Towing & Hauling

Towing problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 03:28 PM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Snow plow like the Heavy Payload package = no Supercrew and lower trim levels. Not something most people want for daily driving for families.

A gear swap should only be $1000-1500 for both axles, at least that's what people on here report for their F-150's. No reason for it to be more with GM. It's a way better move than going to a different 1/2 ton, IMHO.

What size tires do you have? If they are oversized (>32") and Load D/E, they are robbing you of power as well.

That said, an F-250 with V10 and 4.30 gear will tow noticably better than any F-150 for little more upfront cost than an F-150, something like $7k savings over the PSD. Chosing to drive a 3/4 ton pickup every day is a compromise not everyone is willing to accept, though.

Old 11-29-2007, 04:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing

Seeing as I just bought the vehicle about 7 months ago and its paid for I will probably just check on the gear swap first and then move on to another truck. And I have been on RV.net and they do push the diesel,it does not matter which brand it is. My tires are a size larger which I am positive it cuts back some power, I have 285's stock size is 265 I think. But they are new and came on it when I got it. Just curious.... If I have a 3.42 rearend and it tachs 2k at 65mph towing nothing and 3k at 62mph towing my 26TT, what can I expect from a 3.73 or 4.10. I guess my question is will it be to much towing 1k mile round trip without it taching 4k rpm because it seems like its about to blow when it gets up that high. Thanks for the patience, It was my first time a few weeks ago and I am clueless of what to do

Old 11-29-2007, 04:44 PM
Your problem is that 3.42 rear end. I agree that you should do the gear swap. I think it will make a world of difference. Go for a 4.10 rather than a 3.73. Your tranny will love you for it.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:02 PM
glc
Received 774 Likes on 715 Posts
The V10 does not get that bad gas mileage (unloaded mixed driving is about 14) - and I'd bet it gets just as good, if not better, than a 5.4 towing that kind of load.

Hang on to your Chebby for now and look at the '09 F-150's when they bring out the diesel. I would NOT sweat running any modern gas V8 at a constant 4000 rpm.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by Joe28443
Seeing as I just bought the vehicle about 7 months ago and its paid for I will probably just check on the gear swap first and then move on to another truck. And I have been on RV.net and they do push the diesel,it does not matter which brand it is. My tires are a size larger which I am positive it cuts back some power, I have 285's stock size is 265 I think. But they are new and came on it when I got it. Just curious.... If I have a 3.42 rearend and it tachs 2k at 65mph towing nothing and 3k at 62mph towing my 26TT, what can I expect from a 3.73 or 4.10. I guess my question is will it be to much towing 1k mile round trip without it taching 4k rpm because it seems like its about to blow when it gets up that high. Thanks for the patience, It was my first time a few weeks ago and I am clueless of what to do
I agree with the logic that gears are your best bet for bang for the buck. However if you want to tow that trailer like there is nothing behind you, get a diesel. I dont care what brand they all pull like there is nothing behind you been there and done it. Gotta get a turbo diesel. If you like the chevy, make certian it has a duramax. The older chevy diesel is crap for power.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by Joe28443
I like my truck I just got it about 7 months ago. I was told a gear change would run close to $3k (front and rear Z71)and if that was the case I was going to look another truck. I am new to camping and bought the camper 2 months ago and like an idiot I did not hook to it prior to buying and thats why I have this problem. I had an after market HD tranny cooler installed on it and an our later after pulling my camper I was on the side of the road with a busted line going to the cooler. I do feel like I will be buying an f150 in the future with the 5.4 373 ratio towing package and I feel like that will suit me fine. Again I am not trying to out do the capacities of the truck, I just want to feel like I am going to get to my destiantion safe. Thanks alot for all the helpful info.
3 grand to regear. How many trucks?

Take a look at this website and give them a call.
http://www.ringpinion.com/

Old 11-30-2007, 02:25 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If I have a 3.42 rearend and it tachs 2k at 65mph towing nothing and 3k at 62mph towing my 26TT, what can I expect from a 3.73 or 4.10. I guess my question is will it be to much towing 1k mile round trip without it taching 4k rpm because it seems like its about to blow when it gets up that high.
If you are taching 2k @ 65 in OD, then you don't have 3.42 gears.... When I tach 2k I'm over 70 and I have 3.55 gears and only 32" tall tires! If you have 33" tall tires and are @ 2k doing 65 in OD, then you already have 4.10 gears!

65 mph in third gear (1:1) with 33" tall tires and 4.10 gears is around 2700 rpms.

Your engine will turn the same rpms for a given speed. It does not matter if you are towing or not... The difference is that you have to press the go pedal more while towing, thus the lower mpgs... But, the rpms are the same for any given speed in the same gear no matter what the load is. (assuming that the TC is locked of course... )

You need to verify your current gear set, before you commit to anything... But if your rpm/mph are correct, and they were for OD/1:1 respectively, then I think you already have 4.10 gears.. At least that's what works out the closest on the gear calculator I'm using http://www.bncoffroad.com/ratio/

Mitch

Last edited by MitchF150; 11-30-2007 at 02:29 AM.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:06 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with Mitch. The numbers are not working out right for 3.42 axle. That does work out for 4.10 gears.

If you have LT285/70R17 or LT2685/75R16, they weigh considerably more that also robs you of some power.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:21 AM
glc
Received 774 Likes on 715 Posts
Your numbers sound more like the converter is not locked.

Old 11-30-2007, 06:16 PM
?

for the amount of times you tow a year the cost of the diesel is a bad trade off imho-i'd say a new f150 with the 3.73 gears would suffice -especially with a tune by mike troyer-my van weighs ~8600lbs and several times i borrowed my sisters tt~7500 lbs-my van has troyers tow tune, ud pullies and true dual exhaust -2.25" tubing and x-pipe-3.73 gears-i make a bit over 300 ftlbs to the rear wheels and it stays there till 4300 rpms-this is a 2 valve motor as well=while i know it;'s back there-it does fine and like i said, for the amount of towing you do- a 5.4 3.73 geared f 150 would work-my $.02-phil

Old 12-07-2007, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by COLORADO_CAMPER
Hi Joe,

I just picked up my new 2008 F150 Supercab FX4 from the dealer this past Monday so I don't have any towing experience with it as yet. However, I have towed several different trailers with various vehicles over the past 10-12 years and, since it sounds like you might be kinda of a newb at towing (pardon me if that's not correct) I thought I would pass along my two cents.

Alot of people seem to expect too much from their tow vehicles. They expect to hook up to a 6-7k pound trailer and pull away from the curb without even feeling it behind them, they expect to accelerate up an on-ramp and jump right into traffic doing 60-70 miles per hour and they expect to tow at 70-80 mph on the straight and level and tackle mountain passes without even down shifting. This is not only unrealistic but it is also a dangerous expectation. Keep these things in mind when you think critically of your tow vehicle (regardless of make/model):

P.S. - good for you to think ahead and get the trailer that you will be happy with into the future. Many people waste alot of money working up to a nice sized trailer like yours.

1. Trailer tires are only speed rated to 65 mph. Towing at higher speeds may (and often does) cause tire overheat and failure.

2. Any vehicle that makes a decent daily driver is going to have a few deficiencies when you hook another 6-7k pounds behind it. It's going to feel like its working harder because it is. And it's going to get real thirsty at the pump compared to your normal fill-up.

3. There is no shame in towing at speeds that are less than the flow of traffic (within reason). If you can maintain 55 - 65 mph on the interstate and climb steep grades at 45 - 50 mph with appropriate down shift then, in my opinion, your rig is performing respectably.

If you were towing once or twice each week then I would say go with a 3/4 ton truck with a V-10 or diesel. Towing your trailer 4-5 times each year, I think any 1/2 ton with a larger V-8 and a decent tow package (3.73 rear end or better, auxilliary trans and oil cooler, Class III-IV receiver & weight distributing hitch) will serve you the best.

I chose my new F150 to tow a 19' Airstream that weighs in at about 5k pounds loaded and I think it will do a really nice job - even through the mountains of Colorado. But, I have reasonable expectations of what the truck can and can't do. I tow about as often as you do so I need my truck to be a friendly daily driver first and a reasonably good tow vehice second. In my opinion the F150 fits the bill, as do alot of other 1/2 ton trucks. But none of them look as nice, ride as nice or have quite the fit and finish of the F150 - in my opinion.
Great Advice Colorado_Camper. This was the exact same logic I used in selecting my New 2008 F150 SuperCrew Lariat. I have the 5.4, 3.73 rear end, factory tow package and the 20 inch wheels. I have a Cherokee Lite Travel Trailer (30 foot) that has a dry weigh of about 5400 lbs. Since my '08 F150 is brand new I have not towed with it yet, but I anticipate it working perfectly. I had previously towed this trailer with my 2002 F150 SuperCrew. It had the 5.4 engine (2 valve, not the newer 3 valve) and a 3.55 rear end. It was acceptable with the caveats you listed. My gas mileage was between 7 and 10 mpg depending on the terrain. I generally tried to keep my RPMs below 3000 which made a huge difference in fuel economy.

I anticipate camping about once a month so that would be less than 12% of my miles per year towing. The F150 makes the best sense. Plus it looks great and rides great as a daily commuter. My 02 got about 13.5 MPG on my 10 mile commute to work. My 08 is better getting about 14.7 on the exact same commute.

Anyway, great advice Colorado_Camper well written.

- Chris

Quick Reply: Towing problem