Towing & Hauling

Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 12:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help!!!

I am need of a way to tow a F-150 4x4 extra cab with 35x 12.5 inch tires on it back to area from western VA, to my home about 350 miles over a few mountains, my motor went down on me and I need to get it back here for repair. I tried a flat bed car trailer(towed) but truck is too wide and weighed too much(tongue weight) for the tow vehicle. If any one knows of a place to rent one or knows someone with a trailer or possibly a flat bed car carrier I would appreciate the contact information. I tired U_hauls and most rental places I could think of and there Car Dolleys are too small

Old 12-02-2007, 06:48 PM
To be wide enough you will need a High-boy trailer. This means the deck is above the tires (no fenders). Most high-boy trailers are goose-neck style and come in tandem axle either single wheel or duals.

I'm not aware of anyone that rents this style trailer; at least not locally.

An alternative might be to mount a set of factory tires/wheels on the front so you can use a tow dolly. If you are still to wide for the tow dolly you could mount 4 factory size tires and wheels and should be able to fit on any car hauler trailer.

Instead of purchasing new wheels and tires check in your local classifieds or go onto craigslist. A last resort might be to contact your local tire shops. they might have some take-offs when somebody upgraded that should be pretty cheap.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:57 PM
I'd try an equipment rental place.

Old 12-02-2007, 07:30 PM
Do you still have the stock wheels and tires?

Old 12-04-2007, 06:21 PM
if not I have a set.... cheap too... just kinda far away. I think Colorado osprey has the best idea on this one (which seems to be a pretty common occurence )