Towing & Hauling

Gas or Electric

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 03:00 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Gas or Electric

What do you guys use to power the fridge in your trailer?? Mine automatically searches for electric (primary source) but runs off gas if it's not available.

BUT...it may be my imagination, but I swear the fridge cools better off gas. Or could it be the switching back and fourth causes it to not cool so good at time. Just curious??

Old 01-10-2008, 03:39 PM
I've been using gas 100% of the time for the last year or so...

Even when I have a 30amp hookup, I leave my fridge on gas.

It does cool faster from what I've been able to tell as well and keeps the fridge cooler during hot summer days as well.

FYI, if you want to read on...

What got me doing this was my Dometic fridge has a recall on it from the manufacture. The recall is for a 'rare' situation where the ELECTRIC element that's installed can cause a pipe to fatigue and crack, thus spilling the stuff out. IF you happen to have the GAS going at the same time this stuff spills out, it could catch fire....

Ok, fine... I better get the recall done, right??.. Now, you'd think they would put in a new electric element of a lower wattage to prevent this from happening in the first place..... BUT, that would be incorrect!! The recall only puts additional sheet metal around the affected area, so that when it eventually cracks from the OVER wattage element, the contents are directed away from the flame.....

Whatever to that! I want the cause fixed... Not some 'redneck' patch job that only redirects the stuff!

I also got this info first hand from the RV shop that is authorized to do the recall...

What I have read on RV.net about the fix is that it affects the GAS portion of the system once it's done! People have been reporting that their fridge does not cool down as well as before.. On electric or gas!

So, my solution is to run it on gas the way it is and if I feel like it, I might try to find a lower watt element, but I don't think I'll be happy with the results of that! I like my BEER ice cold and my fridge on GAS does that!!

Mitch

Old 01-10-2008, 06:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gas definitely cools faster. I think it takes about an hour to have the temps where they need to be. However once we are hooked up I always switch to electric. Same goes for my water heater also. I use gas at first then switch over to electric after it gets hot. just my opinion

Old 01-10-2008, 09:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I always use gas. Because I never camp where there are hookups. I guess I could go electric, if I used my generators, but in a way, it would still be gas. Oh well, I camped all summer every weekend, and I didn't fill my propane tanks yet. And we are headed to Death Valley in two weeks, I guess I will fill 'em up. Love camping in the southwest, it's a year round proposition!

Old 01-10-2008, 11:08 PM
Yea...I have two gas tanks on the trailer. We camped all year off of one tank and it finally ran out halfway through the last trip. Just started on the other bottle, but the first is already filled. Seems like for the performance increase, gas is the way to go.

Thanks for the info Mitch!! BTW Mitch...did I ever tell ya I finally got my two core radiator??

Old 01-11-2008, 02:07 AM
Galaxy,

Yeah, you mentioned the new rad and I've followed your posts on it too. Makes a difference for you I'm sure!

I really like your trans cooler setup too!

The fridge doesn't use hardly any gas at all by itself. I set the 'auto' switch to 'gas' so it stays on gas, even when plugged in. I'm only able to get out once a month for a long weekend trip during the 'camping season' but I end up using one full tank overall.. The water heater and the furnace suck up most of it! When I have electric, I'll use an electric heater, but my water heater is gas only.

Can't wait until May. That's our first scheduled trip!

Mitch

Old 01-11-2008, 09:00 AM
I only have a gas heater, but it gets used maybe 3 months out of the year and sometimes then just to knock the chill off in the morning. I only use gas for the water heater also. The guys at the dealership didn't even plug it up for electric. They said electrics dangerous if it ever ran out of water. I've never pluged it in or had it on electrically. Headed out for a short weekend next week maybe. But for sure a long weekend next month!

Quick Reply: Gas or Electric