Towing & Hauling

Weight Dist Bar falling off

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 11:50 AM
TWG
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weight Dist Bar falling off

I have an '04 F150 and tow a 20' box trailer with a two seater sand rail. Lately, when I make a hard right turn or go through a dip (like coming out of a gas station) the right weight distribution bar disconnects at the hitch. Any thoughts?

Old 11-05-2007, 11:10 AM
It sounds like you don't have something adjusted correctly or there is something broken on your hitch. All the hitches I have ever dealt with have some sort of mechanical device holding the bars in place. Round bars have detents in them to hold them into the hitch head, Trunion bars have to be put in the hitch head a certain way, then they have keepers that must be depressed before it can be removed, Equal-i-zer brand hitches have pins that go through the head and the bars. It sounds like you are missing parts or did not hook up correctly.

Old 11-05-2007, 04:07 PM
TWG
Originally Posted by the4by4freek
It sounds like you don't have something adjusted correctly or there is something broken on your hitch. All the hitches I have ever dealt with have some sort of mechanical device holding the bars in place. Round bars have detents in them to hold them into the hitch head, Trunion bars have to be put in the hitch head a certain way, then they have keepers that must be depressed before it can be removed, Equal-i-zer brand hitches have pins that go through the head and the bars. It sounds like you are missing parts or did not hook up correctly.
I pulled it out this weekend to look at it and think I found the problem. There is a pin that goes into the torsion bar. The clip that holds that pin in place was loose. For a short term fix, I taped the clip and the pin down with duct tape. That worked for the weekend. I'll have to look at it closer to see if I can fix the clip or replace it.

I knew the clip was a little loose but when i inspected closer, it was really loose. I had no idea that little thing would make such a big difference.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:25 AM
This is the exact reason I inspect my hitch setup on a regular basis. Things break and wear out. Before I got my Equal-i-zer hitch I had a round bar WD setup. I used to snap the bars into the bottom of the hitch head and let them hang there by themselves. This is a good test of those little clips.

Quick Reply: Weight Dist Bar falling off