Towing & Hauling

07' F-150 FX2 SCab trailer tow harness question...

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 04:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07' F-150 FX2 SCab trailer tow harness question...

Hi,
I am new to owning a Ford and my nearly new 07' F-150 FX2 Scab does not have a factory hitch installed on it yet. I looked under the bumper and there is a factory 4-pin connector bolted under the bumper on the left side directly below the left license lamp. I have ordered a factory Ford hitch package for my truck, but I am not sure if it will come with the harness for 7-way connection or not. The delaership parts guy said he though it would have everything in the kit. Regardless, I need to be able to have a 7-pin connector back there to hook my little rv up to and be able to use my electric trailer brakes. The owners manual was not very clear on hooking electric brakes up. Is there a plug in or something under the dash to plug directly into for the brake controller? What about at the rear since it already has 4-way installed? I really appreciate everyone's replies(hopefully) and I am glad to have found this forum as it has been very helpful for a new owner. I had previously owned GM trucks and a couple of Dodges and this is totally new to me. Thanks again,LB

Old 01-07-2008, 08:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by geeper
.....The owners manual was not very clear on hooking electric brakes up. Is there a plug in or something under the dash to plug directly into for the brake controller? What about at the rear since it already has 4-way installed?......
You will get everything with the factory tow package kit. It will include a new harness for the rear. Your current plug will un-plug from the truck harness and the 7-way plug will plug right in.

It will aslo include a trailer brake controller harness that will need to be attached to a brake controller. The reason it is vague is because all brake controlles are a little different and you need to follow the brake controllers wiring instructions as to how it needs to be wired. It will plug into the truck under the dash, directly above and behind the OBDII diagnostic port.

The kit will also include the needed fuses and relays if they were not already factory installed for that year.

It sounds worse than it is. Except for wiring in the brake controller, everything else just bolts or plugs in.

Quick Reply: 07' F-150 FX2 SCab trailer tow harness question...