Towing & Hauling

Tow Rope Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 08:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tow Rope Question

I just bought this tow rope and wanted to know if anybody else has used it...is it a good tow rope or is there a better one?

I don't off-road and bought it because my son has a Chevy '98 S-10 2-wheel drive and want to be able to recue him if he gets stuck in the snow.

Just needed to know before I open the package so I can return it if its no good. Got it at PepBoys.

Thanks,

Old 01-04-2008, 09:15 PM
They work great. I have used mine for almost 15 years now.

When pulling someone out, let them attach it to their vehicle. If you pull off they bumper etc., it is their problem because they attached it, not yours.

In fact I tell them to attach it with the warning that if something breaks off their vehicle it is their fault, not yours.

To attach it to your truck it easily will attach to tow hooks or slip over a hitch ball.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:25 PM
Thanks,

Is 20' long enough?

Old 01-04-2008, 09:32 PM
Thumbs up

they work real good they dont slam your truck *** much as a chain 20 ft should be long anuff, you could always buy 1 more just in case

Old 01-04-2008, 10:11 PM
Thanks Chris.

Old 01-07-2008, 12:10 PM
slip over a hitch ball
Ummm this is not a good idea.. Take the receiver hitch out, feed the strap into the receiver housing and hold it with the hitch pin. This is preferred method if you do not have receiver that is specific for recovery, ie. one with a hook, "D" ring or clevis.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Voodoochild
Ummm this is not a good idea.. Take the receiver hitch out, feed the strap into the receiver housing and hold it with the hitch pin. This is preferred method if you do not have receiver that is specific for recovery, ie. one with a hook, "D" ring or clevis.
I always did it over the ball and never had a prob. But I do see how this is a better/safer way Thanks for the tip

Trending Topics

Old 01-10-2008, 09:48 PM
Those straps are great. I lived for 46 years in central Idaho, where snow is the norm. I have pulled many folks out with them, and I had myself pulled out by my straps, one time when I was an Idiot! They are good because they don't yank like cable or chain.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:47 PM
Dont put the strap over the hitch ball for one and two dont put the strap in the reciever and put the pin through, the pin isnt designed to hold up to this stress, dumb idea!

Old 01-11-2008, 09:26 PM
dont put the strap in the reciever and put the pin through, the pin isnt designed to hold up to this stress, dumb idea!
sorry rrch129 but you are wrong on this one. How is the pin not designed to hold up to the stress.... if that is case then I guess I need to stop towing trailers with mine. I recall a post that you pulled in the 6200 pound street gas class at a local fair. http://youtube.com/watch?v=gQNkHfd7Uo8
I assume that your pin held up to the stress. The pin will not have a problem with the stress of vehicle recovery or they would fail while using something like this. http://www.etrailer.com/pc-OR~SW2546.htm Which this and devices like this are in use daily by military and off road enthusiasts the world over.

Now I agree with you 100% with the "never use the ball as a tow point". But its mainly because its designed for towing trailers, not recovery and way too easy for things to go really bad. If you have ever seen a strap slip off of one and get shot back at the stuck vehicle you would never even think about using it. Its not worth the risk when all you have to do is remove the hitch and hook it with the pin. I have been active in off road clubs for over 30 years and had many hours of vehicle recovery training in the military. For most vehicles with class III receivers, the receiver is a fairly sound recovery point for self recovery or recovery of vehicles of equal or less weight. It is possible to stress anything to the point of failure, but unless you are trying to recover a D9 dozer, the pin in your receiver will be just fine.

And my original statement still stands.

"This is preferred method if you do not have a receiver that is specific for recovery, ie. one with a hook, "D" ring or clevis." **see above link**

Last edited by Voodoochild; 02-24-2008 at 11:28 AM.
Old 01-12-2008, 04:08 AM
Recovery straps are always nice. The strap you have should be fine for occasional use pulling out a medium sized car/small pickup. I wouldn't use it as my only means of recovery in an off-road situation, but for your intended use it ought to be useful for many years.

My Dad brought home a 40' tow strap that they used at his work towing stuck tractor/trailers and 966 Cat front end loaders out of the slop... it has one uber small tear in it, and had to be replaced. I figure a 5" thick tow strap (even with a 1/4" tear) is still enough for my F150.

Old 01-27-2008, 05:10 PM
The rop you have looks weak. But other than than they are great. I have a 30K capacity tow strap. Its about 4" wide.... Got her at the local farm store for $45. I tow all kinds of crap with it. Pull a 20' straight truck out of the snow last months.

If you are really stick and need momentum to get the person out, anything les than 10-15K capacity is bound to break. Breaking can also be dangerous.

Quick Reply: Tow Rope Question