Towing & Hauling

Question about trailer tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 10:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about trailer tires

In the 2200 mile thread someone mentioned "trailer tires". Also said they are rated to take 65 lbs of air.

I am using car tires on my trailer. They do not take 65 lbs of air. Its more like 35 to 40 lbs. (Its too cold to go check right now but I know it is not close to 65 lbs.) It came with car tires on it. I just bought new ones. Am I supposed to be using a special tire? My boys use my trailer a lot more than I do and I keep it in excellent shape for that reason. I do not want to put them or their equipment at risk. Not at any time did the tire shop suggest a "trailer tire".

Can someone give me a primer on this? Or tell me where to look for the info?

Thanks
Steve

Old 12-15-2007, 01:37 PM
glc
Received 770 Likes on 711 Posts
Car tires are NOT recommended, but if you do use them, read the max load rating on the sidewall and reduce your trailer load accordingly. Car tires in the same size as trailer tires have a considerably lower load rating.

Old 12-15-2007, 02:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In many cases you can not even go by the sidewall in regards to P-series tires. When used on a truck, the tires are considered to have a reduced load carrying ability. The actual load at max pressure is reduced by a couple hundred pounds.

Some info.

http://www.trailertires.com/

Old 12-15-2007, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by fs_ar
In the 2200 mile thread someone mentioned "trailer tires". Also said they are rated to take 65 lbs of air.

I am using car tires on my trailer. They do not take 65 lbs of air. Its more like 35 to 40 lbs. (Its too cold to go check right now but I know it is not close to 65 lbs.) It came with car tires on it. I just bought new ones. Am I supposed to be using a special tire? My boys use my trailer a lot more than I do and I keep it in excellent shape for that reason. I do not want to put them or their equipment at risk. Not at any time did the tire shop suggest a "trailer tire".

Can someone give me a primer on this? Or tell me where to look for the info?

Thanks
Steve
Yo Steve, I got hipped to trailer tires when one of my tires on my 7x14 enclosed trailer went flat. I went to the dealer and asked for a tire of the same size. Had it mounted, and noticed it was being flatten compared to the other tires.Come to find out, I had a car tire on there. Sure it would work, but they can't carry the load or air of trailer tires. I got it snatched off, and put on a trailer tire. I used the car tire as a spare.

The car tires will only take about 35 lbs of air, opposed to around 50 lbs of air for the trailer tires. To make a long story short, take the car tire off and get a trailer tire.

Old 12-15-2007, 11:18 PM
There are many differences between trailer and passenger tires.
Most have mentioned load capacity but that is just the beginning.
Construction materials and design as well as tread compound are all differrent.

Think of it this way:
Car tires are designed to grip for turning and breaking as well as for the sidewall to roll to keep the best contact patch of tread in contact with the road. Trailer tires are designed to scuff when turning, not grip and to maintain it's upright shape to keep the load level and controlled as well the tires are designed to want to roll only straight and not turn.

EDIT:
Truck rated LT tires have a stronger load carrying capacity but the same type of construction with sidewall flex and gripping type tread material and tread design are still used. Will they work? Yes, but there is a tire specificly designed for trailers for a reason.

Last edited by Colorado Osprey; 12-16-2007 at 08:42 AM.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:56 AM
What about using LT tires on a trailer? I noticed the other day that my boss has LT tires on his flatbed trailer... Load range E.

Old 12-16-2007, 07:05 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaairman
What about using LT tires on a trailer? I noticed the other day that my boss has LT tires on his flatbed trailer... Load range E.
Same issue as the P series. Sidewalls are not as strong as a trailer tire. That like I posted gives the differences.

Old 12-16-2007, 12:15 PM
Just speaking for myself, there is a saying that goes like this "a hint to the wise is sufficient". I made the mistake one time of putting a non-trailer tire on my trailer, and that was because I didn't know any better. I got away with it. After I found out what the deal was, I quickly got that car tire swapped out for a real trailer tire.

IMO, it would be penny-wise and dollar-foolish to use non-trailer tires on a trailer.

I got a car tire as a spare, and that is going to be swapped out quickly too.

Just the opinons of an old geezer..

Old 12-16-2007, 02:38 PM
Originally Posted by cehowardf150

IMO, it would be penny-wise and dollar-foolish to use non-trailer tires on a trailer.

Just the opinons of an old geezer..
Well I would not say I saved any money buying these tires. They are Firestone Indys at about $90 each mounted and balanced. And there is four on the trailer.

I guess this old geezer learned something new today. I am not going to jerk these off, but will make sure the next ones are trailer tires.

Thanks for the info guys!

Old 12-16-2007, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by fs_ar
Well I would not say I saved any money buying these tires. They are Firestone Indys at about $90 each mounted and balanced. And there is four on the trailer.

I guess this old geezer learned something new today. I am not going to jerk these off, but will make sure the next ones are trailer tires.

Thanks for the info guys!
The car tire I got was a Firestone too, and it cost me $56 mounted, I didn't ask for and they didn't balance the trailer tire. Didn't know they did that.

Anyway, just keep an eye on those tires under a heavy load. What got me suspicious was, they looked like they were going flat compared to my other tires. That is when I noitced the PSI was higher on the trailer tire.

I think they got you a little bit with that balance bit. My tires have never been balanced on my trailer, and I have hit unmentional speeds with a fully loaded trailer, and the ride was super smooth.

But, then again, I am just a senile old geezer!!

Luck to ya,

Old 12-16-2007, 06:51 PM
Another benefit of the trailer tires' stiffer sidewall is that it's supposed to reduce the wig-wagging of the trailer. Supposed to reduce the amount that the wheel can move axially, in-n-out sideways motion.

IIRC, the designation is 'ST'. The link 'kingfish' gave explains a good deal, here is another link explaining expected lifespans, speed limit ratings, etc. : http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/inf...rTireFacts.dos

Old 12-17-2007, 01:55 AM
glc
Received 770 Likes on 711 Posts
Any tire on a trailer is going to dry rot or blow before it wears out, whether it's P, LT, or trailer duty.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:39 AM
Originally Posted by glc
Any tire on a trailer is going to dry rot or blow before it wears out, whether it's P, LT, or trailer duty.
glc if that is true, are you willing to buy trailer tires for all of us when they wear out?
At my trailer repair shop we replace our 53' wedge deck trailer tires every year because they are bald from scuffing. It is a tripple axle trailer and this is expected with the tens of thousands of miles we haul it each year. Replacement cost for all is only about $700-800.

I agree that for the most part customers trailer tires are dry rotted long before they wear out. That or they get a tire failure from hitting a curb or something. I do replace more axles that get bent from curbs than tires.

Old 12-17-2007, 06:08 PM
Information as found at http://www.championtrailers.com/tire_art.html :

"Trailer Tire requirements differ greatly from automotive tires. Automotive tires must maintain traction during all driving conditions: pulling, stopping, turning, or swerving. Because of this they must have more flexible sidewalls to maintain tread to road contact. Since trailers have no driving torque applied to their axles, the only time trailer tires must have traction is during the application of trailer brakes.

Trailers with heavy loads, high vertical sideloads (like camper trailers), or trailers with inadequate tongue weight can be affected by trailer sway problems. Automotive bias or radial tires with their more flexible sidewalls can accentuate trailer sway problems, whereas the stiffer sidewalls of the ST (special trailer) bias ply tires help to control and reduce sway problems. For this reason it is not recommended that (P) Passenger or (LT) Light Truck tires be used on trailers. Best trailer control will be achieved with (ST) Special Trailer tires."

Old 12-29-2007, 12:32 PM
rkd
Interesting info here.

I have always had used car tires on my trailer. Worst trouble I had was them allways needing air.

One time I bought used Carlisle trailer tires for it, thinking I would get better service.

One lasted 100 miles, and the other went 150 miles, and both blew out spectactularly!

Went to plain old Walmart el cheapo car tires, but at least new ones.

These have worked just fine, and I seem to be within the load ratings.

Hauled my tractor 1200 miles from NH to SC on them.

Maybe I will consider going to try trailer tires again.

Quick Reply: Question about trailer tires