Towing & Hauling

Towing with a 1989 F150...how much can I haul? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 02:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing with a 1989 F150...how much can I haul? Help!

I'm looking at a gently used 1989 F150 5.8L V8 automatic 4WD, that I've been told has either 3.75 or 4.10 rear axles (I don't know much about these things...I'm a relative truck newbie) -- and I'm trying to figure out the towing capacity of this truck.

I'm looking for something to haul a small 2-horse bumper-pull horse trailer on trips of ~200mi or less...and I'm wondering if this truck will get the job done for me.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Old 02-28-2008, 02:55 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
IMO, that kind of load should be ok for that rig. You will know it's back there and you might want to consider a WD (Weight Distribution) type of hitch if the tongue weight is over #500. Also electric brakes or at least surge brakes on the trailer as well.

If there even is a 'tow rating' for that year truck, it's not like you can just figure that's the weight trailer you can haul either... Lots of other things to consider as well...

Back in the day, I drove a (brand new at the time) 1989 E250 van with the 351 in it. I don't know what the rear axle was, but I'll guess it was a 3.55. Anyway, you could look on the door jamb sticker (if it's still there) and get the code that's under "AXLE" or similar. Post it, or search for that code and that will tell you what gear it came with at any rate.

I towed a 14 foot covered utility trailer with that van cross country and it weighed in at some #6000 I'd guess (it was loaded from front to back with lots of steel and tools for construction work). It did ok on the flats, but once there where any hills or grades, it would slow down a bunch... Meaning, I was in first gear and my foot to the floor and going 25 mph! I got about 100-125 miles out of each tank before I had to fill up again! That was when gas was only in the $1.00/gal range too!

Good luck!

Mitch

Old 02-28-2008, 04:05 PM
glc
Received 774 Likes on 715 Posts
This was also posted in the basement - I suggested that a pic be taken of the door sticker and posted - we may get some better clues when we see what GVW package, etc. the thing has.

Quick Reply: Towing with a 1989 F150...how much can I haul? Help!