Towing & Hauling

do i need a brake controller?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 12:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do i need a brake controller?

i have a 1997 150 stepside with the towing package and i am planning to put a 7-pin connecter on it so i can tow a 20 foot dual axel trailer. i dont know if i am going to need the brake controller or not. and if so how do i hook it up?
thanks,
matt

Old 02-17-2008, 12:36 AM
How heavy will the trailer be when loaded?

If it is under 3,500 pounds loaded, you can get by w/o trailer brakes... if it exceeds 3,500 pounds, brakes are a necessary commodity.

Also, if the trailer is equiped with brakes, you will need a brake controller such as the Prodigy in order for your truck to 'tell' the brakes on the trailer what to do.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:44 AM
Brake Controller

Check your state laws too. There are regulations about weight and when a trailer needs brakes. Odds are, if your trailer has brakes, you need to use them. The prodigy is easy to install if you have the towing package. It took me about 30 minutes start to finish. A big portion of that was just deciding where to place it. Got mine off of internet for $115 shipped including a Ford wiring plug.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:36 AM
Originally Posted by acadianabob
Check your state laws too...

DOT standards for required trailer brakes adopted by most states:

Commercial:
Any trailer with a GVWR or 3500#'s and over
Any trailer under 3500#'s GVWR that will influence the control of the tow vehicle under emergency conditions.

Personal Use:
Any trailer no matter what GVWR that will influence the control of the tow vehicle under emergency conditions.
Any trailer GVWR in excess of 3500#'s

Look at your VIN tag...if the GVWR is greater than 3500#'s you should have a brake controller to control the brakes. Since you stated that the camper trailer has dual axles you have a minimum GVWR of 7000#'s, or up to 14,000#'s which is double the weight that requires trailer brakes that operate.

Last edited by Colorado Osprey; 02-17-2008 at 09:41 AM.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:07 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The short answer is YES. It is best to have one for safety even if you think you don't really need one. The Tekonsha Prodigy is the most popular one around. I use one when towing my travel trailer and you can't tell it is back there when braking. You just set it and forget it when you install it. It works great.

Last edited by kd4crs; 02-17-2008 at 12:13 PM.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:52 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Two axles = must use trailer brakes. A flatbed two axle trailer weighs 2500-3000 pounds empty.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:22 PM
In some states, mine anyway, I think any trailer with more than one axle must(by law) have brakes on at least one axle regardless of weight. I use a Tekonsha Primus its very similar to the Prodigy. The Primus & Prodigy are among the best controllers on the market.They run about 100-120$. They have sensors built in that read the trucks speed and apply the trailer brakes proportionally. Meaning the faster you stop the truck the harder the trailer brakes. There are much cheaper controllers out there, 40-60$. They work more like brake on, brake off, the same pressure all the time. They do not have the speed sensor or the ability to apply a "calculated" pressure. Any brake controller is far better than no controller. No controller=no trailer brakes.

This site shows some diagrams that may be helpful.
http://www.marksrv.com/wiring.htm

Quick Reply: do i need a brake controller?