Towing & Hauling

Towing problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 10:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing problem

I have an 03 Chev Silverado 5.3 that will not tow my 26 TT. I know it must go so I have begun to search for the perfect TV for my needs. It weighs 5180# dry and probably between 6000-6500# tow ready I guess. WD in place and I will be towing 3-4 times a year. I have narrowed it down to an F150 and 250 PSD. I hear and have read that several are towing with the 5.4L with about what I am towing. The PSD I know will work but I am not sure about the upkeep, gas prices ect. I am looking at a Screw 5.4L but I do not want to be in the same boat as I am in now. My tow capacity now is like 8400 I think, however I think it might be also the 342 gear I have in my truck. No more than I will be towing it will the F150 5.4 Screw with the 373 tow package be enough or should I just go with the PSD and be done with it? Keep in mind 3-4 times a year. Replies from F150 owners towing about the same would be greatly appreciated as well as others. Thanks

Old 11-28-2007, 10:56 PM
I have a 2004 screw 5.4 I have towed a few times with it, probably around the 6500# mark, gas is not that great but had no problem powering up the hills.. Also have the 3.73 and towing...

Jon

Old 11-29-2007, 12:06 AM
Towing 3-4 times per year? That is not much, but how far do you pull for those times?

I was in a very similar situation as you. Had a great 2004 F150, 3.55 rear end, put Troyer tunes in it, Air Force 1 intake and it pulled my 27Ft TT just ok. Its not really the weight you need to factor, its the aerodynamics of pulling a 27ft brick box back there. Getting off the line, no problem, getting to 55, no problem, going 65, pushing it a bit and hills, well that is a diffreent story. I was also getting 5.5 mpg and that really bothered me the most. So I got the PSD and it pulled my TT like a shadow. Bad news, once you get a PSD you'll want a bigger camper. So bad news for us, we got a 31.5 5er with 2 slides. Went from 6K to 9K.

Still the PSD pulls our new rig like a champ. I am always impressed every time I hook up and motor on down the road.

but again, if you are towing 3-4 times per year, and not going far, you'll do great in the new F150's. 3.73 would be good. And rule of thumb, what ever you get MGP for daily driving, cut that by at least 50% or more for pulling that kind of weight unless you drive at 55 mph all the time.

Good luck.

Cheers

Old 11-29-2007, 01:42 AM
glc
Received 774 Likes on 715 Posts
What about a F-250 with a V10? Diesel fuel is getting very pricey and the new emissions regs and ULSD are killing fuel mileage on diesels.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:35 AM
Towing Problem

We just got back from a 800 mile round trip to the mountains of NC. Climbing the mountains was not bad because I was able to drop it back to 2nd gear. A v10 I hear gets terrible gas mileage not that the 150's are great. I just want something that will get me by I am not trying to break any speed records however I would atleast like to run close to the speed limit on interstates which I could not do with my chevy without feeling like its gonna blow. We went ahead and got the 26f because that is it, we will not get another, its alot of room for just the two of us and maybe one child later. I averages around 7mpg on that trip with my chevy.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:15 AM
Hi Joe,

I just picked up my new 2008 F150 Supercab FX4 from the dealer this past Monday so I don't have any towing experience with it as yet. However, I have towed several different trailers with various vehicles over the past 10-12 years and, since it sounds like you might be kinda of a newb at towing (pardon me if that's not correct) I thought I would pass along my two cents.

Alot of people seem to expect too much from their tow vehicles. They expect to hook up to a 6-7k pound trailer and pull away from the curb without even feeling it behind them, they expect to accelerate up an on-ramp and jump right into traffic doing 60-70 miles per hour and they expect to tow at 70-80 mph on the straight and level and tackle mountain passes without even down shifting. This is not only unrealistic but it is also a dangerous expectation. Keep these things in mind when you think critically of your tow vehicle (regardless of make/model):

P.S. - good for you to think ahead and get the trailer that you will be happy with into the future. Many people waste alot of money working up to a nice sized trailer like yours.

1. Trailer tires are only speed rated to 65 mph. Towing at higher speeds may (and often does) cause tire overheat and failure.

2. Any vehicle that makes a decent daily driver is going to have a few deficiencies when you hook another 6-7k pounds behind it. It's going to feel like its working harder because it is. And it's going to get real thirsty at the pump compared to your normal fill-up.

3. There is no shame in towing at speeds that are less than the flow of traffic (within reason). If you can maintain 55 - 65 mph on the interstate and climb steep grades at 45 - 50 mph with appropriate down shift then, in my opinion, your rig is performing respectably.

If you were towing once or twice each week then I would say go with a 3/4 ton truck with a V-10 or diesel. Towing your trailer 4-5 times each year, I think any 1/2 ton with a larger V-8 and a decent tow package (3.73 rear end or better, auxilliary trans and oil cooler, Class III-IV receiver & weight distributing hitch) will serve you the best.

I chose my new F150 to tow a 19' Airstream that weighs in at about 5k pounds loaded and I think it will do a really nice job - even through the mountains of Colorado. But, I have reasonable expectations of what the truck can and can't do. I tow about as often as you do so I need my truck to be a friendly daily driver first and a reasonably good tow vehice second. In my opinion the F150 fits the bill, as do alot of other 1/2 ton trucks. But none of them look as nice, ride as nice or have quite the fit and finish of the F150 - in my opinion.

Last edited by COLORADO_CAMPER; 11-29-2007 at 10:21 AM.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:21 AM
Originally Posted by COLORADO_CAMPER
Hi Joe,

I just picked up my new 2008 F150 Supercab FX4 from the dealer this past Monday so I don't have any towing experience with it as yet. However, I have towed several different trailers with various vehicles over the past 10-12 years and, since it sounds like you might be kinda of a newb at towing (pardon me if that's not correct) I thought I would pass along my two cents.

Alot of people seem to expect too much from their tow vehicles. They expect to hook up to a 6-7k pound trailer and pull away from the curb without even feeling it behind them, they expect to accelerate up an on-ramp and jump right into traffic doing 60-70 miles per hour and they expect to tow at 70-80 mph on the straight and level and tackle mountain passes without even down shifting. This is not only unrealistic but it is also a dangerous expectation. Keep these things in mind when you think critically of your tow vehicle (regardless of make/model):

P.S. - good for you to think ahead and get the trailer that you will be happy with into the future. Many people waste alot of money working up to a nice sized trailer like yours.

1. Trailer tires are only speed rated to 65 mph. Towing at higher speeds may (and often does) cause tire overheat and failure.

2. Any vehicle that makes a decent daily driver is going to have a few deficiencies when you hook another 6-7k pounds behind it. It's going to feel like its working harder because it is. And it's going to get real thirsty at the pump compared to your normal fill-up.

3. There is no shame in towing at speeds that are less than the flow of traffic (within reason). If you can maintain 55 - 65 mph on the interstate and climb steep grades at 45 - 50 mph with appropriate down shift then, in my opinion, your rig is performing respectably.

If you were towing once or twice each week then I would say go with a 3/4 ton truck with a V-10 or diesel. Towing your trailer 4-5 times each year, I think any 1/2 ton with a larger V-8 and a decent tow package (3.73 rear end or better, auxilliary trans and oil cooler, Class III-IV receiver & weight distributing hitch) will serve you the best.

I chose my new F150 to tow a 19' Airstream that weighs in at about 5k pounds loaded and I think it will do a really nice job - even through the mountains of Colorado. But, I have reasonable expectations of what the truck can and can't do. I town about as often as you do so I need my truck to be a friendly daily driver first and a reasonably good tow vehice second. In my opinion the F150 fits the bill, as do alot of other 1/2 ton trucks. But none of them look as nice, ride as nice or have quite the fit and finish of the F150 - in my opinion.
To the OP, the above is prob the BEST advice and answer you are going to get around here.

Trending Topics

Old 11-29-2007, 11:43 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I agree, Nice post Colorado Camper! Pretty much says how it is with towing a 5-6k brick with an F150!

Mitch

Old 11-29-2007, 12:44 PM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That 5.3L likes to sing. If you don't want a new truck (yet), spend $500-1500 for 4.10 or 4.30-ish gears. That'll tow better than any Stock Screw.

Old 11-29-2007, 01:05 PM
Towing

I like my truck I just got it about 7 months ago. I was told a gear change would run close to $3k (front and rear Z71)and if that was the case I was going to look another truck. I am new to camping and bought the camper 2 months ago and like an idiot I did not hook to it prior to buying and thats why I have this problem. I had an after market HD tranny cooler installed on it and an our later after pulling my camper I was on the side of the road with a busted line going to the cooler. I do feel like I will be buying an f150 in the future with the 5.4 373 ratio towing package and I feel like that will suit me fine. Again I am not trying to out do the capacities of the truck, I just want to feel like I am going to get to my destiantion safe. Thanks alot for all the helpful info.

Old 11-29-2007, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by Joe28443
I like my truck I just got it about 7 months ago. I was told a gear change would run close to $3k (front and rear Z71)and if that was the case I was going to look another truck. I am new to camping and bought the camper 2 months ago and like an idiot I did not hook to it prior to buying and thats why I have this problem. I had an after market HD tranny cooler installed on it and an our later after pulling my camper I was on the side of the road with a busted line going to the cooler. I do feel like I will be buying an f150 in the future with the 5.4 373 ratio towing package and I feel like that will suit me fine. Again I am not trying to out do the capacities of the truck, I just want to feel like I am going to get to my destiantion safe. Thanks alot for all the helpful info.
We bought our first camper thinking we would use it 3-4 time per year, turns out, we loved it so much we use it 1-2 timer per month. So with a baby on the way, we traded for the 5er with 2 slides. Still use the camper 1-2 times per month. Good family times.

I suspect if you are like us, you'll camp more than you think. At least once a month maybe 1 every 2 months.

Check out RV.net, but becarefull over there. There are lots of opinions and often there are some real grumpy people which I don't understand but over all its another great resource for info on towing and TV. Lots of brand bashing so be ready for it.

Cheers

Old 11-29-2007, 02:15 PM
If you can swing the PSD, it will make for a much more pleasant tow experience.

Trucks are like stereos - more power makes a better experience. While the 150 can handle the trailer, there are lots of situations that it can get unpleasant. I'd also load the trailer ready for a trip and scale it. Just a guess, but it's probably ending up closer to 7,500# if you are like most campers.

The PSD will likely get the same mpg pulling the trailer as the 150 does empty. Depending how many miles you drive per year, that can be huge... even with diesel being more expensive (right now).

Old 11-29-2007, 02:29 PM
Joe,

If you do decide to get an F150 you might consider a couple of options:

-Look into the snow plow prep package which is the only way I know to factory order a 4.10 rear end

-Consider the FX4 package which has a little beefier shocks and also gives you the limited slip differential as standard (at least in a 3.73 - not sure if LS is an option on a 4.10)

-Do get the 5.4L V-8

-Do get the towing package

-I would recommend the 18" wheels over the optional 20" because your end ratio is better for towing

-I would recommend a 6.5' bed with either the supercab or the supercrew (I think the 6.5 is now available on the supercrew for 2008). This will give you a longer wheelbase which will make your whole rig more stabile and it would be a better ratio of truck vs. trailer with your 26 footer

Just some things to consider.

Remember, getting there is half the fun so don't get in a hurry and make things stressful for you and your family (especially don't get in a hurry when your hitching up and forget to latch the ball down - been there done that - not fun). Getting there safe is more about you then your truck.

Last edited by COLORADO_CAMPER; 11-29-2007 at 02:31 PM.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:38 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
RV.NET...... ha, ha!! If you post there and say you are trying to tow a #6500 TT with a 3.42 geared "1/2 ton" with 'only' a 5.3l engine, you'll be scalded and accused of endangering every living thing on earth!! People will ask you for your intended time and route schedule so they know to stay off the road, etc... It's 1 ton diesels or you are an idiot over there!! ha, ha!!

No really, it's a very decent place to get specific RV related experiences and advice, you just have to filter all that info and NOT take about 80% of the 'advice' as 'gospel'...

IMO, and only MO, I think you won't really see any 'night and day' difference if you get a 3.73 geared F150... Sure, the '04-'08 F150's have the nice 3v engine and all, but it's power band is now higher in the rpm range too... So, even with 3.73 gears, you will still need to be in second gear to pull a 5% grade at 45-55 mph with that load I'm sure...

My setup is totally different, weight wise, but it really all boils down to your expectations while towing like Colorado Camper said... I'm in second gear on the grades going 50-55 mph and only using 1/2 throttle... Put it to the floor, and I'll pick up speed, but no reason to be the first one up the hill anyway! Flat hwy, I like around 62 mph in third gear. Right around 2500 rpms and it just goes and goes and gets 10 mpg on average. This is with 179,000 miles on it too!

Back in the '70's when I was a kid and our family had a 26' TT and towed it all over the West Coast with a 1971 F250 with a 390, C6 and 4.10 gears, 5% grades had 'ol Dad in first gear and us going 25 mph at times! Flat hwy speeds were 55-60 and he got a solid 9 mpg... The funny thing is the truck got 9 mpg not towing as well!!

If it was me, I'd get some more quotes on a gear swap for your Cheby and go for the one that comes in around $1500.... Get some 4.10's and you will notice a difference I'm sure! It still won't pull like a 3.73 geared diesel, but you'll do fine for the 3-4 times a year of towing...

Mitch

Old 11-29-2007, 02:46 PM
Just double-checked the availability of the snow plow prep package and it looks like that is only available on the XL trim level. Makes for a less expensive vehicle overall, but maybe a little more bare bones than what you would be looking for. Just FYI.

Quick Reply: Towing problem