Towing & Hauling

Experience Towing 21FT TT?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 02:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by APT
Anything but a diesel will get 10mpg towing that kind of wind resistance. With ULSD, you may not get much better with diesels. A highwall + slideout would be another alternative, but up-front costs will be similar to a hybrid or even normal full-sized TT.

The thought of 50% more fuel costs for any given tow trip may be daunting ,but do the math. How many miles do you plan to tow every year? Figure out how much extra fuel that means and evaluate if it really is worth the costs.
That is exactly what I say. My truck does fine pulling my 27' TT.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:34 AM
TTs

Thanks for the info APT. I'm really intrigued by the 21SS. Word is that these are now 8' wide vs 7.5 so they may be a tad heavier. It's hard to get accurate information as the brochures and on-line don't agree. So your suggestion to read the plate is a good one.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:27 AM
Apt

You probably meant that Roo and Shamrock are the same. The Surveyor is also made by Forest River but the floor plans etc are different. They also have an enclosed underbelly which is heated. I'm going to give those a look also.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:01 PM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I suspect the brochure weights are closer than the web site, although the brochure also lists 7.5' width.

Waiting for the 21SS w/ front deck like 232...

Old 02-07-2008, 12:30 PM
From someone who is planning on buying a TT soon this thread has been great. Thanks for all the info.

Old 02-10-2008, 04:58 PM
Did the deed at the RV show

Well thanks for the input from all of you. We went to the RV show this weekend and bought a Surveyor by Forest River. Model is a 23RKS. Build weight of the trailer is 4,500 and change. So will probably be pulling about 5,500 pounds.

The dealer says all I should need is an equalizer hitch. He didn't feel that anti-sway was necessary on an F150. Opinions?

Thinking of going with the Prodigy for a brake controller as that seems most popular on the board.

Old 02-10-2008, 06:01 PM
prodigy brake controller Congratulations on your new camper.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:58 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congratulations! What made you go for that floorplan?

Anti-sway is not necessary, but could be useful in some high wind conditions.

Only reason not to get the Prodigy is if you get the Tekonsha P3. Not worth 50% more than the P3 to me, but must be for some people. Same braking performance, extra display/diagnostics.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:29 PM
APT, Floor Plan Decision

We realize that we gave up some floor space and have a longer tow vehicle. That is comparing say a 21SS Roo with the Surveyor SV235KRS. Weight is pretty comparable. But in the end, we felt that the Surveyor had some advantages (at least to us, not making the judgment for everyone). Warmer when cold, Cooler when hot (all sides are hard, the rear slide out is hard-sided, it has AC), more secure (bears, theft, etc), quieter, less setup and teardown time. Also National Parks are not dog friendly (not allowed on trails, they might poop or bite or make noise, but horses are allowed on the trails!! Can you spot the inconsistency here?) So we might have to leave our dog in the camper for a few hours at a time in the campground occasionally. We want him secure, comfortable (temp), and most of all, not bothering the whole campground (we can close it up).

Also, the Surveyor had the following appeal to us: Low height, only 8.5 feet high (we can get it through the 10.5 foot door in our barn and might pull a little easier through the air). Enclosed bottom; more aerodynamic and heated floor better in cold temps. Torsion axles; I like them better than solid axles with leaf springs, lower center of gravity, independent wheel action.

In the end, everyone makes their own decisions for their own reasons. So this was the way we saw it for purposes.

Old 02-21-2008, 01:46 PM
Looks like I jumped into the thread a little late. Congrats on your new toy! I'm pulling a 2007 Travel Star 21SSD, which is actually about 32' from tongue to spare tire. I would spring for the anti-sway, it helps so much with fish-tailing. I also have the Prodigy, love it and works great.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:04 PM
Got the Prodigy. About a 30 minute install; most of which was deciding mouting location. Got the Reese Straight-Line system; which is just a combination of their WD hitch and their dual cam sway control. I think we'll be in good shape with these in place. Thanks everyone.

Quick Reply: Experience Towing 21FT TT?