Towing & Hauling

Overweight in KY

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 02:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overweight in KY

Dont buy a full size pickup in the state of Ky. Why? They have replaced truck tags with passenger vehicle plates. Weight limit for the tags is 6000lbs. Got pulled in my neighbor state of Va and they were gonna write me a ticket for overweight because my registration certificate says GVW 6000lbs. and i weighed in at 6897.$180.00 fine + court costs and a day off work.I now have a $30,000.00 truck that cant haul anything without being overweight.Called West Virginia and got the same answer.So I guess the only state i can legally haul anything is my home state.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:29 PM
Suspended
??? Something weird is going on...or you are misinformed about something. But then again law makers are idiots. Looking forward to seeing others comments.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:32 PM
Been in contact with Frankfort.Head of vehicle registation.They acknowldege the problem and said were gonna change the GVW line on the registrations but thats been 3 weeks ago and they are still printing out with the same line.In order to get truck plates you have to go commercial and that is expensive with the insurance and all.Thats for 10,000 lb plates.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:00 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Show your DVM the driver's door sticker on your truck that clearly shows GVWR of your truck (probably 7200). With the weights of 1/2 ton pickups going up so much, your state needs to adjust it's registration laws.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:50 AM
Sounds weird to me, i have a UK plate and tow 6000 lbs with no law enforcement problem, the county clerk websites even say its okay to have a non 6000 lb plate on a pickup.

"This plate may be issued to any non-commercial vehicle having a gross weight of less than 10,000 lbs. $10.00 of the initial and renewal of registration goes to the general scholarship fund of the particular University. This type of plate is issued every five years, and will be replaced in the year 2003 and every 5th year after."

Check out this website, click on the different plates offered by our state.
http://mvl.ky.gov/MVLWeb/PIServlet

Whoever told you that 6000 lbs was the limit is wrong, the new unbridled plates state this.

Who is eligible:
Beginning September 19, 2005 the Unbridled Spirit License Plate will be available for any owner of a non-commercial motor vehicle required to be registered for Kentucky highways.

Relevant KRS:
KRS186.050

Steps Required:
Picture Id, Proof of ownership, and Proof of Insurance

Initial Cost and Cost each time a new plate is issued:
$21.00

Annual Renewal Cost:
$21.00

Decal Expires:
Customers Birth Month

Remarks:
This plate may be issued to any non-commercial vehicle having a gross weight of less than 10,000 lbs.

BTW I am overweight in Ky I could loose a few lbs myself

Last edited by welfare wagon; 02-26-2008 at 09:52 AM.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:52 AM
How much do I trucks usually weigh from the dealer. I have a 07 FX2 Sport and I would like to know how much it weighs this way I can check my registration.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:53 AM
Welfare Wagon you are correct in the plates being for 10000 lb or less passenger vehicle.They are tagging your vehicle as that, a passenger vehicle, not a truck. Look at your registration receipt at the top right under GVW it will say PCC 6000 which means you are overweight if your payload,thats either in your truck or tounge weight is over 6000 lbs.It does not apply to passengers if your not hauling anything.They are covering this by doing away with the 6000 lb truck plate. To be legal in another state besides our lovely 1 you will need at least a 10000 lb plate if you have a payload and that will cost you as a commercial vehicle.Call your clerks office and ask them if you can get 10000 lb plates and see what they say.What if you are in another state and are pulling a trailer or hauling something and you have an accident.Ky has no fault not all other states do. When they ask you for your registration and you are limited to 6000 lbs guess who's at fault. The overweight vehicle thats you.

Trending Topics

Old 02-26-2008, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by pmason718
How much do I trucks usually weigh from the dealer. I have a 07 FX2 Sport and I would like to know how much it weighs this way I can check my registration.

Check your passenger side door. My truck weighs 6,070 with 2 passengers. I checked it at a local scrap yard who let me check my weight.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by hillbilly4u
Welfare Wagon you are correct in the plates being for 10000 lb or less passenger vehicle.They are tagging your vehicle as that, a passenger vehicle, not a truck. Look at your registration receipt at the top right under GVW it will say PCC 6000 which means you are overweight if your payload,thats either in your truck or tounge weight is over 6000 lbs.It does not apply to passengers if your not hauling anything.They are covering this by doing away with the 6000 lb truck plate. To be legal in another state besides our lovely 1 you will need at least a 10000 lb plate if you have a payload and that will cost you as a commercial vehicle.Call your clerks office and ask them if you can get 10000 lb plates and see what they say.What if you are in another state and are pulling a trailer or hauling something and you have an accident.Ky has no fault not all other states do. When they ask you for your registration and you are limited to 6000 lbs guess who's at fault. The overweight vehicle thats you.
That may be true, but as far as I know if your vehicle is registered and legal in the state in you live in and you travel they cannot ticket you for not meeting there standards, or thats how its always been for me. For example, a state with, no tint laws, lowered suspension, radar detectors etc, cannot make you change or enforce a ticket on you just because your traveling thru, now should you move to that state then you would have to conform.

The way I read it was that the 10,000 lb was to be for a non commercial vehicle, which is me, towing my personal travel trailer, so I should be good right?

Old 02-26-2008, 01:49 PM
I have been stopped in at least 3 or 4 different states and was told they didnt give a rats **** what my state laws were, as long as I was in their state i would abide by their laws.I paid the tickets and I doubt the state of Ky would reimburse me or go to court with me to argue this point.For example Va says your lifted truck can't be so many inches from the ground to bumper.I have seen them take a ruler and measure a many of them.Ky says they're legal but why did I see the poor sap get a ticket??If we have a 10,000 lb and under GVW then why doesnt it show that on the registration instead of the 6000 lb that is on there now? Did you check yours?

Last edited by hillbilly4u; 02-26-2008 at 01:52 PM.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by hillbilly4u
Did you check yours?
Not yet, but I will as soon as I get back to the truck tonight, seems fishy that they would tell you that and make you pay a fine, unless your were being a real a** to the police officer then they may have said something like that to you.
You should have fought the charge, as its legal in your state, unless they are willing to put up a fix it station at each border crossing and pay to make your vehicle acceptable to their terms while you spend 3 hours passing through on the interstate.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:39 PM
Was'nt being an a**.Just told him I was legal in my home state.Why would they set up anything.The purpose is to meet their ticket quota?Lets see fighting the charge.The fine I believe that time was $157.00.Even if i represent myself there is fuel there and back @ 250 miles 1 way.1 or 2 days missed work.Unless your gonna fight it on principle.Cheaper to just pay the fine which is what they(the courts of that state) know.Would be a lot simpler if Ky would just amend the registration to 10,000 lbs and there would be no problem.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:30 PM
LOL... My F-250 weighs in at 7800lbs with me and a passenger, and a full tank of diesel. I have 6,000lb plates on it...

Old 02-26-2008, 04:36 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
Hell, I've been technically illegal with BL6's on mine - that's 6000# total truck and trailer weight, not tongue weight. I figure with 6050 GVW nobody will hassle me if I'm not towing.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:02 PM
If I choose to run illegal thats one story and have done it many times but for my state to license me that way without a choice is another.

Quick Reply: Overweight in KY