider)borrowed my spare helmet!! Looks like the monkeys have all the fun...

Old 11-12-2007, 12:46 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If you're gonna tow any trailer over 5,000 lbs you need a F-450, period. It must be chipped and upgraded exhaust and at least 4.56 gears. Even then you want to make sure it has a G load rating on the tires. Even then I'd be skeptical if I had to climb any hills. The new 6.4L twin turbo may be OK on some hills, but even then I'd be cautious and take it easy. If you get much over 5k, it's gonna start pushing that 450 around pretty easy and you may want to upgrade the tranny cooler.

Naaaaa, just kidding. This seems to be the mentality most of the time, but yea...I don't think that 4.6 is going to be up to the task. It's not even going to be enjoyable if you stayed on flat road, short trips. That motor and stock gears???? Now you can definately forget it. My trailer empty and stock gears sucked with a 5.4. Gears will do tons more for your towing pleasure than that chip ever will.

Quick Reply: Motorcycle sidcare racing, toyhauler, and towing