Towing & Hauling

4 pin to 7 pin - where to get 12 volts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 07:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 4 pin to 7 pin - where to get 12 volts?

I am trying to wire my 2000 F150 truck from 4 pin to 7 pin so I can hook it up to my avion trailer. I spliced into the orange and blue wire as described here:

http://www.etrailer.com/faq_fbc.aspx

This gives me a total of six wires and I am wondering where I can tap into a 12 volt line. Can I get 12 volts from the orange auxiliary power wire? When I tested the orange line with my meter it was only a few volts. I read somewhere else that I need to run a wire all the way to the fuse block to get 12 volts?

Thanks for any help.

Smoky

Old 11-13-2007, 07:40 PM
No, I just did this, the orange=red. U just wont have backup lights unless u try to find which wire it is.

I didnt waste my time. The 4 plug wires right in and then u take the blue to the blue which runs up to the trailer brake plug prewired, then the black goes to the red(orange), the white goes to the ground. You can use the stock ground point just put an O adapter on the white and an extension wire aobut 6-8 inches as short as possible.

So quick break down, the wires from ur 7 plug will be blue, black, white, and yellow. You wont use the yellow umnless u look for the backup in the stock wires. The blue goes to blue in the prewiring, the black goes to the red/orange in the prewiring(your 12vt.) and the white gets grounded with the stock 4prong grounding point. The yellow I just tapped down securely in the tape job.

This does work, because Ive already tested it. My 04 FX4 atleast, and Im sure they didnt change much...

You will ned to look at where the rear 4 plug wires into the stock wires running all the way, the 2 corner wires that arent used in the harness are the ones you want for the brake and the 12vt.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:49 PM
thanks for the reply. That makes sense but I don't understand why I'm not getting 12 volts from he orange wire. Is the orange wire associated with a relay? I notice in my book relay number 302 is "trailer tow battery charge relay". I am missing this relay. Could this relay be for the orange wire?

Old 11-13-2007, 08:23 PM
If has a fuse in the passenger side kick panel, you might have blown it or not have it. It was a 20/30 amp and like 26 or 27 I think. Its labeled in the owners manual. But mine was arleady installed. Ahh that might be it. but that relay should be installed, mine and my friends both were. He has a tow pkg but I didnt.... But I hooked up mine to a trailer with brakes that we just towed and it worked and lit up correctly.

Do you have your brake hooked up? Are you getting anything from it when you push the brakes? If you are getting red then you do have the power you just havent hit the right wire in the rear.

wait wait wait, that trailer tow battery charge relay is to charge the batter in your trailer while towing it. It doesnt charge it relaly, just keeps the power running to like the fridge if you have it on battery. BUT I dont think I have that wired up either. I dont need it and dont really wanna put extra load on my elect.

But my stuff worked with the 12vt orange wire in the corner of the connectors between the 4prong and the 7 prong.

Hope that helps, if not IM me at madcat6183. Ill go look at mine again.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:29 PM
Ok sry
Yes you are correct. You are talking about hte 12vt that is going to run to the trailer to power the batter and stuff correct? Like to keep a charge and not drain any poweR?

If thats the case then yes thats because you dont have the relay. However thats only needed if you wanna use the alt. in your truck to help power the lights and batter. We just bought a brand new deep cycle and dont plan to do that so we dont have that relay installed. The brakes etc. still work fine, atleast they did whe nI hooked up lol.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:32 PM
Correct, that will need to be in place for the charge line (orange wire).
If you want to hook up the reverse light it is the brown wire with a green trace in the Ford wiring harness next to the brown with a white trace, yellow and green wires.

You might also be missing a fuse for the charge line as well.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:36 PM
Dang thanks for that heads up man. Do you know what size relay that is for the charge wire? I mean I guess it makes since that you really need that relay for trailer brakes to work, since they dont run off that batter just the brake wire.

Anwyays, I did wire up the charge line so if you know what size relay that is ited be sweet, and would like autozone know if you dont?
Thanks! I might have to hookup the backup lights now too. Wait no no I did too much taping lol.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:48 PM
NM I found it in a different post. Yes you will need that relay to change it. All my relays are ther and fuses except this one and I DID NOT have a tow pkg. And the rear lights on the tailer didnt work unless braking so Im guessing I have a wiring issue in thr trailer.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:05 PM
cool it worked! My signals seem to work and my brake controller also seems to work. So if I understand correctly, since I have no battery in my trailer and no corresponding relay the orange wire going to my black 7 pin adapter isn't doing anything now?

Old 11-14-2007, 07:40 AM
So you are all good? Glad to hear. I am gonna go get that relay this weekend after talking to my friend about the battery and we wanna be able to power the battery/fridge off the truck on the trips.

Nope its just chillin, BUT just think if you do go get a trailer with a battery

Ya TBs are much much needed.

Quick Reply: 4 pin to 7 pin - where to get 12 volts?