Towing & Hauling

Fifth wheel hitch for 08 F150 5.5 bed??

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 09:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
APT,

Regarding the scale idea ... Been there done that. For other reasons though. I had tire issues (on the trailer ... not the trucks!) seemed like we went thru the stock Goodyears a bit quickly and I wanted to have the 'actual' trailer dry weight and then info by axle and the effect it had (this was on my Dads GMC 1500) on the tow vehicle, again by axle.

Fortunately, a buddy of mine has a CAT scale at his 'Travel Center' (I-275 and South Huron Road in New Boston MI, in case you get down this way) use of the scale was free and we had plenty of time. Unfortunately, the records are in the 5th wheel in storage, but I recall the results being the 5th wheel added roughly 840lb's to the trucks rear wheel 'scale' load, and only like 150lbs up front. I'll get those numbers out when I can, we spent a couple hours there fooling around, trying to isolate and measure each scenario. All were with the trailer dry and I certainly consider all of this when adding 'thing's to the trailer for a trip.

The end result was I now run Carlyle trailer tires and run 65mph max rather than the 70-75 I'd prefer to run. Saves me money on both gas and tires, but it's pretty mind numbing. I need to learn that the 'drive' is supposed to be part of the 'fun' if your a weekend camper. Not quite there yet. The problem with 65mph is you have to run the right lane and no one in Michigan appears to know how a Highway 'merge' entrance works. It's only a matter of time until someone hits the boat I have behind my 5th wheel, due to a poorly executed 'merge'.

Regards ... Rob

Last edited by RobPrice; 03-25-2010 at 09:29 AM.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:59 PM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the scale recommendation. I need to find out where my current truck is before purchasing my new TT and I work @ 275 & 7 Mile, not too far away.

Glad you have already done some measuring. Sounds like your adding just under 1000 pounds to the truck dry. That will obviously go up when adding water and cargo.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:16 PM
Does anyone have any pictures with a 04-08 f150 with a 5th wheel?

If so, can you post, and let us know what you are running for a hitch and trailer? That would be sweet... thanks

Old 02-20-2011, 09:39 AM
You can pull a fifth wheel with an F-150

You can safely pull a fifth wheel with an F-150. I have been doing it for years. I am a construction worker, and have pulled TTs and Fifth wheels all over the US.
I have tried them all.

If you only tow occasionally, you don't really need the big truck. If most of your driving is towing then get a bigger truck.

In my situation, I just pull the Fifth wheel twice per job. Once on the way to the job and once on the way home. The rest of the time, I am using my truck for transplantation only. The high maintenance of a bigger truck just doesn't make sense to me. Although most of the guys do use the bigger trucks, I don't.

Remember an F-250 probably weights a couple thousand pounds more than the F-150 depending on the engine size and weight. Your bigger tires, fuel mileage, oil changes, etc all cost more money. This is for a vehicle that is used mostly for transportation.

If you think you need a big Travel Trailer with a lot of extras then you will need a big truck. If you are comfortable with a little less space, buy a smaller Trailer with a GVWR that your truck can handle. Remembering that you will have to add the weight of whatever you need, to live in the Trailer.

You can add a thousand to fifteen hundred pounds pretty easy. When I buy a new Fifth wheel, I add fifteen hundred pounds to the "dry weight" of the trailer and match that weight to my trucks GVWR.

As far as going to a bumper pull travel trailer, I don't do it. The Fifth Wheel is safer, pulls better, stops better, and handles better in every way. The Pipeliners that I work with, all use Fifth Wheels. Most of them are like me, they have used them all their working life and have tried all types. Occasionally you will see a bumper pull travel trailer (we call them tag-a-longs) but the majority of the Pipeliners wont buy anything but a Fifth Wheel.

Also, I don't bother with the sliding hitch. I had one for a while but I never used it. You need a 6 1/2 foot bed. The Fifth Wheel can hit the cab if your make a hard 90 degree turn but you will never turn that hard just driving on the streets. When you make a ninety degree corner, the truck and trailer never get more than about forty five degrees to each other. To hit the cab pulling forward, you would have to make a switchback turn that was more than ninety degrees. Streets and RV parks are laid out so that you don't have this type of turn. I suppose it might be possible to find one. I never have. If you do find a turn like this, you wont be able to make it. You will have to go some other direction.

It is possible (not very probable) when backing up, to turn hard enough to hit your cab. It is simple enough to avoid that. Just watch for that when you are backing up. When backing up you should be watching every thing carefully anyway. If the Fifth Wheel starts getting close to the cab, stop and pull up far enough to get less of an angle and come back again. It takes less time to do that than it does to get out and move your sliding hitch back.

Although I haven't pulled a Fifth Wheel with a 5 1/2 foot bed, I believe the same logic applies to it. In fact I am considering making my next new truck a 5 1/2 foot bed so that I can have the crew cab. I might need a sliding hitch for that.

My current truck is an 06 F-150 with a 5.4 V8. I get around ten miles per gallon towing. This depends on how flat the highway is. If I get into foothills or mountains, it can go down to as much as seven miles per gallon.
Empty I get around 15 or 16 around town and 17 to 18 on the highway with cruise set at 65.

Old 02-20-2011, 02:10 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
I am considering making my next new truck a 5 1/2 foot bed so that I can have the crew cab.
No need. You can get a Screw with a 6.5' bed now.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:02 PM
Originally Posted by robertmII
I think the concern is its almost impossible to pull a 5th wheel and stay within the limits Ford sets for the F150. In addition to potentially being hazardous to yourself and others on the road by exceeding the trucks capabilities, you run the risk of being ticketed for breaking the law.

God forbid you actually do get into an accident and someone is hurt, if you are towing outside of the limits set for your truck you face incarceration as well as potentially devastating civil litigation.
you do realize that it also all depends on the conditions of the accident. I had a 97 chevy 1500 with a 5.0 that i actually recently totalled because of a car stopped in the middle of i-64 w in west virginia. car in front of me swerved at the last second and i could swerve all 22ft of the trailer having 6840lbs between my cherokee on the trailer, tools, generator, and parts. i was over the gvwr of the truck im assuming,( never checked) but i was smart enough to do trailer brakes, upgraded truck brakes, class 4 for the weight among other odds and ends. But yet being over the trucks gvwr had nothing to do with the accident. And being over the gvwr could not be seen as a cause of the accident so all in all it depends on the specifics of the accident.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by glc
11000 lbs and 1/2 ton towable is a BIG stretch but technically not an out and out lie. I *think* someone has a 1/2 ton that advertises 11000 towing capacity, but we all know that's under totally ideal conditions which will never be met.
ford offered a 10400lb if i remember right when the 09s came out.

Quick Reply: Fifth wheel hitch for 08 F150 5.5 bed??