Towing & Hauling

Overweight in KY

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 10:36 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
Well, playing devil's advocate here - not all states even allow you to put passenger plates on a pickup truck, they require commercial plates. If you are going to run passenger plates, those may come with restrictions and limits that you might exceed with a truck.

To be fair, in IL the cost for 8000# truck plates is the same as for passenger plates - $78. To go up one step to 12000 or 16000# (I forget which) is $109. Even with the 8000# plates, you may not drive your pickup truck on roads that prohibit commercial vehicles.

Sounds like if you want to haul anything, you need to bite the bullet and buy those 10000# truck plates.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:02 AM
Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
Well, playing devil's advocate here - not all states even allow you to put passenger plates on a pickup truck, they require commercial plates. If you are going to run passenger plates, those may come with restrictions and limits that you might exceed with a truck.

To be fair, in IL the cost for 8000# truck plates is the same as for passenger plates - $78. To go up one step to 12000 or 16000# (I forget which) is $109. Even with the 8000# plates, you may not drive your pickup truck on roads that prohibit commercial vehicles.

Sounds like if you want to haul anything, you need to bite the bullet and buy those 10000# truck plates.
In Texas, you can get passenger or truck...makes no difference to the county clerk. Both are the same price. No one ever gets a ticket. Guess thats why my state is FORD COUNTRY!

Old 02-27-2008, 12:53 AM
Been thinkin bout movin.Sounds like texas is the place.LOL.Never had any tickets in my state either.The problem is crossing state lines and running into a check point.License and registration sir?Sir your registration has a GVW limit of 6000 lbs.How can u explain to the officer that your legal when your not,even in your home state.Sir Ky does'nt pay any attention to our registration.Yeah right. Commercial plates are a nightmare.Triple the insurance.You have to keep a current medical card with you and be subject to all commercial laws and regulations.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:03 AM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
Now that's just wrong. I have "truck" plates on mine in MO and had them in IL. My insurance is about the same as it was on my last car. I don't need a CDL or a medical cert, a basic driver's license in IL is good up to 16000# GVW, you only need a CDL to drive for hire.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by welfare wagon
That may be true, but as far as I know if your vehicle is registered and legal in the state in you live in and you travel they cannot ticket you for not meeting there standards, or thats how its always been for me. For example, a state with, no tint laws, lowered suspension, radar detectors etc, cannot make you change or enforce a ticket on you just because your traveling thru, now should you move to that state then you would have to conform. ......
In Colorado you must meed all Colorado vehicle/traffic laws to be legal when traveling through. This includes window tint laws, GVW laws, sound levels, suspension or exhaust alteration etc. These laws are considered public safety and are commitable offences that will be issued tickets.

Another example of this is portable weigh stations on Colorado Highways. During this exam youare also inspected for requied DOT safety equipment. If you have a double axle trailer that does not have brakes on both axles you will get a ticket, even though most states do not require this. There are a lot of trailer manufacturer's that only install 1 braking axle on dual axle trailers.

The good part is on a standard Colorado driver's license you can tow up to a combined weight of 26,000 (max 2 trailer axles) with a standard license. 26,001 or more than 2 trailer axles (includes running double trailers) requires a CDL. The only exception is an RV.
As far a GVW's the door tag rules over registration.

It sounds like KY needs to fix their problems.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:48 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It is pretty goofy that they will put a 6,000 lb. plate on a vehicle with a 7,200 lb. GVWR. If there is one thing I've learned after working in state government for over 20 years, it is this: It's government, it doesn't have to make sense.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:39 PM
Good News!!! Called the clerks office this morning to see if by chance that they had changed the registration yet and they had to 10,000 GVW. Guess the call to Frankfort and my dealer got something done.My tags die tommorrow so it was just in time.Anybody that has a truck here that lives in Ky go to the clerks office and get your updated registration receipt.

Never been to Colorado but most of the states I have been in do require you to follow their laws just as Colorado Osprey stated.Some here thought that was wrong but I guess they must never leave their state or have'nt ran into the right cop yet.Anyway its all good now.I won't have to keep my eyes glued to the rearview every time I pass a DOT in another state.

Quick Reply: Overweight in KY