Towing & Hauling

Popup truck camper for F-150

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 01:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Popup truck camper for F-150

Hi all, I am new to the site and hope to get som answers from all you experts.

I have a 2003 Lariat F-150, crew cab, shortbed (6.5 feet). I am looking for a slidein popup camper that I can take a bit off road. It also needs to be winterized as I like to winter camp.

I have been looking at Hallmarks "Guanella" and Outfitters "Caribou". Although they are 8 feet in length, they are both designed for 1/2 ton pickups/shortbed. Anyone have any comments? They both weigh about 1400 lbs (loaded).

Cheers,

Old 01-06-2008, 03:06 PM
Most camper and trailer manufacturers quess the weight of their products. If you actually haved that slide in weighed it would probably be in excess of 1400#'s empty. Add supplies, water, fuel, food, clothing, cooking stuff and you are easily at 2000#'s. The truck will feel sluggish and top heavy.

If it is something you feel you must do install rear air bags to handle the load when the camper is in place.

I recommend if you want to have a slide in camper a 1-ton dually is the ideal platform.

Another thought might be to get a pop-up camper trailer instead. Your truck will respond almost like the load isn't even there at 2000#'s and you won't need to break camp to run to town for supplies.

Last edited by Colorado Osprey; 01-06-2008 at 03:27 PM.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by mtnmia
Hi all, I am new to the site and hope to get som answers from all you experts.

I have a 2003 Lariat F-150, crew cab, shortbed (6.5 feet). I am looking for a slidein popup camper that I can take a bit off road. It also needs to be winterized as I like to winter camp.

I have been looking at Hallmarks "Guanella" and Outfitters "Caribou". Although they are 8 feet in length, they are both designed for 1/2 ton pickups/shortbed. Anyone have any comments? They both weigh about 1400 lbs (loaded).

Cheers,
I agree with everything that Colorado Osprey said, and by the way, your bed is only 5.5 feet with the crew cab (supercrew as Ford calls it).

Old 01-06-2008, 03:41 PM
thanx, I was planning to install airbags.

By the way, I guess it is a king cab 'cause the bed really is 6.5.

I do not like the tow behind type, they don't work with my lifestyle, as I need a more mobile unit. And it must be a 4-season style. Hmmm....

I need to look into the actual loaded weights of those two. I guess I will be close to 2000 lbs packaged weight. Now I should be able to do that with airbags, right???

Cheers from a gal in Colorado

Old 01-06-2008, 04:38 PM
Originally Posted by mtnmia
I need to look into the actual loaded weights of those two. I guess I will be close to 2000 lbs packaged weight. Now I should be able to do that with airbags, right???
It will work....you will want to load light even with air bags....maybe even weight until you are near your destination to fill up with water, food and propane.

Quick Reply: Popup truck camper for F-150