Towing & Hauling

Newbe Here

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 03:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbe Here

Hey guys Just joined today so bare with me. I have an 03 screw 5.4 with factory suspension. i currently tow a 2K (dry) tandem axle enclosed trailer for motorcycles and such. with 2 motorcycles and gear about 6K total. i am looking at getting AAL or something equivilant to help raise up the back of my truck when towing. i have heard of Roadmaster Active Suspension and though of going for it because of its ease of installation. what would you guys recommend for this situation?

Old 01-07-2008, 06:27 PM
6k puts almost 1200#'s of tongue weight...wow...a bit much for a stock 150 without WD bars.
Most of the installed hitches, ball mounts etc. are only rated at either 500-1000#'s max. of tongue weight. The weight rating will be stamped into the top of the ball and into the ball mount. Max tow weights are also stamped there...most less expensive ones are only rated at 5-6000#'s....but available up to 14,000lbs.

I would start with a set of 10k WD (weight distribution) bars and a matching ball/ball mount; then install a set of air bags (Firestone or AirRide). After installing those items you will still feel the load pulling on the vehicle when stopping and going but the load feeling will be gone.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:28 PM
I would also suggest a weight distribution hitch. You are over your tow rating for your receiver. A WD hitch will smooth out the ride and improve your towing experience. It will also bring you back within receiver rating. If you are interested, I have a 10,000# hitch with 1000# bars that is slightly used. It is in new condition and it is for sale. New ones are about $400. I will sell this one for $250+ shipping. I have pictures if your interested. I also have an external sway control that I will send with it. All brackets and hardware are included.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:23 PM
Originally Posted by Colorado Osprey
6k puts almost 1200#'s of tongue weight...wow...a bit much for a stock 150 without WD bars.
Most of the installed hitches, ball mounts etc. are only rated at either 500-1000#'s max. of tongue weight. The weight rating will be stamped into the top of the ball and into the ball mount. Max tow weights are also stamped there...most less expensive ones are only rated at 5-6000#'s....but available up to 14,000lbs.

I would start with a set of 10k WD (weight distribution) bars and a matching ball/ball mount; then install a set of air bags (Firestone or AirRide). After installing those items you will still feel the load pulling on the vehicle when stopping and going but the load feeling will be gone.

as of right now, i have a Rapid Hitch rated at 1500#s toungue weight and max trailer weight @ 10, 000#s. i though that air bags were a pain in the a$$ to install, unless you have them installed by a professional, and are quite expensive and maintance...this is what i have heard from dealers in the area... wether this is true or not, i dont know.

Last edited by 03BLKSCREW; 01-07-2008 at 10:55 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:48 AM
I install 2-3 sets of air bags a week. Installation is just a tad more difficult than installing shocks. (1 hour max) The major difference is running the air lines....usually a little creativity is involved. If you get an on-board compressor, plan on a few hours for the install to run the lines and mount the compressor and such.
Maintenance...none
I usually mount the air valve next to the license plate for easy axcess for adjustment. Keep a minimum of 10psi in the bags at all times to keep them from getting any holes. I hear people complain that they will leak; but they are made the same way that GM and Ford has been using since the late '80's on their factory air suspensions where there is no real spring....and relies only on the air bag. We use them as a spring assist and if they fail you still have the factory suspension to rely on.

I don't like coil-over or air shocks....too much stress on shock mounts that were never designeed for it.

The Roadmaster Active Suspension, or equivalent systems seem to me to prevent axle wrap, but seem to be more of a gimmick than a true load handling set-up. I have never installed or been asked to install or get one for a customer.

Most major cities will have a suspension or spring shop. You could always get a different spring pack to handle the additional weight as well... but your unloaded ride will suffer a little more harshness.

The most difficult task in installing air bags is trying to mount them when there is already a 5th wheel or goose neck hitch installed and it is in your mouynting location. Most of the newer hitches make room for air bags so install is a piece of cake.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:37 AM
Originally Posted by 03BLKSCREW
as of right now, i have a Rapid Hitch rated at 1500#s toungue weight and max trailer weight @ 10, 000#s. i though that air bags were a pain in the a$$ to install, unless you have them installed by a professional, and are quite expensive and maintance...this is what i have heard from dealers in the area... wether this is true or not, i dont know.
Your rapid hitch is just the head that slides into your truck. The receiver is the part of the truck that head slides into. It is only rated to 600#'s tounge weight and 9000# max trailer weight. When you add a WD hitch it jumps your TW capacity to 1000#. The WD hitch sends some of that tounge weight to your front axle and the trailer axles. It will level out your truck when hooked up. It will not affect your unloaded ride because it won't be there. I tow the trailer in my gallery. The tounge weight is 1200#+ and the loaded weight is 8500#. My issue was the 33'-11" length. I upgraded my hitch... (the one that I have for sale) to an Equal-i-zer with built in sway control. It performs flawlessly and I don't have air bags or helper anything on the truck. I also went up one size to a 12,000/1200 hitch. It is easy to install and your towing ride will be great. The air bags are great. They are not too difficult to install. If you do your lines correctly, they will not leak for quite some time. They will eventually leak leak at the fittings though. I wold suggest if you do the air bags, also do the onboard compressor. It will come in handy when trying to level your truck with no air compressor available. Either way you go, your looking at about $400 or better for the bags and compressor or about $250 for just the bags. Then you got to install them.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:57 AM
Where about does the compressor mount?? where could i buy the whole package?? i want to get a good deal

Old 01-08-2008, 09:13 AM
I have seen compressors mounted to the fender well under the hood. I have also seen them mounted under the truck on the frame rail. I would suggest getting a large enough compressor to run an aux tank for airing tires also. There will also be a gauge that mounts inside the truck that you will be able to adjust on the fly. This is also where the switch would be. Search around... you can almost always find a better price.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:30 AM
Thanks guys 4 all of your help

Old 01-08-2008, 10:20 AM
Sounds like you already have some good help. I towed a 8x18 enclosed cargo trailer with my 2002 xcab. I used a WD hitch, rated at 10,000 lbs and hellwig add a leafs. worked great! the only thing is the add a leafs make the rear suspension a little stiff unloaded. great for if you haul stuff in the bed or tow a lot. I like them and have left them on and become used to them giving me a firm ride.

Quick Reply: Newbe Here