Towing & Hauling

Towing w/ Overdrive

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 11:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Galaxy
Not to sound like a jerk, but did you just read this thread????? Everything talked about applies to you also. The size/weight of the trailer/cargo load is irrelevent. Try it and see what she does. Go back and re-read the parts about the tranny constantly shifting back and fourth or converter not staying locked to know when to turn it off or not.

I can read so yes I read every post in this topic. If you read my post you would have realized that I asked, Quote" I guess what Im asking is how should I know when to turn O/D on and off".

Old 03-03-2008, 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by Raoul
pmason, in your situation the OD should definetly be left on.

If it starts to hunt with that load, on that route, you have other issues.

I hate to sound slow but can you be a little more specifc on the degree of hunting? Im not an expert on converters and transmission. Simply b/c I've taken this route b4 with the trailer and atvs and the tranny would switch back and forth a little but no anything dramatic. Could this have been b/c I was speeding a little bit? I was doing about 65-70mph.

PS, I appreciate you answering my question. Some ppl get a little experience with something and make everyone else out to be an azz when they ask questions. Thanks

Old 03-03-2008, 11:31 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by pmason718
...I guess what Im asking is how should I know when to turn O/D on and off".
I use my CC and experienced no shifts towing 3500 lb.
If you use your right foot, of course the truck may shift but, you would be the culprit not that mini-school load.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:55 AM
So in other words, towing 1100lbs, I should just start the truck up and just drive. There is no need to turn O/D off. Thanks

Old 03-03-2008, 12:05 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
If you have a tach, you can see the converter locking and unlocking. You can also see it shifting back and forth from 4th to 3rd. Your goal is to keep the tach steady at a steady speed.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:06 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
So in other words, towing 1100lbs, I should just start the truck up and just drive. There is no need to turn O/D off. Thanks
I was too delicate to ask but, you're painting me into a corner here.
You completely omitted how much you girlfriend weighs.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:26 PM
I was too delicate to ask but, you're painting me into a corner here.
You completely omitted how much you girlfriend weighs.
lol. She's small. I weigh 170 and she weighs about 120lbs.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:00 PM
Not to jack you thread but....

I will be traveling from NYC to NC (about an 8 hour drive) I will be towing a trailer (290lbs), an atv on the trailer (about 450lbs) and another atv in the bed (about 350lbs). All together thats 1090lbs not including me and my girlfriend inside of the truck. Do you guys think that I should leave O/D on or off. This route isnt extemelt hilly at all. I guess what Im asking is how should I know when to turn O/D on and off. This is my first truck and this is why I'm asking. Thanks
I just pulled almost 4k and it was fine. You are hardly pulling anything. Seriously, I wouldn't give it another thought. Put the truck in drive and head down to NC.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:44 PM
to the people who say it should be left on let me ask you this.

Has anyone burned up a tranny by turning it off? NO

Better safe then sorry IMO

Old 03-03-2008, 02:57 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
All I know is the tach runs higher going down the highwaywithout the OD, that adversely affects mpg.
NY to NC is a couple of tanks each way.

At some point you have to apply common sense.
If I eat a popsicle and toss the stick in the back do I have to turn off the OD?

pmason numbers indicate he could easily break up with this skinny girl and get himself a big'ol girlfriend and still leave the OD on, no problem.

Old 03-03-2008, 05:08 PM
All I know is the tach runs higher going down the highwaywithout the OD, that adversely affects mpg.
NY to NC is a couple of tanks each way.

At some point you have to apply common sense.
If I eat a popsicle and toss the stick in the back do I have to turn off the OD?

pmason numbers indicate he could easily break up with this skinny girl and get himself a big'ol girlfriend and still leave the OD on, no problem.
I don't know about you guys, but my 5.4L doesn't change gas mileage that much even when towing this.

I just think its a lot easier to pay for few extra dollars in gas then the it is worth my time and money buying/installing a new tranny.

To each his own. If you want to use OD go for it....ask my dad about it though. He burned up the tranny in his truck.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:47 PM
Check this thread out:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...ight=converter

From a simple search.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by robertmII
I pulled my car on an open trailer this weekend 500 miles. Total weight was around 3800 lbs. I drove anywhere from 67 to 77 mph the whole way with OD engaged. I never saw the tranny temp get over 169. It was about 75 deg outside. Went from Dallas down to Baton Rouge so there were some decent rolling hills.

Pulling your boat anywhere around N Texas I wouldn't worry about keeping it in third for the weight your towing. If you are concerned get something to read tranny temps. IF they start going up then you will know you have to shift down to 3rd to stop the torque converter from kicking in/out.

I have yet to tow with our new truck in the TX summer heat yet. When its 100deg in the shade all of this may be a much different story.
Robert or anyone else how much does a tranny temp gauge cost? Sorry if that is not even close to what it is actually called. I grew up in a family that took vehicles to the shop when they needed work. (Dad if your reading this I am not blaming you.... ) Also how difficult of a installation is it? I am not hauling my boat very long distances 95% of the time, but it would be a nice thing to have if it does not cost very much.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:31 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't see, and completely disagree that trying to tow with the O/D on would be the cause of burning up the tranny and alsupercabs dad is a complete coinsidense!! Towing in O/D (with the converter locked) does not generate any more heat nor load than towing in any other gear. Now with the converter unlocked that's a different story, but that would be the case in any gear!. The trucks gonna do what it needs to do. If it takes more pedal to downshift out of O/D, that's no different than turning it off manually. I'd like to see someone prove that trying to tow in O/D was ever the 'absolute' sole reason for a tranny failure.

pmason, my sincerest apologies also!! I did not mean that the way it sounded. Yes, I understood what you were asking, but I meant that also had been covered in a couple of post about how to tell. Did you get what you needed? Sorry bro!!!

Old 03-04-2008, 08:35 AM
I have to agree with Galaxy. I don't think towing in overdrive will take out a tranny. The keys are to keep the converter locked and to avoid frequent hunting; which indicates you are right on the edge of requiring a downshift so any little thing makes it happen. What I think about is the load on the engine. It is certainly a tougher pull in overdrive. But Ford should have that figured out in their engine/tranny programming. So you shouldn't have to worry about lugging your engine either.

Quick Reply: Towing w/ Overdrive