Towing & Hauling

Question about trailer tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 05:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
100 and 150 miles......wow

Keep in mind that trailer tires have load ranges and can be overloaded as well. You can get 14 & 15" trailer tires with load range up to "D" while you can also buy a load range "A or B" in those sizes as well.

Old 12-31-2007, 01:14 AM
Originally Posted by rkd
I have always had used car tires on my trailer. Worst trouble I had was them always needing air.
Its been warm here.

I looked at the other two trailers I have (16 ft Texas Bragg Utility and 5x10 W&W enclosed) which were both bought new and they did not have ST tires on them. They both have car tires from the factory.

Old 12-31-2007, 09:55 AM
As a trailer dealer and repair facility we get calls daily from manufacturers wanting us to carry their products....trailers included.

We have a checklist that we require of new trailer manufacturers to follow for us to carry or have available to customer special order. On that list is hung-supported enclosed wiring, either in conduit or insulated multi-strand cable. You would be surprised how many companies just staple the wiring to the underside of the floor....or tuck it along an inside wall on an enclosed trailer. Another requirement is using solder joints, scotch locks or butt-connectors in the wiring, no wire nuts. Floor support spacing no more than 24" apart. Trailer Tires. We also require all DOT safety requirements. The list goes on.

Sounds kinda basic huh?
You would be surprised how many manufacturers try and cheap out beacuse most consumers are price shopping and it is a way to sell a less expensive trailer.... using non-trailer tires is an easy way to save manufacturing costs.

In the earily 1990's I used to manage a tire shop and belive it or not soome new Chevy 1-ton dually's were coming with load range "B" tires! Technically with 4 tires in the back they would support the published GAWR load, but this was not smart and done before the Ford with Firestone tire fiasco happened. I guess smarter heads prevailed and I have never seen a new 1-ton with anything less than load range "D" tires since.

My point is every manufacturer tries to shave production costs to increase profit...sometimes it is the dealer who is doing the shaving...just because something came from "the factory" or dealer new a certain way doesn't mean it was done right.

Quick Reply: Question about trailer tires