Towing & Hauling

Can i tow this?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 09:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can i tow this?

Hello, I am new to the forum. I have a 2003 F150 SuperCrew, 5.4, FX4, K&N, FX4 rims, silver. Class III Reese Hitch. I am about to purchase a 24ft, 5000lb trailer.

Will my truck pull that weight OK? and should I have any special equipment attached to the truck to do so. The trailer is 8.5ft wide so I am also a little concerned about my mirrors. The truck only has the oval shaped mirrors. Anyone aware of where I can obtain the slip on mirrors for the wider viewing?

Thanking you inadvance.

Matthew

Old 02-19-2008, 10:25 PM
Several points to answer your question:

1) 5K pounds is probably the dry weight. You will notice the trailer more & more as you add weight. Your truck will begin to "work" harder.

2) You need to SERIOUSLY consider trailer brakes and a sway control. That's a long trailer to have whipping back and force, and a lot of extra weight to slow down. Only use a 7-pin connector.

3) You need to ensure your hitch and ball can handle the load. Are they installed correctly and in good condition?

4) Make sure your tranny, tranny cooler, and radiator are ready for some work.

5) Get towing mirrors. Not slip-ons, put proper towing mirrors. If you can afford a 24ft trailer, you can afford mirrors.

6) 24ft is a long trailer... practice pulling it before you hit the open road, and take a test drive before purchasing.

7) Your suspension will get a work out... make sure maintenance is up to date.

Long story short... Can you pull it? Yes you can. Will you be pulling it comfortably, especially for any distance when loaded? You will pull it, but not comfortably.

Many will say that you can easily pull it, however; the goal is not to just pull the trailer. The goal is to pull it SAFELY and efficiently.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:43 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check the weight on that trailer. Check the axles too. A 24' trailer probably has 5k axles, so GVWR is 10k which is not something you should pull with a 1/2 ton truck. if it realyl weighs 5k empty, then you plan to add a 3000 pound car, plus 1000 pounds of parts/gear, that's too much for an F-150. Will your truck pull it? Yep! But trading for an F-250 V10 with similar equipment should only run $2-4k and will save you in the long term.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:04 AM
Originally Posted by racecarguy
Hello, I am new to the forum. I have a 2003 F150 SuperCrew, 5.4, FX4, K&N, FX4 rims, silver. Class III Reese Hitch. I am about to purchase a 24ft, 5000lb trailer.

Will my truck pull that weight OK? and should I have any special equipment attached to the truck to do so. The trailer is 8.5ft wide so I am also a little concerned about my mirrors. The truck only has the oval shaped mirrors. Anyone aware of where I can obtain the slip on mirrors for the wider viewing?

Thanking you inadvance.

Matthew
Assuming your pulling a race car. First, l'm hoping the trailer has 5k axles. If not then you will be pulling over the rated load when you put a car in there. Not a good idea for the trailer. Second, with car and supplies how much will you be loaded too? I pull a very similar trailer/car combo. 24ft and about 7500lbs totally loaded up. See my pics for reference. Things you'll need are a brake controller (recommend prodigy), load leveling/anti sway (highly recommend Equalizer) and something to monitor tranny temps (recommend Scan guage II -only cause its inexpensive).

My truck is 4 years newer than yours and obviously lower mileage. Make sure you're truck is in very good condition and up for the load. I feel like I'm right at the limit on whats comfortable to pull with my truck. A F250 would def. be a better choice but the f150 was a good compromise for me.

Honestly, if I were you I'd look for a lighter trailer. A 24ft trailer empty should be around 3200 lbs. Mine with 5k axles and full finished interior etc is under 3400.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:14 PM
can i tow this?

Hi all and thank-you for the replies. Some of you have thought I would be pullin a car on top of the trailer wherein fact I shold have pointed out the trailer is actually a one sided carnival trailer I will be using for my business. Weight won't be much more than 5000lbs in all even with gear.

Will that change anyones mind?

thanking you inadvance.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:21 PM
glc
Received 774 Likes on 715 Posts
You should be fine. I would still do the brakes and WD hitch thing and consider an upgraded tranny cooler unless the truck has the factory towing package.

Quick Reply: Can i tow this?