Towing & Hauling

wiring trailer additions..

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 04:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wiring trailer additions..

I have a 2006 F150 5.4 Triton with towing package and 7 pin connector. I've built additions to a trailer and have independent 12v battery in cargo compartment for compartment lights (wired and working well) but need to wire clearance lights and charge compartment battery from truck system. How do I proceed from vehicle connector to ( 1 ) wire trailer clearance lights (8 small) and ( 2 ) charge compartment battery? Also, ( 3 ) can I wire 6 small amber lights onto the trailer frame using the running/tail lights wire without having a problem. ( I understand the typical running/tail lights and right/left signal wiring. ) Thanks.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:51 AM
Your running light (brown wire) will need to be tapped into somewhere on the trailer and can run all the marker lights you need. Your trailer should have a chassis ground so all that will need to be run to the lights is just that running light wire. Most marker lights have a chassis ground so a ground wire won't need to be run.(some do)

On your 7 pin in the 1 o'clock postition, looking at the tow vehicle plug is an auxillery charge 30-50 amp service. This will need to be run to the trailer battery. I recommend adding a fuse from the battery to the items you are using it for in the trailer in case a short developes so you don't burn down your trailer. The charge line is fused in the truck. You should run a ground from the 7 pin (7 o'clock position) to the battery as well as an additional ground to the trailer chassis.

Old 02-18-2008, 05:15 AM
Smile Thanks very much!

Originally Posted by Colorado Osprey
Your running light (brown wire) will need to be tapped into somewhere on the trailer and can run all the marker lights you need. Your trailer should have a chassis ground so all that will need to be run to the lights is just that running light wire. Most marker lights have a chassis ground so a ground wire won't need to be run.(some do)

On your 7 pin in the 1 o'clock postition, looking at the tow vehicle plug is an auxillery charge 30-50 amp service. This will need to be run to the trailer battery. I recommend adding a fuse from the battery to the items you are using it for in the trailer in case a short developes so you don't burn down your trailer. The charge line is fused in the truck. You should run a ground from the 7 pin (7 o'clock position) to the battery as well as an additional ground to the trailer chassis.
Not certain how to do this reply.. hope you get it Osprey.. Just want to thank you again for the help...

Quick Reply: wiring trailer additions..