Towing & Hauling

selecting a WDH

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 03:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question selecting a WDH

I am using a 2007 F150, 5.4 to pull a stock trailer with a single horse. The trailer is about 2,100 pounds so I will never be towing the 5,000 limit that requires a WDH, but I still think it is a good idea to get one. It sounds like the Equal-i-zer is a good brand of weight distributor hitch. If I understand correctly, the wdh will also function as an anti-sway device which sounds like a good idea to me.

My question is - the prices are about the same for all sizes of the hitches - I found them for $400. Is there a disadvantage to getting one that is bigger then I anticipate needing? I was thinking about getting the 1000/10000 WDH, even though I could get away with the smallest one. Is there a recommended place to buy this product? I just did an online search, but don't know anything about the various retailers.

And a follow up question - are these difficult to install - should I have a trailer/hitch place do it?
thanks!
Sheryl

Last edited by Sheryl8185; 11-10-2007 at 04:05 PM.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:51 AM
Is this just a tandem axle 16-18' bumper pull stock trailer?
There just isn't much tongue weight there. (350-500#'s)
You shouldn't need a WD hitch at all as long as you aren't transporting a draft horse.
(Picturing Budweiser comercial)

It is really no different than any of the newer slant 2 horse trailers as far as weight. Almost all of these can be pulled with a 1/2 ton as long as it doesn't have a huge front dress and you don't own two monsters of horses.

I'd say save you money, try it out first without; I'd bet you won't need one.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:29 AM
When I originally purchased my Equalizer I was only pulling 4k (with a smaller truck). I bought the 10k unit though as the price was about the same. I'm glad I did because now that I tow more I can still use the same unit. I don't think it makes any difference how little you tow with any of the models in their range. The key is not to go over the rated capacity.

As for install. Its very straightforward with excellent directions. Definitely intended to be installed by the user. In fact, I would recommend doing it yourself as it helps you understand the dynamics of what's going on with the unit.

I sold my equalizer with my trailer and just bought a new one. Paid $440 shipped to my house. Look on ebay for buy it now prices. It delivered in about 3 days.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:49 PM
Well, I am not hauling any Clydesdales, but hauling horses IS different then hauling properly loaded dead weight. They are a top heavy, moving load - even if in my case the load is pretty light (trailer is 2,100, horse about 1,100 plus some misc stuff, still under 4,000 pounds),

This is just what I needed to know. I am going to get the 10K unit. I found the installation video on the Equal-i-zer website and it looks straightforward, but it is glad to hear confirmation that it is do-able. I didn't think about the benefit of understanding the functionality better - that is a good point. I will tell you that WDH work differently then I thought - it has been quite educational reading up on them. In general, horse trailers have pretty heavy tongue weight so people tell me that sway isn't a big problem, but that might come in handy on future uses so I think the Equal-i-zer is a good choice.

btw, I have hauled a horse trailer, but it was always with my monster Diesel F250 long bed, nicknamed "ole smokey" - it didn't even know there was a trailer back there even with just a regular hitch. I haven't yet taken my purty new F150 out with the trailer yet - still need to get my brake controller and wdh.

thanks!

Quick Reply: selecting a WDH