Towing & Hauling

Those who tow, and are in the know <-----I rhymed

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 04:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those who tow, and are in the know <-----I rhymed

A question for everybody towing out there:

I have an '06 F150, and would like a good weight distributing hitch setup (preferably with trailer sway control) for an enclosed trailer. When loaded up for the weekend the trailer could be grossing about 5,500-6,000 pounds and about 17% tongue weight which would warrant a WD-hitch since I can only tow 5,000 pounds and 500 pound tongue weight with a load-bearing (standard) setup. I already have a Prodigy brake controller and 7pin connectors on the trailer and truck. All other aspects of towing this thing are squared away.

Here is the twist... I need a weight distributing hitch that will work with my 6" lift. Most of the hitches I find raise the ball mount, I need it to drop. Can I simply flip it over like on a standard drop hitch?

Old 02-24-2008, 04:28 PM
I recommend the Equal-i-zer.

The 1,000/10,000 size should work well with your trailer.

If you need to drop further than the lowest hole on the stock bracket they can sell you one that will work.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:44 PM
Valley sells a WD set-up that you can also install a sway set-up onto that is adjustable and can be turned upside-down to give you more than enough drop for that little old 6" lift. You want the 12k set-up for the longer ball mount adjustment

Draw-tite won't give you enough drop.

Last edited by Colorado Osprey; 02-24-2008 at 07:48 PM.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:27 AM
Thanks guys. I ended up buying a pittly old 5'x10' BigTex 29SA open trailer today.

The price was right ($450) and it will fit in the garage. Dry weight of 770 pounds, and loaded will be around 2,200.

I am wanting to get a small toy hauler or travel trailer though, so I will continue to research wd hitches.

Here is another random, and totally off the wall question though: Let's say I end up buying a 16'-18' travel trailer (with brakes), and attach my BigTex to the back of the travel trailer. I have a Class A and all endorsements (except hazerdous materials), so it is legal for me to pull doubles in CA so long as one of the trailer is equiped with brakes and I don't exceed certain lengths. That might be a little too much stress on the old F150 though... maybe an F350 at that point. Hmm, it would be nice to haul the bikes and camp though.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:19 AM
Originally Posted by Tornadom
....Let's say I end up buying a 16'-18' travel trailer (with brakes), and attach my BigTex to the back of the travel trailer.
That should work as long as the travel trailer is a 5th wheel or Goose Neck trailer. Doubles cannot be both bumper pull.

Make sure when/if you purchase the travel trailer that it comes factory equipped with a reciever tube to attach the other trailer. Without the factory installed hitch you can be assured that the rear of the travel trailer was not designed structurally to pull any load.

I have installed a number of these reciever tubes/service body hitches on the back of travel trailers and it is quite involved and expensive to up-fit a trailer that never had one in cluding adding about 2-400#'s of steel to the trailer.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That should work as long as the travel trailer is a 5th wheel or Goose Neck trailer. Doubles cannot be both bumper pull.
Actually, some states do, in fact, allow a recreational double without the first trailer being a 5er. (If my memory serves, TX does, but California does not, but don't quote me on that... a cursory search didn't turn anything up one way or the other)

-Joe

Old 02-25-2008, 08:05 PM
I use a Reese Strait Line Weight Distribution system and it handles the anti-sway. It's pretty similar to the Equailizer setup, to each their own really. Here's a link to what I use: http://www.reese-hitches.com/product...ion_Bars,66073

Trending Topics

Old 02-26-2008, 11:40 AM
Here are the rules on double towing in CA:

CA DMV RV Section:

You may only tow a single vehicle with your Class C driver license. You may not tow two vehicles or trailers with a Class C license. (Example: You cannot tow a boat trailer/boat and car behind your motor home or pickup/camper.) (Ref 1, Ref 2)

From other parts of CA DMV areas:

CA VC 21715. (a) No passenger vehicle regardless of weight, or any other motor vehicle under 4,000 pounds unladen, shall draw or tow more than one vehicle in combination, except that an auxiliary dolly or tow dolly may be used with the towed vehicle.
(b) No motor vehicle under 4,000 pounds unladen shall tow any vehicle weighing 6,000 pounds or more gross.

CA VC 35401. (a) Except as provided in subdivisions (b), (c), and (d), no combination of vehicles coupled together, including any attachments, may exceed a total length of 65 feet.

Licensing:
Commercial Class A: You may drive any legal combination of vehicles, including vehicles under Classes B and C.
You may tow:
* any single vehicle with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of more than 10,000 lbs.
* any trailer bus, with endorsement
* more than one vehicle, with endorsement
* any vehicle under Classes B (an additional endorsement may be required) or C
Basic Class C:
You may tow:
* a single vehicle with a GVWR of 10,000 lbs. or less including a tow dolly, if used.
With a vehicle weighing at least 4,000 lbs., you may tow a:
* trailer coach or 5th wheel travel trailer under 10,000 lbs. GVWR when towing is not for compensation.
* 5th wheel travel trailer exceeding 10,000 lbs. but under 15,000 lbs. GVWR, when towing is not for compensation and with endorsement.
NOTE:
* Class C licensees may not tow more than one vehicle.
* No passenger vehicle regardless of weight, may tow more than one vehicle.
* No motor vehicle under 4,000 lbs. unladen may tow any vehicle weighing 6,000 lbs. or more gross.

Basically, I can tow the aforementioned combo.

I have the good old, Class A, M1, T, P, and N licence... oh, and I have my racing lisence and I am only a few flight hours away from a private pilot's lisence.

Quick Reply: Those who tow, and are in the know <-----I rhymed