Towing & Hauling

no battery charge no back up lights!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 04:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no battery charge no back up lights!!

Hi Gang.
I'm trying to set up my 96 F150 xlt with factory trailer package with a 7 pin RV connector. I keep running in to problems.
1st on aftermarket plug and play 7 pin is out there so no big deal i got the one that has the 4 flat pin and the 7 pin rv in it i plug in the flat 4 on the back side and that leaves me with 3 plus a heavy ground left to connect.
Blue is brake this I know.
Per Bill /sub-fords diagram orange went to the #2 battery charge terminal
and black with green stripe when to #1 center for back up lights.

Well i have no back up light no battery charge...
I poke around the relays there all there all the fuses are good hum........
Then i just happen to look down under the master cyl and see a round 4 pin connector with an orange wire in it. The connector is clipped to the inner fender well i free it and remove the blank off and check continuity to the rv connector and low and behold that the wire. Okay i see another 4 pin coming out of the fuse box free that and what do you know they are the same gender so they don't just plug in.
Okay now I'm pissed I pull the relay and find #87 leg of the relay goes to a wire in the 4 pin that seems good now back up lights diagram shows a second relay but i don't find one marked for the rev lights but i do see a fuse labeled trailer back up okay on leg of fuse 4 goes to another wire in the 4 pin connector but wait. The connections are not pin for pin and theres no signal to close the relay to charge the battery.

What the heck am I missing? i can't RTFM cause i don't have one and neither do the 5 parts stores around hear. I've got my 65 and my 87 but there not the same. AUG i feel like charlie Brown and the truck is lucy with a foot ball.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:33 AM
Pre-1997 Ford trucks are a pain to wire. I usually run new charge, brake feed and reverse lines in the earilier years. I do this to ensure that they are intact as some do not go from front to back and stop below the cab, others are ran most of the way or not at all. When I install new wires remember to fuse them to ensure you don't get a melt down.

Oh yeah, that reverse is brown with a green trace.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:37 AM
From a picture on another fordtruck site it looks as if i'm missing a side relay box although i have a relay in the main box called trailer charge......

I was thinking of running my own bat charge relay so i can switch it on and not have to have the key in the ign. As i use the trailer to haul my race car i need inside lights but like to have the truck locked up.

Quick Reply: no battery charge no back up lights!!