Towing & Hauling

How big of a drop hitch do I need for a 6" lift?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 10:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How big of a drop hitch do I need for a 6" lift?

I've got a 2001 Screw w/ a 6" Fabtech lift on it. I'm going to be pulling a buddy of mine's boat next week for some wakeboarding on the lake, but I need to go pick up a drop hitch to accommodate the lift. How much of a drop do I need, are there any particular styles/brand hitches you guys recommend, and where would be the cheapest place to get them?

Old 03-04-2008, 11:34 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Find out from your Buddy what the measurement is from the ground to the TOP of the hitch when the trailer is level.

Lets say it's 18"... You then need to measure how high the TOP of your hitch is from the ground. Lets say it's 26" Subtract the two and you will need a 8" drop.

The most basic drop hitch size is 2". That's the one that will put the bottom of the ball mount at the same level as the BOTTOM of your hitch. In the above example, you will need a drop that puts the ball mount at 16" above the ground or at the top of the ball at 18".

Those are harder to find, and going 'cheap' on that kind of thing ain't the best IMO..... You are creating a huge 'lever' on your hitch with that much drop, so you want the most beefy one you can get!

Good luck and have a great time skiing!

Mitch

Quick Reply: How big of a drop hitch do I need for a 6" lift?