Towing & Hauling

2200 mi round trip

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 02:29 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
It's not just the trailer tires that don't like high speeds - the wheel bearings heat up too.

Old 12-14-2007, 02:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BuckEye and GLC are correct. Inflate your trailer tires to max psi cold. You should make a habit of checking for wheel bearing heat every time you stop for fuel, bathroom break, etc... You can do this by feel if you have access to the axle hub - if it's too hot to touch or if one is hotter than the others you've got a bearing going out.

Old 12-19-2007, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by robertmII
Well I'm leaving on a long trip in a couple days. Going to be pulling a 24ft enclosed. I am figuring right around 7.5k total for the trailer and 600lbs including gear and passengers in the truck. Going from Dallas to Savannah and back. The plan is to keep it in 3rd and try to keep it at 60 to improve fuel economy. Towing at 70 was absolutely dismal last time in 3rd. I'm shooting for 8.5-9 mpg but that may be optimistic. Hopefully gas will not go up in the next week.

So, hoping for an uneventful tow. Trailer, tires, spare are all new. Towing software is installed on the truck, tranny temp gauge installed, air filter cleaned and oil recently changed. Wish me luck. I'll report back with mpg etc next week.

Nice, I want to get a trailer like that to pull my Mustang

Old 12-20-2007, 08:40 AM
Originally Posted by JWell
Nice, I want to get a trailer like that to pull my Mustang

I got it wholesale from Team Spirit through a dealer up in Indiana. I got it for $300 over cost. Give me your email and I'll send ya the details if your interested. Its a very well made trailer. 16OC all around, alum roof, well balanced etc.

Old 12-21-2007, 12:29 AM
Originally Posted by glc
It's not just the trailer tires that don't like high speeds - the wheel bearings heat up too.
Dam, you learn something everyday around here!!

I constantly cruise at 80mph with my 7x14 enclosed Royal Cargo trailer. It be loaded with at least 2 racebikes, and sometimes 4 racebikes.

I keep it in a straight line, and go with the flow of traffic, which most of the time is doing 80+mph. I got trailer tires all around, and the trailer has electric brakes.

I really didn't think over 65mph would be hazardous for trailers. Most of the time in hill country, I get a good drive going down the hills to come up the hills with ease. Those drives easily exceed 65 mph..

However, I am going to really looked into this 65mph limit on trailers, and if need be adjust my driving.

Old 12-21-2007, 10:18 AM
I tow at >72 mph in my F-250. I towed way too fast in my F-150...

Quick Reply: 2200 mi round trip